John's Ballerina Build

Advert

Plan out how you want to apply the pieces, in what order and where the overlaps are going to be before you mix any resin. Also cut the pieces quite accurately and avoid pointy corners, they're harder to sand away!

You'll notice the cloth is stretchy in one direction and you can use this to help get around simple or complex curves. Finally keep the work area cool, it gives you more time to work the resin!

Can't wait to see the photos. C'mon John, be brave. I won't laugh. yes

P.S my first cowl was lumpier than my wifes custard, and that's really bad! secret

I cut plenty small pieces, did it outside in the shed because of the smell (nice n cool). I had all the tools at hand, mixed it up carefully, wore a good mask, pit boots, donkey jacket n ear defenders and once I started I had tools n bit of allsorts stuck to myself and the plug teeth 2

I did the work of two men..and you can guess which two wink

Will take a picture tomorrow, warts n all, no lighting in shed.

John

Hi John,

Regarding your glass clothing, I really don't want to play some 'teaching' part in here. But I was thinking that I should anyway to help you on the way as I have about 30 years of experience with composites in 'real life'. So, please allow me.

'Overlapping' & 'crossing' are the rules of strength in composite build ups. Think about how ply is obtained or even my Deply laminating procedure.

You should start with cutting some pieces of glass cloth - if you have a tapered form like in the case of a cowl, just cut them as if you were building an air-balloon, next to each other - 'dry' of course without any resin/epoxy.

Then, just 'paint' your mold with some resin & apply the cloth next to each other, as you have been cutting them. Apply some resin to them & try to avoid any bubbles. Let slightly cure until tacky. In the meantime prepare a second layer of 'air-balloon-cuts' and apply them starting in the middle of each first segment, thus obtaining some 'over-plying'. Alternate a potential 3rd layer the same way.

Also, please don't use 'tissue' on small parts as it absorbs too much resin & weights a lot more. A 'LOT' more.

Good luck, John

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR FG Control

I like the idea of the dowel through the center/thrust line! I'm stealing that! laugh

Keep the resin and work area cool, it'll give you a little bit more time to work.

For sanding I start with 60g to get the shape and get rid of the bigger lumps, then 80g to remove most of the 60g scratches. When I finished the outer glassing this time I sanded it down with 80g, 120g then 400g before melting the plug. Doing it this was meant the cowl was rigid for sanding.

Looks OK so far John. yes At least it isn't stuck to the bench! surprise

Right then it's question time wink

As you can see it looks rough crook nothing that some sanding and filler won't put right though. So what's next step ?

Fill and sand then add a coat of resin, or is resin no good without the cloth ?

Will be adding some strength inside when the plugs out so don't really want to add any more cloth.

John

b64 001.jpg

I've no idea Craig, was just some I had from an auction, I spent £13 on resin and filler from motorist DIY, I could have managed with the small tin of fastglass as it turns out, so would have been under £10.

Best bit for me is having a go, then in future you've the option when you do a scratch build yes

John

Posted by john stones 1 on 17/02/2016 17:44:54:

Right then it's question time wink

As you can see it looks rough crook nothing that some sanding and filler won't put right though. So what's next step ?

Fill and sand then add a coat of resin, or is resin no good without the cloth ?

Will be adding some strength inside when the plugs out so don't really want to add any more cloth.

John

b64 001.jpg

I always give it a coat of resin after sanding the lumps off. The last coat of resin will soak into any cloth exposed by sanding and seals the edges and strands.

You will need to do more finish sanding after the final clothless resin coat though.