2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

Many of the suggested ones are already available from many sources so for me, I would like scale models that are not so easily sourced already but have real character

Number one

Supermarine Sea Otter (but with U/c so it can be4 flown off land) size approx. 5-6ft wingspan, IC power or elec

Number two

Edgeley Optica as long as the cockpit and annular ring can be offered as part of a parts kit (size/power as above)

Number three

Grumman Martlett (English Wildcat) or Bell Airacobra, don't mind which (size/power as above)

Sorry it is 4 aircraft but whilst loads of Hellcat models/plans seem to exist, there seems few of the last two modelled and even fewer, if any of the first two in the sizes suggested that are big enough to have presence and small enough to fit most transport.

Love your Hurricane (I have two of them) and your recent Mossie! Looking forward to flying my Mossie in 2016

Mike

Advert

Martin, certainly anyone can have a go at a free plan, maybe it's just me that thinks that just because they're 'free' doesn't mean every one has to be beginner friendly? Sounds a bit close to dumbing down the hobby in my opinion.

I remember some excellent plans from past years that were very much beginner un-friendly - Clive Smalley's Sukhoi 26 and a CR32, can't remember who it was by, are just two examples.

Anyway, it's Tony's choice whether we get a simple novice friendly design or a treat for the more experienced, all we are asked to do is suggest what we would build if it were chosen.

Bob

In many respects I have no issue with Biplanes, particularly as i fly a PZ Albatross and a HK Arcus.

However if TN were to select one as a subject, I would urge that biplanes such as the Tiger Moth be avoided, with there rigging wires etc that take an age to rig. Particularly as with them omitted the model looks wrong, or worse still is structurally unsound. Much better a model such as CR32, Pitts, Night Twister, Hot Canary, and if any of these aircraft have rigging wires, they are not suitable. Hmmm, perhaps a Sorceress, now that should have appeal

Well, there doesn't seem to be any outright leader yet and the diversity of your suggestions is overwhelmingsurprisewink

The obscure design although are interesting do have limited appeal so I don't think i will be considered these (unless of course they are on my personal favourite list,,,,,,designers prerogativecheeky)

Nevertheless, I have read all your comments with interest and there is food for thought. I think I'm tending towards keeping this model as simple as practical so I'm going to rule out EDFs and twins (to keep the cost down) for this years special model. So monoplanes and biplanes are still in the running.

Keep em coming

Hi Guys,

I have had a rough count up of the votes so far. I would like to say that it is very difficult to get an accurate count up due to all the chat in between...Yes I'm just as guilty! Im wondering if the mods can shift all the chat over to a separate chat thread at all please for more accurate and easier vote counting if possible? Anyway here's my observations so far,if I'm miles out blame the chat and let me know.

1)Hawker Hind/Hart/Fury/Nimrod.....9

2)Mitsubishi Zero.....6

3)Gloster Gladiator.....6

4)Percival Provost.....5

5)JU152.....4

6)Fiat CR42.....4

7)BF/ME 109.....4

8)Miles Magister.....3

9)Yak 50.....3

10)P38 Lightning.....3

11)Sia Marchetti SF260.....3

12) Concorde / HS Gnat among others are tied on 2...Oh well you can't win em all! I have noticed that some of your guys have only put 1 or 2 votes in,could we make it the 3 as Tony suggests please,to make voting more accurate

Edited By Steve Adams on 24/01/2016 00:32:24

What a lot of people don't seem to realise is that they are all asking Tony to re-invent the wheel.

Looking at the summation there Steve, the following are already available as plans at outerzone

Hart/Hind/Demon

Zero

Gladiator

Bf109E

Magister

P38

Even Barry's beloved 'Whirlwind' is there wink

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 24/01/2016 07:39:33

1) If it is a biplane then the Hawker Fury would get my vote too. No functional rigging please, shearing elastic or, non at all is OK by me. A practical stand-off-scale model that is small enough to get in the boot of the car in one piece.

2) For a warbird I fancy a Wildcat or Martlet. The Hellcat is often modelled as the retractable landing gear is a headache on the Wildcat, narrow tracked too. I still prefer the look of the Wildcat!

3) For a trainer I think a Pilatus PC6 Turbo Porter could be very popular. Squarish Fuz, straight wings, nice and simple. But it has to have flaps, unlike some of the ARF renditions available. Electric would be my preference. Some interesting colour schemes available too.

I know you said three choices but here is my fourth!

4) Concorde no less. Single electric pusher prop. Very commercial (the model not the full sized) but a challenging model to design and build,- but you enjoy that Tony don't you? Personally I would be happy with a Concorde without the weight/complication (and Cost) of the landing gear but a lot of people would not.

For my first and second choice I think both electric and IC options should be offered on the plan.

Daithi,

I'm in total agreement with you people are trying to get Tony to re invent the wheel and an ugly one at that. Maybe it's just me being biased, or should that be bi-biased perhaps? If we do get Tony to re invent the wheel as it were,from what I gather he is looking at cheap ,easy build models. So based on that ethic, both begginer and experts should be happy. As my 3 never faired well at all I'm leaning Tonys way for my real final no going back scrub the other3 for these!

1)Piper Cub( showing all variant. Inc L4) about same size as Flair Cub was 70 or so span,with no nasty tip stalling habits the Flair Cub had!

2)Cessna 120 very nice classic again 70 or so span

3)Wilga PZL(they make great glider tugs and different to boot)

So there you have it guys I've been won over by the keep it simple ethic all I would say is just keep it simple guys ie no retracts,and high/low wing would be the order of the day,remember after all its still down to tonys discretion to.

Steve

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 21/01/2016 14:36:16:

Having read all of these posts so far I am amazed at some of the suggestions. Surely a mass build is for a project which many would like, and be capable of, actually building.

The Hawes Tucano was a prime example of a simple to build model which flies well but gave inexperienced builders a lot of headaches for some reason.

A lot of people could be looking for something as a first build after graduating from an ARTF trainer so in my opinion rounded fuselage EDFs, Harrier, Concorde etc would be out of the question and failure would put them off for life.

Complex biplanes are in a world of their own and quite difficult even from a kit. A plan plus cnc parts is far removed from a kit model.

Have a look at my Mossie thread. This should be a great, well designed model at the end of the day but only a lot of experience is getting me over the pitfalls encountered, bit by bit.

It's not meant to be suggestions for a mass build, or a first build though-it's looking for suggestions for a flagship model for the magazine's now traditional Autumn special, for which there will be accessories available.

There are already hundreds of free plans suitable for a first build, with at least one more added every year in the magazine.

Posted by Steve Adams on 24/01/2016 00:30:38:

Im wondering if the mods can shift all the chat over to a separate chat thread at all please for more accurate and easier vote counting if possible?

Happy to do this if you like but I think if I remove all the posts with "chat" in them it will read rather oddly....but as I say happy to do so if you want me to....

It might be a bit late in the day but maybe start another thread from scratch for chat & I can just delete everything in here that isn't a vote?

Let me know what you would like to do....as it's Tony Nijhuis' thread maybe he should decide...teeth 2

For me, there is no problem in leaving the thread as it is - it's a discussion on potential models and not a major problem to count up the "votes" for different aeroplanes. attempting to remove the discussion - or "chat" - is an unnecessary complication. Just let people discuss and develop their reasoning for making the requested suggestions, rather than a sterile list of aeroplane names.

Also, the prior existence of plans for any particular aeroplane is not a determinant of whether it should be offered up for consideration. Every single one of the past Autumn Special subjects had been modelled previously, some, like the Hurrican, Typhoon, FW190 , Spitfire, Mustang and Mosquito, have had plans published many, many times.

Hi Steve H(Mod),

Yes I think I'll start a separate chat thread for general chat about the 2016 special, and with Tonys permission you/we could clean up this thread to be a votes only thread. Ian N yes I think the TN shortlist of what he would like to do as a subject would be the way to go.

Cheers

Steve wink

Posted by Steve Adams on 24/01/2016 18:35:10:

Hi Steve H(Mod),

Yes I think I'll start a separate chat thread for general chat about the 2016 special, and with Tonys permission you/we could clean up this thread to be a votes only thread. Ian N yes I think the TN shortlist of what he would like to do as a subject would be the way to go.

Cheers

Steve wink

By " clean up the thread" do you mean to delete the posts that folks have spent the time and trouble to generate in order to discuss the topic of the thread? That's rather disrespectful and counter productive, IMO.

I think that this has been a really interesting thread so far, it's great to hear everyone's opinions and preferences. I'm sure that Tony will tell us when he's ready to move to the next stage. I'm not particularly expecting a vote, unless it's on Tony's short list. He knows what he's doing and we need to bear in mind that the magazine's interests go beyond just us, are our opinions a reliable sample of what the wider readership might think? I don't have a clue what the answer is to that one, but I'm looking forward to finding out what the conclusions are.

Leccyflyer,

That is not what I meant,why is it in this day and age so many people seem to take things out of context,or jump to conclusions?....Maybe something in the water perhaps! In simple man's terms ie mine! It is better for a chat thread to just be a chat thread and a vote thread to just be a vote thread...simple no arguments easier to understand for everyone, and for totting up etc! I mean no offence to anyone in this or any other thread, as nearly everyone all have great and greater experience than me on most subjects. I have much I could learn from many people like you leccy,and don't want to fall out with anyone,my philosophy in life is a stranger is only a friend I haven't met yet!

I'm really sorry if I did cause offence to anyone, as this was not my intention...quite the opposite I was hoping to gain friends /allies by helping simplify things that's all,I'll never dispute others efforts and hard work I'm regularly inspired by many modellers hard work including the great man TN himself!

Please forgive my unintentional offence everyone if you can, can we put it down to a clash of mutual passion?

Many Thanks and Kind Regards to all

Steveembarrassed