2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

Like Colin said, nobody is offended, but the OP didn't ask for a vote and there isn't a vote in any case, it's meant to be a putting forward of ideas, and if that involves descripion and discussion of the reasoning for those ideas that's a good thing, not something to be excised and deleted.

Edited By leccyflyer on 24/01/2016 21:10:12

Cheers Colin,

Love your Supermarine Spiteful and Seafang btw. Wow what a mixed bag it really is these Autumn Special choices are turning out to be! The Martin Baker MB 5,Miles M39,Handley Page HP75 Manx,Bede BD 10,Vans RV3,Rutan long/Acro and Vari-Eze, AMS OIL Rutan Racer are all unusual great looking aircraft would make nice if a little complex model subjects. I wonder if TN has any of these or others like this on his one day to do list I think a bipe,WW2,Cub type may have it in the bag though this time,almost like a commons debate difficult to see which side/persuasion is going to win! 

Kindest Regards

Steve smiley

Edited By Steve Adams on 24/01/2016 21:55:55

Hi Guys,

I'm surprised that if there were to be a scale simpler aircraft chosen like TN could be leaning towards (aimed more at the beginner to scale) That a Monocoupe 90A,Auster AOP9,Fairchild Argus,Bellanca Skyrocket,Luscombe Phantom and any others you guys can add and think of haven't been mentioned .Pretty planes and simply built by comparison to Tonys others. Problem is I spose mag sales again possibly?

Cheers

Stevelaugh

Edited By Steve Adams on 25/01/2016 21:33:42

Edited By Steve Adams on 25/01/2016 21:51:59

I am pretty sure that Tony is telling us all that the model he selects will be mainstream, rather than an obscure type.

I am not clear at all how we can help him as a group. It is apparent that in reality there is not any set of models that leaps out as one that a large section of us want to build. That is other than the obvious Spitfire and Hurricane. All the others have generally just a handful of supporters.

I just wonder would a Fireball XL5 be the way to go? As the only (almost) contemporary  aircraft that has not been dome to death is possibly the DH Chipmunk.

TNs decision will be interesting, to say the least.

Edited By Erfolg on 25/01/2016 22:58:24

Edited By Erfolg on 25/01/2016 23:00:06

Thanks Steve for doing the count up......It seems the biplanes are the favorite for this year so far...

Having read through the recent comments, the subject matter is in your court guys. For the 'Special', I want it to be the builders choice, but I'm happy to give guidance....

The pleasure (or challenge) comes from designing the model and not necessarily the subject itself so I'm really not fussed as to what tops of the list.... (although i said we'll park EDFs & Twins for this year).

My personal to do list is long, but fortunately they can wait for your choice to be done.

Just for a diversion, here are the next 3 plan after special

• 78" Vulcan
  • 52" EDF 90mm Hawk
  • Concord

As for my top 3!!! (that I haven't done)

• Harrier Jump jet.......THAT WORKS..... VTOL
  • Jet Provest
  • Hawker hunter
  • Re-do my old 62" Beaufighter
  • Victor
  • Valiant
  • Gnat
  • Whirlwind
  • DH Rapide
  • etc......

Keep the votes coming guy

Personally I have one that I have considered having a go at myself, as it is potentially a very practical model. a every day flyer and that is the

• Jet provost

Then there is an aircraft that I would consider modelling as a special model, that I would perhaps fly the once, if i could finally get it built and would be prepared to lash out the cash for the fan units, or make do with pusher? props and that model is the

• Victor

The Westland Whirlwind has a lot of appeal, other than I am not sure i could build one that is not so tail heavy, that a visit to York Minister would be necessary, leading to doubts if the model could fly well.

As for the DH Rapide a total waste of time, wings far to pointed, then there is the issue of rigging, if a thin aerofoil section were to be used. Beautiful to look at.

Yep, i can really see a Jet Provost and the pleasure both to build and to fly, by me, an ordinary builder and equally ordinary flyer. Plus my wife will not be berating me about the depleted bank balance.

Please avoid any current ARTF's, it would be a pity to craft a beautiful model and have a clubmate tell me he saw it for £50 on a Website surprise

Gloster Gladiator - if you do an IC version, I will do the electric one

Concorde - but maybe Cyril Carr will oblige, his normal choice of materials would let me afford to power it!

Lockheed Constellation - for the sheer beauty of seeing it in flight

Or maybe we should do a mass build of Stearman PT17’s and persuade the British lady who just flew one to Australia to come to the event along with a lot of media coverage?

smiley

Hi Guys,

If a biplane wins,then what will be will be. I have no doubt being crafted by TNs own hand it will be a corker,and could even win me over! I'm revising my 3 a little as I think the introduction to scale can't be ignored either.

1) Piper Cub(including L4) 70 + span good looking and more forgiving(ie no tip stalling like Flair Cub! )

2)Monocoupe 90A 70+ span

3)Luscombe Phantom 70 + span

Either electric or ic 2/3 piece wings and if possible removable undercarriage as accidents will still happen! I know these aircraft can still be aerobatic, but they can also be tamed down as well. They are good looking,should appeal to RCM+Es World markets in terms of sales,and can be considered as scale aileron high wing trainer's so could make good 2nd/3rd models. Please consider this as me not butting in,just throwing the beginner into scale into the mix as another angle,either way bipe or high wing cabin win,this Autumn Special will be the most different /Diverse yet! Based on that it'll be worth having a copy or two in ones collection!

Kindest Regards

Steve laugh

I am "over the moon" with supprise and joy that the Whirlwind has made the short list, another time hey Tony???????/ or this year?????, it's been over 5 yrs since that you suggested, that it was one you wanted to build love

Erflog, as for the long moment on the W/wind, , carefully chosen wood and the use of other light materials, the issue is greatly reduced, bearing in mind that you got either 2 x I.C engines up ft or a lipo battery stuck in the fuz, will compensate for that issue a well.thinking

Cheers all

Barry nee... depot of Whirly nuts

Edited By A.A. Barry on 26/01/2016 23:38:53

Edited By A.A. Barry on 26/01/2016 23:41:56

Hi Guys,

Are there any more suggestions for the autumn 2016 special? ....Ok some more to throw into the equation!

DHC -3 Otter(with and without floats) ,Bellanca CH 200 ,Bellanca Skyrocket 2,American Champion Decathlon, Epic LT experimental aircraft ,Ultimate 10-300 ,Cranfield A1,Cessna 02A(yes I know twins are out this year and this is a push/pull twin!) but it could have one motor and a free wheeling dummy on front or back! Come on chaps what other planes can you suggest? I can't wait to see what final plane settled on will be Btw!

Kind Regards

Steve wink

From that list of "top 3 not done yet" there are 3, possibly 4, that I'd absolutely jump at - great subjects! But as it's no EDFs or twins this time round I'll happily wait for some of those to appear at a later date

That therefore leaves me with my original choice - Piston Provost

Hi Guys,

Got to admit that Percival Piston Provost is starting to get a few mentions which is great.....gives the bipe boys a run for their money! It's a cool plane and would be a good subject to model.I don't think there's to many plans for ole Percival around are there? I quite like it,definitely one that grows on you!

Kind Regards

Steve laugh