Help in choice of DSLR camera.

Samuel Wragg

Advert

I agree with Percy. I used to think SLR were the business, and compacts for tourists.However, now with digitalisation, I realise everything I used to value can be placed in a camera smaller than a cigarette packet-and I suspect high performance could be made even smaller, manufacturers are just waiting on customer preference before they roll out what they are really capable of!

hello sam,

i used to be a member of the local photographic club in the days of 35mm film etc and carted around a slr and all the accesories...until the invention of digital cameras ................... now a decent qualiyt compact camera is the way to go...you are spoiled for choice around the £200.00 mark...and as mentioned above ...... no humping lots of stuff around etc...have a look in PC world...and put one on your list from the lad with the red coat on...

ken anderson...ne...1.... photographic dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 28/11/2015 10:14:59

Hello Sam. I have been an ardent photographer since the early 70's and a Nikon user for the last 20 years.I agree with Percy's comments but as my main interest is aviation photography I find DSLR's superior in every respect for this type of filming. We have other Nikon mirror less camera's used for holidays etc but I just cannot get the results I want when shooting aircraft without using my D90, or D3000. I still use my F5 film camera occasionally, buying film from Poundland when I see it ! This camera gives immense pleasure when I use it but digital wins now I'm afraid . Of course other brands available!

Hope this is useful. Colin .

Posted by Dave Smith 15 on 28/11/2015 10:23:18:

Sorry to disagree with the majority of replies here, but in my opinion, a modern DSLR will still knock spots off any compact. The range of lenses available for Nikon and Canon ensure that will be the case for many years to come. I use a Nikon D7200, and coupled with a 35mm f1.8 Nikkor, the picture quality is outstanding. Add the ability to change that lens for any from a range of 100s, and the sheer flexibility of an SLR remains unbeaten.

All this is true, but while a DSLR is superior to the old SLR, a digital compact is also superior to the old SLR, and also allows you to use all sorts of effects on your PC!

All depends on what you want Sam.

Similar to Colin I do a lot of aviation photography and take it quite seriously, a couple of full frame 'pro' bodies and L series lenses. It's not cheap but I get photos I'm proud of that a compact won't get remotely close to. If you're looking for more landscapes and street photography then there are some very good Sony cameras out there with full frame sensors that take some gorgeous shots. If you can give an indication of what you'll be shooting and an approximate budget it would help enormously thumbs up

Ted, I agree that processing can be used to great effect (and I do) but in my opinion it's no substitute for experience and using good settings. Whilst you can enhance a shot the core file still needs to be good.

p.s. Colin, I use Canon. Shhhhhhh smile o

I have DSLrs, Canon are my choice. I also have a Fuji HS 10 with a 30 times zoom and a Sony HX90 compact also with 30X zoom (Given to me by Amazon to review)

The only cameras that will give me the flying shots of my models that I want are the Canon DSLRs. The others are not nearl as sharp and do not tract the models well even if you can pick them up with the view finder.

This helicopter shot was taken with the Fuji HS 10. It is one mile 200 yards away (I know because itis hovering over our flying field)

The pictureof Jezebel below is the quality needed for my flying shots. and I can't get that with anything except the DSLRs

I would say that the Sony is far too complicated and does not come with a manual. You NEED the manual available on the internet, just carry your laptop with you!

eg. to cancel the self timer you have to go into the screen and select single shot! Not what you might call intuitive!!

helicopter+012.jpg

jez flt_8.jpg

I have a ten year old entry level Canon DSLR and lens kit and it's great for my needs. I could do with a video recording option, so if I was to 'upgrade' I'd go with a compact like a Lumix or something, but then I know the SLR would get even less outings.

Some of the amateur aviation stuff my old SLR has taken: **LINK**

Personally I've always ben a bit sceptical to see any camera described as a 'digital' SLR. Unless I'm mistaken, a Single Lens Reflex is a setup whereby what is seen in the viewfinder is taken straight from the camera lens (hence the 'single lens'.

Now as any digital camera these days uses a LCD screen as the viewfinder with the image coming from the object lens anyway, that bit of light bending inside the camera to a separate viewfinder is pointless. Sure, they're high quality cameras, but calling them SLRs to me is totally unnecessary.

I am in the same position. I too am looking around for a digital SLR.

I currently use an old Nikon with a fixed zoom lens, and it is very good, but is very slow to respond to the button and auto-focusing, so I miss too many of the shots I try to take.

I had a chat with a bloke who does a lot of model aviation photography for publication, and the gist of his comments were...

Buy either Nikon or Canon. (He uses Canon but...)

Don't worry about getting the absolute maximum megapixels - you won't need them.

Nikon used to be the tops for optical quality, but now Canon have overtaken them.

Hope this helps (a bit).

Plummet

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 28/11/2015 11:11:45:

Personally I've always ben a bit sceptical to see any camera described as a 'digital' SLR. Unless I'm mistaken, a Single Lens Reflex is a setup whereby what is seen in the viewfinder is taken straight from the camera lens (hence the 'single lens'.

Now as any digital camera these days uses a LCD screen as the viewfinder with the image coming from the object lens anyway, that bit of light bending inside the camera to a separate viewfinder is pointless. Sure, they're high quality cameras, but calling them SLRs to me is totally unnecessary.

Except mine has no live LCD viewfinder, only a traditional viewfinder which I have to look through to shoot which shows me what I'm looking at straight from the lens. The 'digital' in DSLR is the processor which replaces the film. That's all.

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 28/11/2015 11:11:45:

Sorry but your completely wrong, at least with the SLRs I've been looking at recently. If you look through the viewfinder of an SLR without switching the camera on you will see exactly what the lens is pointing at. Non-SLRs only show an image in the viewfinder (if they have one) when the camera is switched on.

Like Peter, I too have a Fuji HS-10 and a Canon DSLR. I totally agree about the flying shots, the Canon is far better than the Fuji, however for static/non action shots, the ease of use and versatility of the Fuji is second to none.

Buy both for the best of all eventualities! wink

Steve

If the object of the exercise is to take non-action shots then the compact cameras are great, the mobile phone is pretty awesome these days, and we carry one of those nearly all the time!

If you want anything that requires a quick response to the shutter release then it has to be an SLR, DSLR these days as I simply couldn't afford the cost of the film, especially with the number of shots I take.

Nearly everybody I meet at flying events are toting Canon equipment, but I had one repeatedly fail on me back in the 80's (film) and have been with Nikon since then, D70, D90 and now the full frame D810 which is a real corker of a body, but at 25Mb+ per image it eats camera cards very quickly.

You pay your money and take your choice....

Hi Percy, not really the speed of the card seems to dictate how quickly the camera is ready to store the next image, allowing for cache.

What I am referring to is the time from pressing the shutter button to the camera taking a apicture. My 810 is as near to virtually instantaneous and if you are trying to get a shot of a jet travelling fast across in front of you it is that reaction time that counts. Bear in mind the lens too has to lock on and focus in that split second too, though it will have been tracking all the time (depending on the setting) I will often take a burst of shots, and this is where the speed of the card comes into play, the slow cards will not allow so many shots per second.

The digital compact cameras and mobiles don't track and always lag while they focus before allowing you to take the shot, you can tweek the settings, and use what some call sports mode to try and speed things up but imo they don't come close to an SLR/DSLR which yends to capture more spontaneous images.

And as for the cards being identical, I would argue that many compact camera users wouldn't pay the price I pay for ultra fast cards. A compact camera doesn't need the image saving speed so why pay three or four times the price?

Just my opinion mind you

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/11/2015 13:27:21

Edited By Danny Fenton on 28/11/2015 13:27:55

I too agree with Percy, I have a Canon D70 DSLR and a Panasonic Lumix GF3 compact with inter-changable lenses, for general photography and holidays etc I use the GF3 as it's so easy to use and small size means it's easy to take with you. For flying shots and airshows I use my older lower resolution (8 vs 12 MP) D70 as the results are much better.

But back to your original question, maybe the Pentax would be a better choice then you can share lenses with your daughter.

Posted by Samuel Wragg on 28/11/2015 09:35:46:

Fellow enthusiasts.

After buying my daughter a Pentax K3 & Tameron 18-300 lens for her birthday to help her on her way, I now have decided to treat myself as I enjoy this subject.

I have narrowed my chioce of camera body to the Nikon D5500 or the Pentax K2.

Your thoughts would be most welcome.

Sam

......................................................................................................................................................................

hello again sam...bet you regret saying your thoughts are most welcome! teeth 2........... back to your original Q..i dont think either will sell you short.......maybe as suggested a good idea to get the pentax...and you can exchange lenses with your daughter.....

ken anderson...ne...1..... advice+ dept.

Thank you all for taking time out to share your advice which has given me something to think about.

I think Percy hit the spot straight away with his first post. I have a Canon ixus 155 compact that like Percy says, it just slips in your pocket. This little compact has traveled the world and has taken some great images along the way.

I just assumed that a Dslr camera would give me better sharper images, but what I want the camera for this is appareñtly not so. The reason I bought my daughters pentax k3 is because she's keen on art/photography and wants to make a career out of her passion of creating arty images. Naturally I wanted to give her a start

I have already considered that if I bought a Pentax we could exchange lenses. The reason I identified the Nikon was based on the availability of my choice of one size fits all lens.

This past summer out on a photo shoot we was in Lincoln cathedral where the BBC was filming. I managed a sneaky peak at the HD camera that was set up on a tripod and was took by suprise..... it was a canon body fitted with a telephoto Sony lens.........

I think I will have to review my choice and include Sony / Zeiss and Leica compacts

Sam