balsa

AndyD

basically when should you throw out the odds and ends of balsa,ive collected so much just latey but it never gets used because of sorting through it all,but i know what will happen if i do bin it...that one piece i need,then you buy a bit more and it starts all over again.

Advert

I think you've answered your own question

Never! wink

I keep mine in an old kit box. I might sort it very occasionally and chuck out scraps that are too small, or that I can duplicate out of other pieces, but that aside it all gets kept

Hi Andy

This is indeed a question that aeromodellers have considered at great length over the years. I too have pondered over that very matter when one has a moment to sit and think. Sometimes I just hold a scrap of balsa while I consider its future in the grand scheme. Truth is....I just can't bring myself to just !ob it out. Ever.

It goes into the box called 'that'll come in handy'.

Gazza

Oh yes...just a thought.... Don't you go throwing all that nice balsa sanding dust away. Keep it in a jar....comes in dead handy when mixed with glue or dope to make filler...!

Edited By Gazza58 on 03/01/2016 12:33:14

Throw away leftover balsa?

Go and wash your mouth out with PVA immediately!

I've got balsa in stock that I bought in the early nineties, it'll come in handy for a project somewhen soon, honest. It is course perfectly seasoned. I actually did use some back in the summer when I built a Depstik from the RCM&E plan.

Shaunie.

I thought everyone had a box of wood pieces too small to be of any further use I have drawer full of junk, too. Anything goes in there - bits of plastic, metal of all types, old undercarriages, copper pipe etc but not wood, that goes in the aforementioned box. If I want/need to make something I sort through my junk drawer until I feel inspired by an odd shaped piece of something.

Wouldn't want to be without either.

I also have pieces of electronics I can't bear to part with. Amplifiers I built years ago and never actually use as well as the remains of PCs. When will I ever use a modem ever again. There's a 'Quad' amplifier I built when I was about 15 using the wound components from a damaged one - that's 60 years old now! There's a genuine Quad II amplifier and pre-amp in a cabinet in my workshop that keeps getting in the way. I should put it on ebay, I guess.

Geoff

Posted by AndyD on 03/01/2016 15:44:28:

hHi Gazza,someone else told me to try the sanding dust an glue years ago. i never did so i think i might just try it now on my ballerina cowl.

That's a good substitute for plastic wood but mix dope and talcum powder for sanding sealer. If you use the scenty stuff SWMBO doesn't complain as much

I have more offcuts than full sheet, I keep everything just incase, but sometimes you just gotta say "I need to make a pathway through to the living room" crook

This is just one box, 12x24x8" full of ply circles, there is nearly 1500 of em

10527842_10153333483646274_6540655606641267530_n.jpg

Edited By Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 03/01/2016 17:44:35

Posted by Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 03/01/2016 17:44:13:

I have more offcuts than full sheet, I keep everything just incase, but sometimes you just gotta say "I need to make a pathway through to the living room" crook

This is just one box, 12x24x8" full of ply circles, there is nearly 1500 of em

10527842_10153333483646274_6540655606641267530_n.jpg

Edited By Dylan Reynolds LaserCraft Services on 03/01/2016 17:44:35

Yes. ME!!!!

I cut oit about 190 discs from 1/32" ply. Those are too thick

Edited By Peter Miller on 03/01/2016 18:41:20

Posted by Daithi O Buitigh on 03/01/2016 12:59:05:

I must hold the record here - when I came back to the hobby, I found that there were 20 year old planks of Solarbo at my parents' house, plus off-cuts

I can beat that, I recently dug out a box from my first bash at aeromodelling, there were planks of Solarbo balsa from the early eighties in it!

I have one of those long "Really Useful Boxes" into which I throw any bits of wood that "just might come in!"

It is the first box that falls on the floor when I try to move something bulky, and so I have no idea how many times I have had to pick most of the bits up again. Yes I know that these boxes have clip-on lids to annoy you when you are trying to gain access, but they automatically unclip whenever the chance to be annoying.

Plummet