2016 RCM&E Autumn Special- Free Plan Modellers Choice

Advert

So how about a beautiful, 60 inch wingspan, racing seaplane?

You can see one original plan here:

**LINK**

It is definitely for balsa bashers & shows fuselage construction as 3mm sheet balsa on 3mm ply formers, I would let RCM&E sell me those formers together with the wing ribs & main spar laser cut.

The wing is parallel chord with symmetrical ribs dropped onto a slotted main spar so we are well away from tip stalling issues and the aerobatic performance may startle you, watch the video to check that out.

If I am providing some translation, you might be guessing that we are talking about a foreign design.

If I am talking about beauty, you can probably guess which nation (apart from the UK) made beautiful racing seaplanes?

So why not? Surely Tony could breathe some British genius into his own version; a 40-48inch span would suit well from the power train budget but still be big enough to have real presence in the air.

Or got to YouTube & search for watch?v=rvacC694QZo to see a great pilot flying his version of this aircraft.

At minute 3:30 on that video, you can see how the model would work at your local grass patch…

Hope you enjoy it
Mark

It would be interesting to see 3 view drawings of the Piston Provost and Jet Provost T1 laid over each other to see exactly how different they both are. Wonder when the decision will be made on which subject is chosen? If a bipe is chosen, I don't think TN has much to fear as he did a dogfight double SE5A and Fokker DV something or other years ago and although all balsa sheet I believe they performed well! May I say to Tony good luck with chosen plane,I'm sure it'll be one of your best yet!

Cheers

Steve laugh

Edited By Steve Adams on 12/02/2016 17:54:14

Posted by Alan Gorham_ on 12/02/2016 15:16:43:

Mark

Well, a 60" very scale MC-72 would get my vote!

I built a pseudo MC-72 a few years ago and it was a good flyer:

Hello Alan,

Glad you would vote for a MC-72. Also congratulations on yours, your photo captures exactly what I have in mind, a model that looks great to start with and can be a platform for as much detail as one wants to add.

Yes, I have seen Tony’s S6B plan somewhere that shall not be named wink

My post did have an element of competitive mystery behind it...

Years ago Tony did a twin engine, airliner project for RCM&E and was happy that it was considered to fly better than a Twinstar. I think he even admitted in the article that this had been his objective.

Now my favourite flying spectacle is slow speed aerobatics by a beautiful scale model.

Since we all know that Tony can design beautiful scale models, maybe I was hoping to prod his competitive instinct into a design that would both be beautiful and at least equal Seb’s model in performance?

Mark

Well time is pressing and if i don't make a choice now, there may be a lot of disappointed modellers by september!

Having reviewed all the suggestions, and thinking about both the commercial appeal and making it affordable in terms of hardware, I have decided to plumb for the Zero, around the 60", electric power and 4-6s lipo....

Thanks for all your suggestions, all very much appreciated.....

Oh and while you have been voting, my pet project is coming along

capture.jpg

The Mitsubishi Zero is getting some more mentions now,very commercially viable I must say! A great plane, also you have the J2M(Raidon) Kawasaki KI61 ( Hien - Swallow ) Ki36 Ki100 (Tony) all good choices the same as a lot of others that have been mentioned on this thread. I think Tonys aiming for a compromise between cheap and simple builds with reasonably big commercial viability, and that's no easy task with so many good subjects out there!

Does anyone know when the choice will be announced?....The suspense is killing me!

Cheers

Steve laugh

• 3 weeks later...