Well, its almost New Year's Eve, and lots of you are chomping at the bit! So lets get started.

We can use this as a general chat thread while the build is going on and please do try to blog your build in an individual thread.

Let's all remember - there are are as many ways of building this model as there are of us! And all of them are right! wink 2

Enjoy the build! This will be fun!smile

BEB

Advert

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 30/12/2015 23:31:17:

LOL! I weakened Chris. If its any consolation I still have something on the building board I have to finish first!

BEB

I suspect a few are partially built already anyway! laugh At lease now the build blogs will start to appear and the answers to so many questions will become apparent!

Well I reckon we have 12 Ballerinas started so far - not bad for the 1st Jan. But we had 26 people vote for the Ballerina as their first choice and a further 9 as their second choice - so we should expect more starting soon!

BEB

PS If you are building but not blogging it on here - please can I encourage you to do so? We really don't bite and by blogging your build you not only get help, you can also help others. And most importantly of all its a big part of the fun and the sense of being part of something.

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 01/01/2016 17:10:24

Hello BEB. I started mine a week early as I'll be away most of January on business and holiday travel. I have so far managed to nearly complete both wings (awaiting to join them, top sheeting on the left one and wing tips) The only deviation to Peters plan is that I have fitted two lightweight wing servos - approx 2.8kg.cm on 4.8v each and a few minor personal alterations - which on hindsight were not really needed).

I have cut out and fitted formers F1,2,4 and 6 on one of the fuselage sides so far (minor hiccup when the dog decided to tread all over the first fuselage sheets , so had to recut). I will upload pics on my return . Regretfully no more on this until late Jan. Tailplane done as per the plan (must remember to buy some 14swg wire)

There are five others beside myself building the Ballerina at my club (at least four are not members of the forum; although I have passed details of the thread over to them.) The remaining one has purchased the CNC pack and he will be making a start on his return from holiday next week.(its his first plan build)

I will keep checking the forum to see how the others are progressing and wish them all the best!

Edited By Tomtom39 on 04/01/2016 11:25:26

Hi Tomtom,

that's brilliant - no problem with the starting a bit early under the circumstances - I suspect a few did wink 2. But well done for "keeping it under your hat" as it were!

We can see the benefit of all starting together at the moment - there is a real buzz around the build. I looked on the latest posts page yesterday and I reckon a good quarter of all the threads there were Ballerina build blogs - which shows lots of joint activity and is great! Also I think it's fantastic that everyone is showing a real interest in everyone else's build - that's really is what its all about, a shared experience.

Your progress sounds good - can we convince you to do a blog and show us progress so far?

BEB

Not sure if this is the right place to post. I don't have access to a "Staples" or printing company close by to "flip and copy" the drawing for the wing . I did it the old fashioned way of creeping into my wife's drawers (kitchen!) and purloining some baking parchment (Its perfect size and it comes in a roll from Lakeland plastics) . I traced the lines from the plan (I didn't have any Xerox copying paper , flipped the tracing paper over, marked up the ribs , taped it ( taut) onto my building board and had the left wing pretty much done in a couple of hours.

This post may be a bit weird but I'll post it anyway.

I am not taking part in the MB this year although I have done previously. I did my first build blog and got some good feedback. However, there were times when I thought "what's the point of bothering to post photo's etc... nobody is interested"

This year I am watching all the builds because I like the PM models and the Ballerina in particular. I am seeing the MB from a different perspective this year (I'm getting to the point soon!) - as a watcher it's quite difficult to provide comments all the time without them sounding repetitive so............

For all those people making the effort to chart their progress via a build blog, not just for the MB, please be assured that many people will be watching with admiration, envy and are thankful for the valuable tips, insights and humour you are providing. It really is appreciated even though you may not necessarily think so from comments. For me, seeing other people's building is one of the most interesting parts of the forum.

Hope this makes sense, thanks to all bloggers!

Posted by Masher on 06/01/2016 10:24:59:

This post may be a bit weird but I'll post it anyway.

I am not taking part in the MB this year although I have done previously. I did my first build blog and got some good feedback. However, there were times when I thought "what's the point of bothering to post photo's etc... nobody is interested"

This year I am watching all the builds because I like the PM models and the Ballerina in particular. I am seeing the MB from a different perspective this year (I'm getting to the point soon!) - as a watcher it's quite difficult to provide comments all the time without them sounding repetitive so............

For all those people making the effort to chart their progress via a build blog, not just for the MB, please be assured that many people will be watching with admiration, envy and are thankful for the valuable tips, insights and humour you are providing. It really is appreciated even though you may not necessarily think so from comments. For me, seeing other people's building is one of the most interesting parts of the forum.

Hope this makes sense, thanks to all bloggers!

thumbs up

Good point Masher!

Yeap - if you go a couple of posts without someone else posting - don't worry! People are watching and reading - they're just quietly following what you are doing that's all. One way you can confirm this is that on the "Lastest Posts" page you'll see a column header "Views" - if you keep an eye on this you can see how many people are reading your posts. Check it, do your post, then check it the next day - you'll see it will have gone up a significant ammount even though none of them reading may have actually posted.

Another point on this while I'm here. Some blogs are purely just a record while others seem to draw the reader in and almost invite comment. So if your write in a style like "I did this, then I did that,...." this will attract less comment because, unless your "this and that" is either mega impressive or wrong(!), there isn't much to say about that! But if you tell it like a story "well I was going to do it this way, then I thought hang on maybe it would be better that way" etc. this invites readers to contribute their views. Or if you ask a direct question - "was this the best way to have done this?" that too invites comment likewise.

Now neither of these approaches are right or wrong - its a question of personal style. Both methods produce good and interesting blogs for readers. But if you go with the first one you will tend to get fewer outside contributions - but don't think that means we're not listening!

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 06/01/2016 10:46:07

I am a serial build blogger and also get a bit disillusioned when I think no-one is reading my rambles. I know some of my builds may be a little exotic and don't fit in with the preferred sport or scale ethos that prevails here. However, if one persons gets some benefit from what I write then as far as I am concerned my efforts are worthwhile.

It would be really nice though if there was a like button at the end of each post - some form of acknowledgement system to show that the posting may have been helpful.

M