BMFA National Flying Centre

Just received a pdf club bulletin no 221 and don't know how to post them embarrassed

Full Council meeting on May 16th

Item 7 on agenda reads: To receive a joint report from the Chairman and the Chief Executive Officer to include the following:

(a) Update on the National Centre feasibility study, presented by Manny Williamson.

(b) Proposal from the Chairman that Council endorses the actions agreed upon unanimously by the BMFA Executive Committee on 11th April to make all relevant planning and change of use searches while concurrently contacting the selling agent of Laws Lawn Farm in East Northamptonshire in order to open negotiations on making an offer to purchase (subject to contract) the said property.

Can anyone tell me what this is about please.

John

john-looks like someone made a proposal on the 11th April to pursue the matter(make an offer for the named farm in Northampton).....reading between the lines ----- its going to be the 'national centre' as mentioned else where on the forum and in the BMFA news.....

ken Anderson.... ne...1 reading between the lines dept.

At £1.25m and with a BMFA membership of approx 30,000, that works out around £40 a head ...

Could do with a donation from an altruistic lottery winner ...

I wonder when the membership will be told about this? ... because I'm sure that not all BMFA members are active on this forum and therefore wouldn't know about this.

Posted by Martin Harris on 30/04/2015 00:17:23:

Don't worry, there's a much better field half a mile to the North with a nice tarmac runway which the RAF only use once in a while now they've given away all our Harriers....

What are you 'Wittering' on about ???

Posted by avtur on 30/04/2015 00:26:09:

At £1.25m and with a BMFA membership of approx 30,000, that works out around £40 a head ...

I wonder when the membership will be told about this? ... because I'm sure that not all BMFA members are active on this forum and therefore wouldn't know about this.

When the begging bowl comes around.

Posted by cymaz on 30/04/2015 06:26:43:
Posted by avtur on 30/04/2015 00:26:09:

When the begging bowl comes around.

I'm in favour of the National Centre idea, but slipping out the intention of ........... "contacting the selling agent of Laws Lawn Farm in East Northamptonshire in order to open negotiations on making an offer to purchase (subject to contract) the said property" in a club bulletin, appears to be a good way of upsetting people. Why now before the results of the feasibility study have even been released? Very odd.

I think that it is great and I hope it goes well. Looks big enough to hold the RC and CL Nats although not sure what access would be like

I suspect that a loan/mortgage will be taken out say - payable over 25 years - that will reduce the burden on the membership. Its low risk as land prices will always rise.

The biggest risk is that planning permission is granted for housing within a mile or so and the site gets a noise embargo

Martyn

If the change of use is specifically includes "the use IC Engines and Model Aviation" and is granted,and the site registered with the CAA as an airfield then it would be far more difficult for any subsequently built housing to make any valid complaints - and if the change of use was granted and a planning application for housing too close to the site, then a legitimate objection to the housing application could be made as it would be in conflict with the new use of the farm - I think!

Looks a great site and I hope it goes ahead, but not greatly impressed that we have been made aware of it via a "back door leak" as it were rather than a formal announcement by the BMFA

from what I have read in the BMFA news, yes I read it all, the intent is to seek funding from several sources, the lottery for example, and it has been stated that any purchase will be on a no cost to members, Can I suggest a read of the article in the last news, it answers quite a few questions that will no doubt be raised here, I for one support such a venture, aeromoddeling for too long has been "hidden" away like something to be ashamed of this is a good move forward to raise the profile and allow us all the use of a facility, as to where it is surely the centre of the land mass, or as near as can be achieved is the way to go, whether Manny or anyone else lives near by is irrelevant, Manny is mr BMFA, he works full time to improve the lot of moddelers in the UK,

chris

It makes sense that any National Site be fairly central within the country and as Manny works at the Leicester office then any site in central England will not be far from where he lives.

I think a national site is a great idea and would be willing to make a donation if members are asked.