Gluing Canopies

Erfolg

I am assembling a canopy from three pieces. Which need to be made into one by glueing.

I have moulded the three sections from pop bottles, which i think are made from PET.

I have tried two trial joints. The first using Cyno + activator, which does not really work.

I have also used Canopy Glue by 5 star, which seems reluctant to dry. If it works could be a few days from knowing.

Any experiences and tips?

Advert

If using a canopy glue (most types), try putting a thin bead on each surface and then leave it until it is almost dry (it starts to go clear). Then place the canopy in it's final position. Using this method stops the glue squeezing out and only takes a couple of hours to set. It's a bit like using a contact adhesive.

Edited By Model Monster on 15/12/2015 21:52:56

Whatever brand of canopy glue I've used, the secret seems to be in giving it a long enough time to set. I carefully rough up the area where I intend to apply the glue onto, both the canopy and around the fuz cockpit area. This even works on 'iron on' film, and can be carefully sanded just make sure the film has been ironed down and sealed properly around the cockpit area with a covering iron. ! generally put masking tape on up to the edge of the cockpit line where the canopy will fit so that I don't over sand into the area beyond the canopy line where it will be seen. Then I glue and secure the canopy with tape and leave it for a minimum of 48 hours. This works for me and never lost a canopy yet. Any residues after its dried can be removed with meths.

48 hours I know sounds a long time but the glue takes longer to go off under plastic ... but worth the wait to have a secure canopy.

Ronaldo

The UHU glue in a yellow box from the pound shops works very well on acetate, dries quickly and for me, has been rock solid.

Its a bit like Bostick clear, it will 'string' as being applied and once on the clear material can only be wiped off will celly thinner but if care is taken to work cleanly it works well

Our 5 Star Canopy glue should do it with no problems , but will take longer as plastic to plastic, slower than canopy onto wood (one surface porous) and often slower than onto a plastic covering as plastic to plastic moulded parts tend to fit better so less area exposed to air for evaporation , when I do this I put tiny pin holes in the underside of the joint to get faster bonding through out the bondline.

Stu

The info on Uhu clear, is handy information, even if it does not work on the canopy, which at present is sat on a radiator , being encouraged to dry.

It is handy as i used to buy a solvent based adhesive from Toolstation, who have ceased selling it. Although not suitable for many polymeric materials is most useful for other random tasks, particularly sticking the Rx double sided tape to ply, etc.

Message to 5star

It seems that you have relocated, many, including myself, have know idea to where. If true, please let it be somewhere a long way from the Runcorn Bridge, preferably somewhere like Frodsham.

You could be correct in suggesting that the issue is one of a slow drying time with plastic to plastic joint.

Perhaps the idea of partially letting a film to partially dry is a very good one. Although i received the post to late to try it with this item.

I have roughened the two surfaces ti hopefully help in forming a better joint. Although, I assume that with this sort of joint i would guess it is Van der Waal forces, rather than a mechanical bond that predominates.

Hi Erflog . If you want a quick permanent fix try 302 adhesive . It a two part methacrylate that bonds nearly all plastics except polythene .I use it wherever other conventional glues wont work . It sets in about five minutes and cures fully over 24 hrs. Its not clear but slightly milky . search on e-bay its about £2.50 a pack with a good shelf life.