John's Ballerina Build

Posted by McG 6969 on 23/01/2016 08:59:25:Two questions though > 1/ what is the reason that you're only gluing F1 & F6 at this time? 2/ When I glue my plybox together, should I use epoxy or aliphatic?

Chris, If you fly electric I am quite sure you can also use PVA or Aliphatic on the firewall. That joint is reinforced with a trangle piece at one side which makes for a huge glue area. Per square mm loads are very low (with the possible exception of a crash). I am not sure about the fuel resistance of PVA/aliphatic, so for IC applications epoxy might be better.

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 25/01/2016 06:49:14

Posted by john stones 1 on 24/01/2016 21:14:25:

Quite a bit of work on this wing but I'm nearly there. I used a Q tip tub to do the radius on the sheeting, used 3 pieces for the full depth so laid last piece underneath the second to get a measure.

Don't forget the scrap infills where the w/bolts go.

Johnb35 002.jpg

b35 001.jpg

I used an old spinner backing platewink

b35 003.jpg

Posted by john stones 1 on 25/01/2016 16:27:19:

That's Bobs wing of another model Pete, mines not likely to be covered with the same amount of skill sad

John

Not so much skill John, just bad lighting wink. Black is not a good colour to use if you want to hide blemishes.

Pete, as John said, it's not a Ballerina but a Thunderbird - each wing half is 43" so there are one or two more ribs. I put it up to illustrate how any monkey can attempt scalloped trim and get away with it. I was a bit nervous when I started covering it but it turned out to be easier than I expected - apart from the shear size of the film panels.