John's Ballerina Build

I wish more people would show their tips in build blogs. yes

I think this will be the first model I've ever build where the tips are added after completing the wing. I've always built them in whilst the wing is still on the board.

I think I'll hang back a little and see how people are going to join them before deciding what to do with mine!

As far as I am concerned there aree two reasons. First, it makes the wing a little shorter to handle until the tips go on. Waving an extra 6" of wing around in a confined space can cause hangar rash or , rather, more hangar rash.

Second, it is rather difficult getting the bottom sheet on the tip while it is still on the board.

Not quite sure what you mean AVC, I used the sketch of the tip and aileron section to draw a line on the end rib, then fitted it, did require a bit of sanding before sheeting and fitting cap strips, but I put that down to my cutting of parts.

Very happy with it myself, feels strong and light, the extra rib on sheet itself looks good. smiley

John

p.s cheers Percy

Posted by AVC on 17/01/2016 12:55:27:

Hi John

The photo below is one of my tip. The height of the tip rib and the triangular support are not the same, the rib is higher and it shouldn't be

dsc_0008.jpg

I've been pondering the wing tips, too. I noticed that the tip rib is bigger than the cross section at the main spar. I think it's another modification introduced after Peter released his drawing. The height on the cross section is 10mm and rib is 15mm. I intend to adjust the tip rib height to suit the tip brace by slicing 5mm off the bottom.

Geoff