Classic Ballerina

AVC

Advert

Well, finally I didn't do it before bed time, so more work for next weekend...

I have a question about glue. I always use PVA for most of the building, but to be honest I don't bother about such or such brand, in fact I normally buy the "budget" one (the one I'm using now is asda...)

Yesterday, I went to Wikes and I bought a bottle of Gorilla wood glue. I've noticed it's not white (not as white as PVA...), but it smells quite like PVA. Is it PVA? What's your experience with it?.

Thanks!

Edited By AVC on 11/01/2016 13:12:14

Gorilla glue is a polyurethane compound - as opposed to PVA which is a polyvinyl acetate suspension in water.

Gorilla glue certain sticks well but there are two factors to bear in mind:

1. It ages badly - ie goes off in the bottle! Its seems to crystalise. So make sure its OK when you buy it and hasn't been on the shelf for ages.

2. It expands on curing. This can be useful of course - gap filling etc. - but it can also be a pain if it forces things which are a close fit apart or breaks something - and it can!

I have used it for general work - but very little for aeromodelling - mainly where I do need a bit of gap filling. I much prefer aliphatics.

BEB

Hi all

Well, after some technical issues, the classic Ballerina is back in the stage.

Not too much progresses to report. I've been working on both wing panels before joining them, the plan being to join them tonight.

Here one photo of both panels, nothing really to describe, all quite standard building

dsc_0001.jpg

Then I cut the tip rib, and or I'm doing something wrong, or there a mistake in the plan. When the tip rib is added, it should sit flush with the main spar's triangular support, but that's not the case...

I've seen that Peter Miller didn't build the tip rib in the prototype, so there's no reference...

Some photos here

dsc_0006.jpg

dsc_0008.jpg

I've drafting a build up fuselage fo r the Ballerina. The external frame could be1/4 sq spruce or maybe beechwood, whereas the cross members would be balsa of the same section. The front part would be 1/16 sheet balsa on the outer side, and 1/32 ply on the inner side, with the frame between both.

The photo below shows what I've drafted so far. It's not very clear but I think it gives an idea. I know I probably won't save too much weight, but again I will enjoy building it

Your comments / advices are more than welcome

dsc_0016.jpg