John's Ballerina Build

Was going to the field today but weathers awful sad have some work done on the cockpit, means i'll soon be doing the stringers crook

First I skinned F5 with 1/64 ply, then set about sheeting the cockpit frame, kept it pinned down to keep it flat, pretty happy with that, when dry i'll use a card template to do the cut out. Sveta looks at home smiley

Johnb49 002.jpgb49 001.jpgb49 003.jpgb49 004.jpg

b49 005.jpg

Nice job John - your hatch is pretty much exactly how I'd planned to do mine, including the rake on F5. Can't quite see how you've engaged it into the firewall - I'll probably key it in with a c/f peg or a bit of dowl. Currently debatlng latching mechanisms (I have a few potential designs floating around in my head) and weighing up whether to go with a hidden latch or to see if magnets will hold it firm enough. I've got lots of Neodymium magnets, we'll see when I get to that bit.

Simon

Plan is a dowel up front and I'm thinking I can make a sprung loaded catch to mimic a joystick Simon, I don't like magnets that calls for accurate measuring and fitting so that's me snookered sad

Mate of mine had an ARTF and one of the magnets dropped out, he super glued it back in and had a cuppa whilst it dried, when he tried to fit canopy to fly it kept jumping back off, Numpty teeth 2

John

Started on the hinging, ailerons first, I use Kavan leaf/pin hinges on this sort of model, and 30 min epoxy to glue them. Bit of balsa added to wing t/e first (poor picture) then cut through centre line for 2 hinges, then I pin the aileron in place and mark through the slot for aileron...easy winkbit of balsa added to l/e of aileron as well.

Johnb53 002.jpgb53 001.jpgb53 003.jpgb53 004.jpgb53 005.jpg

b53 006.jpg