2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

If it were to be a warbird chosen,

The choice would have to be

1) Douglas Skyraider ( would be great with 4 blade prop and rockets etc....so menacing!)

2)Hawker Sea Fury...a marvelous navy plane

3) Fairy Swordfish....again great plane if badly outdated in WW2

If we lucky enough maybe TN could do two a year like last year and have a warbird for one issue then jet for another issue that way each year there are two great plans from which keeps two sides reasonably happy!

Stevelaugh

My 3 suggestions

1) Douglas SBD Dauntless. Around 70" for glow engines.Has radial engine, generous wing area, flaps and dive brakes (so different), short retract legs with wide track and lots of colour schemes. What's not to like?

2)Fairy Flycatcher Inter war biplane. Beautifully ugly. Around 60" glow or electric

3) Cessna T-50 Bobcat twin. 6ft span Fabric covering and 2 radial engines. For electric

Well that's a great start guys.....seems like the biplane is a popular subject although i do like the idea of a simple high wing scale trainer to get the new-comers in this great hobby of ours... and what could be better to build and then learn to fly on your very own creation....i still remember that great sense of achievement!!...happy days

Keep them coming guys

Posted by Tony Nijhuis on 11/01/2016 22:23:46:

Well that's a great start guys.....seems like the biplane is a popular subject although i do like the idea of a simple high wing scale trainer to get the new-comers in this great hobby of ours... and what could be better to build and then learn to fly on your very own creation....i still remember that great sense of achievement!!...happy days

Keep them coming guys

Hi Tony, How about a Yak-12 then? Not an overly modelled type, good proportions for a trainer, military and civil colour schemes, wheels, floats and skis, what more could you ask for?

Oh, and if you go for the Yak-12b, you can even have it as a biplane!

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 12/01/2016 01:35:06

Edited By Robin Colbourne on 12/01/2016 01:46:10

My thoughts.

Tony has been the warbird type designer for a little while and no bf-109 is in the stable. I like the rough cold mechanical look of the E-Emil version.

as Bob Cotsfort put forward, Japanese models are not given a look in either. a nice 60 size version of a single engine warbird, or maybe a twin engine bomber from Japan would add a nice change to the allied arsenal that is the ARF bread and butter sales today. all too common is getting boring. Spice it up.

Posted by Colin Leighfield on 12/01/2016 10:30:53:

Hi Bob. I thought the CR42 was Italian? There is a great feature on it in the latest Aeroplane magazine, with detailed drawings and the front cover artwork shows it in action, really good. Always been one of my favourites.

true Colin, but a few posts were suggesting monoplane warbirds and afaik Tony hasn't covered those I mentioned.

Did someone bring up the idea of fixed gear? Aichi Val for a monoplane option then - lots of character tooyes

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 12/01/2016 11:16:28

A military suggestion, but not a warbird

Percival Provost, i.c. with electric option

Characterful subject, great displays by the Old Warden example would surely inspire anyone who has seen those, fixed u/c keeps cost down and simplifies build and it's criminally under-modelled. Jerry Bates does a big one and the Roy Yates RM38 from the 70s is probably a tad small these days at 60" and a little over complex. A c72" model treated to the T.N. design philosophy should be a relatively simple build with a very imposing end result

Edited By IanN on 12/01/2016 11:50:17