2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

Guys,

We haven't conducted a modellers choice for the RCM&E Autumn Special 'Free Plan' for some years now so it would be good to know what's at the top of your 'to build' list so at least we can make some of you guys happy with this years plan subject....

As before, let me know your top three choices and your perferred power source.

Happy Voting!

Hi Tony,

My three choices would be

1) Concorde (EDF or Pusher prop)

2) Vickers Valiant (EDF or Pusher prop)

3) Hawker Siddley Harrier EDF....All mks shown if possible

The top two speak for my whole family as choices as for the recent passing of my mum as my grandad worked at Weybridge Vickers / BAC Surrey. The third choice is a personal favourite of mine...Who doesn't love the Harrier?! With the recent success of your Avro Vulcan and BAE Hawk I have no doubt that your probably the only Designer who could pull any of these off if they are lucky to be chosen!

Many thanks for all of your designs over the years Tony and long may they continue, Good luck to all and happy voting

Cheers Steve

My two penn'orth:

1. Hawker Hunter, either a late single seater (bigger avon + wing dog-tooth) or a two-seater. EDF/slope.

2. Late model Messerschmitt 109 (G or K) - I've always preferred these to the earlier versions. Either electric or IC.

3. I like the idea of a Gloster Gladiator. IC for preference, but electric is fine.

If I'm allowed, I'll do three suggestions for warbirds and three non-military ones wink

As for warbirds:

- Messerschmitt BF110 72"

- Arado AR96 64"

- Junkers JU87 Stuka 65"

For non military ones

- GeeBee R3 60"

- Cessna 188 62"

- Lockheed 18 72"

As for powerplant, I'd rather glow but it would be appreciated if it can be built either way

What a lot of beginners want is a trainer that doesnt look like one. Doesnt need to be an accurate scale model but it needs to look like a real aeroplane. Something that can withstand massive simplification, with rudder-elevator, Clark-Y and dihedral without losing the appeal of the original. Easy slab-sided construction and straightforward to fit out. Electric. Needs to avoid the current 'club trainer' look altogether. Several cabin high-wing subjects spring to mind, say a US Army Bird-Dog plus WW1 Eindekkers, D8's and such but theres no reason with electrics not to go that bit further - even a simplified Lanc with two inner motors & dummy outers could be made to be slow, stable & predictable. This isnt an unrealistic proposal for an RC trainer - all these subjects and many more are flown by the free-flight boys.

The problem seems to be that instructors choose which models are used for training, hence the boring 'typical trainer' look and the enforced full-house layout. Give a beginner a stable RET model that looks like a bit like a Spitfire and that he can fly on his own, and he'll be happy.

Cheers
Phil

(ok the Spitfire was tongue-in-cheek...)

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 11/01/2016 19:00:57

I'm with Bob, a biplane. What's more it would be the Fiat CR42, a far more successful plane than it's given credit for. It looks great, good proportions and areas for a model and a wide range of schemes to finish it in because it was operated by at least 7 different nations. No rigging wires and with the Warren truss bracing it should be possible to make the wings easy to remove and fit, perhaps even making the two bays pre-assembled so they could be plugged on and off. 1/6 scale would make an impressive 63" span, about 54" long or 1/8 would make a very handy 48" span, 40/41" long, probably a size that could be left in one piece for many flyers.

There, I've convinced myself. If Tony doesn't do it, I will some day anyway I hope. (After the Wellesley, which will be after the 317, which is next after the Chipmunk. What is better than dreaming about the planes you want to see in the sky)?