What sport model build?

Well work has got in the way and I have had an enforced break from anything RC for over 6 months. But things are calming down and I hope I can get back into doing some modelling.

I want to build a large sport plane for my Saito FG-21

I have made a short list of 3 designs but I am having trouble picking one out. There each have their pros and cons

the 3 in no particular order are

Super Sportster 120

Cloud Dancer 120

and a Megawatt

Help me make my mind up

Edited By Phil 9 on 31/01/2016 15:50:52

Advert

I have built and flown the KillerWatt extensively - this one is effectively the same as the kit built model of a similar name. Plans are free, build is standard stuff, performance is perfect. Scaling up to the MegaWatt is something I plan to do but the KW flies perfectly on an OS 46!

Or how about a bigger Ballerina or a Ruhig Tigre - very similar to the Sportster

Posted by Masher on 31/01/2016 16:33:31:

I have built and flown the KillerWatt extensively - this one is effectively the same as the kit built model of a similar name. Plans are free, build is standard stuff, performance is perfect. Scaling up to the MegaWatt is something I plan to do but the KW flies perfectly on an OS 46!

Or how about a bigger Ballerina or a Ruhig Tigre - very similar to the Sportster

the Magawatt will be the more difficult build out of the three (but is still not complicated). the mega watt plan is a killer watt scaled up and the designer did not build one. So that needs to be taken into account when reading the plan. Also there is not a readily available canopy or cowl for the plan as there is for the other two. It is obviously based on an acro wot but the is not a 120 size acor wot (an extra wot might fly on a 120 but really needs something bigger)

Posted by Phil 9 on 31/01/2016 16:57:22:
Posted by Masher on 31/01/2016 16:33:31:

the Magawatt will be the more difficult build out of the three (but is still not complicated). the mega watt plan is a killer watt scaled up and the designer did not build one. So that needs to be taken into account when reading the plan. Also there is not a readily available canopy or cowl for the plan as there is for the other two. It is obviously based on an acro wot but the is not a 120 size acor wot (an extra wot might fly on a 120 but really needs something bigger)

Yes but the canopy is 'easy' nothing too difficult and suited to the pop bottle route. Having just done a built up cowl for my Ruhig Tigre, I will never worry about commercial cowls anymore.

You can obviously scale the Killer or Mega plan to exactly what you need for the power

thanks for the comments so far.

I think I need to limit my choice to one of the models in the OP. Suggestions for other models is just going to make things even harder for melaugh

I think it is hard to choose between them as they are very similar models and all are reported to be great flyers. I like them all for different reasons,

I just looked up an aerowatt and that just looks to me like a mash up of all of my original short list

The Aerowatt is unique - the only one in existence and sill going strong fifteen years on, having transitioned from 20xRC2400s and a Mega R7 motor, to 6s1p 4200mah Lipos and now 5s1P 5000mah lipos and a Twister 60. Best model that I've ever flown, bar none. There is a family resemblance to the Cloud Dancer, which is another lovely model.

Here's the Aerowatt in action

aerowatt exits knife.jpg

Edited By leccyflyer on 31/01/2016 18:12:23

There are 2 SLEC sport model kits. Both designed/modified by a former club mate of mine, Robin Woodhead, who is a superb builder of own design scale models so these should be both excellent fliers and good kits. Both are 80" wingspan and designed for 20cc petrol engines eg the Zenoah, which I think was used to test both kits. I guess they'd be fine with a 120 glow.

There's the Astrohog and the Mustfire.

Geoff

Chaps, the OP asked for help deciding from his shortlist rather than asking for suggestions on what model to build next.

Whilst there undoubtedly many other models out there to help deplete Phils' bank balance even further can we concentrate on convincing him that the Super Sportster is the one to go for.....teeth 2

For anyone who doesn't know - the plans and articles for these are availble to download from Outerzone

Cloudancer 60 inch , 73. inch & 86 inch span

Super Sportster 56 inch and 72 inch span and a twin.

also from Colin Usher's site

Megawatt ( and Killerwatt )

some details of the Aerowatt are here but no mention of whether a plan was ever availble.   If not, why not!   

Edited By kc on 01/02/2016 17:15:06

well I guess it is now between the sportster and the dancer

Now there is one thing both of these have in common that I am considering changing. Both have a wing mounted bent wire U/C. Should I stick to the original design or change to a Dural type U/C?