BMFA National Flying Centre

They should at least gain cast-iron guarantees from the local authority that noise levels up to and including pulse jets will not be open to challenge from surrounding residents - in perpetuity! That should just about cover the noise aspect....smile

Pete

Who is to say that it wouldn't be the first of several 'national or regional centres'. Everything has to start somewhere.

Some epic negativity being displayed already, I live nowhere near but I do support the general principle. Its about time this hobby / sport put down some roots.

Posted by Pete B - Moderator on 30/04/2015 13:44:57:

They should at least gain cast-iron guarantees from the local authority that noise levels up to and including pulse jets will not be open to challenge from surrounding residents - in perpetuity! That should just about cover the noise aspect....smile

Pete

Cast Iron guarantees from politicians Pete?

you'll find that on the shelf between hens teeth and unicorn horns ....

Not negative, just very odd behaviour.

No chance of the membership to have a say. No guarantee that the land will have permission for flying. No idea as to where the money is coming from or how it should be raised. No completion yet of the feasibility study.

Just odd.

There is one good thing though, the site is near Barnsdale, so swmbo can go and visit Geoff Hamilton's gardens.

Edited By cymaz on 30/04/2015 17:23:05

Of course we are negative......we are being asked to pay for someone else's flying field! Most BMFA members will live too far away to fly there every week, so it's just for the few who live near. Meanwhile the rest of us have to pay for our own flying field as well!

It's too easy to spend other peoples's money.

Edited By kc on 30/04/2015 18:33:18

Well it looks like we will have some news shortly, and there was a link with further info in bulletin that I could not open. Why is asking a question negative ? or is it just the norm to throw these comments at folk you think hold or express a different opinion, the posts seem pretty even in my opinion. What's my opinion ? I don't know till I hear something to have one about. But some of you seem to manage to form an opinion before any facts and figures are presented to you, and i'll refrain from adding a comment on that.

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 30/04/2015 18:47:44

Posted by kc on 30/04/2015 18:32:40:

Of course we are negative......we are being asked to pay for someone else's flying field! Most BMFA members will live too far away to fly there every week, so it's just for the few who live near. Meanwhile the rest of us have to pay for our own flying field as well!

It's too easy to spend other peoples's money.

Edited By kc on 30/04/2015 18:33:18

Its actually a great deal more than that KC, apart from the fact that the BMFA have said funds will not be drawn from the membership, the creation of a national centre will benefit the entire hobby in a multitude of ways, not the least being to re-enforce the hobby in the way that the National Cycling Centre here in Manchester did - before its creation hardly anyone knew there were British cyclists - now they are a dominant world force in the sport - its about creating a critical mass something local clubs cant do

Posted by john stones 1 on 30/04/2015 18:43:24:

Well it looks like we will have some news shortly, and there was a link with further info in bulletin that I could not open. Why is asking a question negative ? or is it just the norm to throw these comments at folk you think hold or express a different opinion, the posts seem pretty even in my opinion. What's my opinion ? I don't know till I hear something to have one about. But some of you seem to manage to form an opinion before any facts and figures are presented to you, and i'll refrain from adding a comment on that.

John

Edited By john stones 1 on 30/04/2015 18:47:44

It would be interesting to know what the additional link was that you could not access John.

Did anyone else receive the bulletin who can access the link?

Maybe this link explains all? After all, I think we are due an explanation after we were told that nothing is decided yet, and then find out through some obscure meeting minutes that an offer may have been placed on a property already. Strange thing to do if nothing has been decided!

Regardless of what your view may be on the National Heritage Centre, the BMFA leadership appear to be undertaking a bit more than a feasibility study as they told us they were doing. I think they have some explaining to do.

Gary

I assume that this is the missing link John?

http://www.bmfa.org/DesktopModules/Bring2mind/DMX/Download.aspx?Command=Core_Download&EntryId=1170&language=en-GB&PortalId=0&TabId=1336

Edit - link fixed - No it's not - Oh I give up. BMFA don't make things easy do they?

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/04/2015 21:52:02

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/04/2015 21:54:19

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/04/2015 21:54:56

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/04/2015 21:57:24

Edited By Gary Manuel on 30/04/2015 21:58:31

Just spent a fruitless 1/2 hour trying to find these minutes on the bmfa web.....no joysad

Went into he full council search in the news headlines/ news flash....top story, a model ballon stolen.

Oh it's all cloak and dagger in my opinion.

US secret service could learn a thing or two off the bmfa.

Posted by cymaz on 30/04/2015 22:11:09:

Just spent a fruitless 1/2 hour trying to find these minutes on the bmfa web.....no joysad

Went into he full council search in the news headlines/ news flash....top story, a model ballon stolen.

Oh it's all cloak and dagger in my opinion.

US secret service could learn a thing or two off the bmfa.

The minutes are not usually published until after a meeting is held. wink 2

Found it, under club news and bulletins. Nothing mentioned on the link from the NFC banner.

I am beginning to wonder, if I found public liability insurance on a par to one offered by the BMFA, why should I continue my involvement?

Edited By cymaz on 30/04/2015 22:30:34

Posted by cymaz on 30/04/2015 22:28:39:

Found it, under club news and bulletins. Nothing mentioned on the link from the NFC banner.

I am beginning to wonder, if I found public liability insurance on a par to one offered by the BMFA, why should I continue my involvement?

Edited By cymaz on 30/04/2015 22:30:34

If you keep looking Cymaz you will find you can get it a lot cheaper , bit like HK though , no customer service..

You're right, of course, Iqon. Though I do feel that the ordinary modellers are being keep in the dark and short changed.

Thank God for this forum. It is far more open and informative, more than the bmfa could ever be at the moment over the NFC.

Having read the information in the link provided by iqon, the justification for purchase of the land makes perfect sense. Such a site would allow the BMFA to hold events under its own control, not relying on the vagaries of MOD or other land. Also, those in clubs who do not have good instructor/examiner provision would have this as a final backup, even if it did mean travelling for the occasion.

What does not make sense is the difficulty in finding this stuff by navigating the BMFA website!

Actually John, you are referring to the Executive Council meeting of 11th April and their minutes do not appear to be published. Full Council minutes are published. The item in the Club Bulletin is the Agenda for Full Council to be held on 16th May. Only Full Council can make major decisions such as agreeing to proceed with a National Centre or, indeed, to the proposal relating to "to open negotiations on making an offer to purchase". Full Council Minutes are published including provisional minutes i.e. those that are yet to be formally accepted at the next meeting since changes can still be made to them to reflect any inaccuracies in fact. The provisional Full Council minutes of the January meeting are on the BMFA website and can be downloaded if you want to read them.

All Clubs sit within an Area and vote on whom they wish to represent them at Council, (a bit like we vote for MPs to represent us in Parliament but without the same extensive expenses claims!). Your delegate will vote on whether they think the case has been made to take another step along this road and on the proposal to open negotiations based on the case that is presented. They should also brief their Area Committees (which include your Club Representative) on the outcome of the discussion and seek feedback from members via their Club representatives to represent your views at the next Full Council meeting, which will be in September. It may also be that the matter will have to be taken at the AGM.

There has already been a number of articles on the NFC and the BMFA is now seeking views from members on this topic and Manny is providing a response to many if not all of them. I understand that there will be more information provided through a number of channels to the membership as a whole to keep members in the picture on what is happening on this topic. I cannot see that the charge that "ordinary modellers are being kept in the dark" is entirely fair. If, as some say, they throw their copy of the BMFA News in the bin without reading it, how else can the Association get the information to the membership? Well, there is the BMFA website, of course, where there is some information on the NFC as well as a section for members to comment on the NFC and Manny has given his reply to most of these comments.

AFAIK, until Full Council agrees to the proposal then the BMFA will not be committed even to opening negotiations on making a purchase. This proposal will be discussed and voted on at the meeting on 16th May. The creation of an NFC is still not done and dusted as there will be a few more rounds of meetings, discussions and feedback before we get to the point where a definitive decision to go ahead with the NFC is proposed to Full Council.

What does seem a bit is that item one is "to receive an update on the feasibility study" - thats an update NOT the final feasibility study report which should form the basis of a "go/no go" decision point

Yet the next item is initiate negotiations to buy the property - I would have assumed that action would not be initiated until the feasibility study had reported positively and the finances were secured - but afaik there has been no mention of the BMFA securing any funding.....

I haven't read the entire thread but have noted there is some concern that negotiations have been opened before a final decision has been made. In my experience it is usual to express an interest in property as soon as it comes on the market, subject to "conditions" eg planning, test results, clients approval etc. to make sure you are kept "in the loop" and prevent it being sold to another party without you being aware of the current position.