David's Standard Ballerina

Having the tailplane forward of the rudder hinge line means that there is room for the elevator joiner without cutting into the rudder. Some people are using a spruce joiner (instead of piano wire) and that is possible because of the forward location.

Thanks Martyn, I see you have given yours it's maiden flight and all went well. I have watched your build with interest and also Andy D as you have both scaled up the plan which I found interesting. My maiden is not likely to be for some time unless I get another club member to take it up for me as I am currently minus an 'A' certificate and still just getting to grips with my trainer, or will be when we have some decent weather.

Prior to covering I have given the cowl and the cockpit deck a couple of coats of sanding sealer and will then paint them, although only the inside of the cowl with just a little overlap to the outer edge to provide some overlap with the covering. Finally I will fuel proof the cowl inside and out plus I think the cockpit deck may as well also have a coat.

I have been finalising the fitting of the undercarriage and have set it with just a little toe in; I have also fitted a steerable tailwheel. Just waiting for the covering to arrive now I have decided on colours and looking forward to finishing. Pictures to follow.

I'll second John on this one. yes

Really not the fact that he "feels very inadequate" - absolutely not - but this is a very different look compared to the other builds.

Very nice scheme & color combination... just waiting for a spinner and 'driver' to show up. smiley

Well done, David.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Scheme Control

Thank you, you are all very kind and making excellent jobs of all your builds. I may not comment a great deal but I am watching all the builds with great interest and learning from everyone. The whole mass build excercise is excellent, I truly hope it encourages more people to have a go at building from plans; the essence of this great hobby.

I am hoping someone can advise me please; the C of G is about 3/4" behind the specified position so I am unfortunately going to have to add some weight at the front.

I am considering using the cavity in the spinner for some or all of the weight required but am concerned about any possible negative implications of this on the engine. Can anyone advise?

The big risk is that it will put the spinner off balance and cause vibration and wear on the bearings. A thick metal washer either behind the spinner like a thick backplate or inside it under the prop nut is one option if you have the facilities to make such an item, otherwise glue lead in the bottom of the cowl, as far forward as possible.

Is it too late to move the servos further forward, or to get the battery under the tank?

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 17/03/2016 12:47:49