Dash cams

ChrisB

I'm thinking of getting a front and rear dash cam and wondered if anyone has any experience of them? I say rear, as most of the incident i've seen or been involved in have been when people bump the rear at lights, junctions etc and not from the front.

Ideally i'd like something that is truly wireless as opposed to wifi capable.

It doesn't fuss me if I have to switch it on each time I use the car and the cam is powered by batteries rather than have 12v sockets and wire everywhere or have to mess with headlinings.

Anyway, all thoughts welcomed.

Cheers

CB

Advert

• 3 years later...

Chris, just on power

You can power very simply, hidden away, in your cars fuse box

The unit plugs in via a dual fuse connector

You pull the required fuse, put that fuse into your dual adaptor, then push the whole lot into that position

And choose to have the unit come on with the ignition switch

Or wire it On

Where your dash cam remains off, and turns on, if someone moves close to your vehicle

Or the vehicle moves off

Edited By Denis Watkins on 17/01/2020 20:21:35

I use a NextBase 512GW. Very Good picture quality and features. This has a Sony sensor and glass lens with polarising filter to reduce reflections from the windscreen - which really make a big difference. Good price on Amazon at the moment. It has GPS which allows you to playback recordings onto a google maps / screen image using PC software. Newer models may be better but this is good for this money.

Only problem we've had is that the internal battery is failing after 3 years so it doesn't record for the time it should after the ignition is switched off. Just ordered a new battery (4 batteries for £4.50 actually), so it will be back to normal soon.

I have no experience with rear view cams, but have use a normal. cheap standard dash one and have installed a few for the family.

They can save you money. In an accident where you are not to blame, their use is obvious. Where it's a bump that might show you were at or partly at fault, there may be no need to use it. It has saved me having a minor bump written off as "knock-for-knock" (jointly to blame, because it's one's word against the other..very common), even so it saved several hundred pounds.

I only fit mine behind the shaded area of the windscreen, behind the mirror, so that it peeps out underneath. It's quite discrete. If you leave it on show, stuck in the middle of the screen it will eventually be stolen and cost you the repairs for the break-in.

...... in many cars, there is a 12v feed to the mirror area, usually to power a light or something that is turned on with the ignition. There's also usually plenty of space behind the light cluster, so I have fitted a BEC to those connections and poked the end out to the mirror area. It works very well and is as neat as you could wish for.

I've had a MiVue 5 for about 4 years and it's been excellent. Mine has GPS which is a very useful feature. Using MiVue Manage on a computer, it gives you the exact location of the car on the screen map map in the bottom left hand of the video, as well as your speed. If you are unfortunately involved in an accident, it's all too easy for someone to claim you were speeding even if you weren't.

Posted by David Hall 9 on 18/01/2020 10:30:49:

...... in many cars, there is a 12v feed to the mirror area, usually to power a light or something that is turned on with the ignition. There's also usually plenty of space behind the light cluster, so I have fitted a BEC to those connections and poked the end out to the mirror area. It works very well and is as neat as you could wish for.

Good idea. I bought a dedicated hardwiring kit for about £20, which converts the cars 12v supply to 5v as required by the camera. A BEC should work just as well - and most of us will have at least one to hand.