Model Flying Workshop Special

kc

Looking at the magazines in WH Smiths yesterday I noticed a Workshop Special on sale. I had not seen it there before so i assume it's just out. It's here on MyHobbyStores website.

Certainly worth buying for anyone who is a newcomer to building planes

. The article by David Boddington has lots of info that a novice builder needs to know. Of course an article by 'Boddo' made me question whether it was really a new publication. Might be based on the old articles in the Plans handbook years ago. With very good diagrams that explain the mysteries of plans this should be a worthwhile buy for anyone who has not seen Boddo's plan explanation before and has not seen these diagrams before. I suspect the diagrams might even be the old ones done by Peter Holland years ago. Either his or someone doing it to the same high standard of clarity. The particular copy I saw had a rather faint ink on these diagrams which is a pity. Worth checking your copy before buying if you need this ( essential) info on building from plans.

Other articles on repairing may seem a bit familiar to those who have read RCME over the years but very useful to anyone who hasn't seen them before. These articles on repairing ARTF will almost certainly make the cost of the publication pay for itself if it helps you save just one model.

Quite a few other articles too. Worth a look.

Advert

You can buy it from MyHobbyStores for 4.99 plus 1.99 postage.

Unless you have one of David Boddington's books or one of Peter Holland's books you will need the building from plans info in the Workshop Special when you start building from plans. Buy it while it's still available.

WH Smith in Lakeside Thurrock has it for anyone in the area.

Edited By kc on 18/06/2015 18:30:34

• 1 month later...

I have searched and searched but it's disappeared now so it may be out of print. Try a phone call to MyHobbyStores to see if they still have a copy. ( dont bother with e-mails, phone calls get more action! )

otherwise try to get WH Smith to see if they can order a copy and get it from one of their other branches, Make sure they dont confuse it with Model Engineers Workshop.

Just for clarity, this isn't a regular issue of RCME but was published by our special issues people in the company. They asked me what I thought would go down well and I suggested bringing together all the really meaty tutorial articles, including the workshop features, that we've run in the regular magazine over the last few years.

Distribution was to WHS stores and by mail but I'm told they've sold out at the warehouse so it's a case of trying a few WHS stores now.

My involvement was to suggest the articles for inclusion but I'm glad it has been well received, there's certainly loads of useful info in it.

Our annual special issue, full of all-new articles, is due at the end of Sept will go to subscribers in the usual manner of course. 

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 20/08/2015 08:00:52

I lifted mine around 3mths ago! I was surprised to see it in Smiths as it was not mentioned in the RCME at the time (I checked).. I saw two copies this week in Smiths again, so perhaps the last of the stock has been sent out to stores now..

Handy as a reference/refresher read!, saves me scanning articles and printing them off..

Distribution was to WHS stores and by mail but I'm told they've sold out at the warehouse so it's a case of trying a few WHS stores now.

My involvement was to suggest the articles for inclusion but I'm glad it has been well received, there's certainly loads of useful info in it.

I came across it by chance in Essex 3-4 weeks ago while on the road, and as a beginner I am grateful: it includes several guides to e.g. servo mounting, covering, motors, which are really informative & useful. I'll be keeping this handy as a reference.

rgds Tony

I acquired a copy last week in a WH Smith in Hampshire.

One minor quibble was in the article on connectors: inadequate connectors won't cause a current loss unless they are incredibly badly made and have a leakage path. They might however introduce an excessive voltage loss if used beyond their spec due to a higher than designed resistance.

Hi, I am very new to the hobby and this publication looks ideal for my situation as I have just finished actually building the workshop. I have tried to buy it from the publishers website but when the page refreshes my cart is empty and I can find no trace of the magazine when I search for it. Is it available digitally? Is it available in Australia?

• 1 month later...