Spektrum Rx price hike???

mightypeesh

Advert

Yes it would be interesting to know the difference It is possible that different major brands (legit ones) are made in the same factory in China. If so who is making the fakes ? Are they made by the same people? Are they just as good as the real ones? Anybody got any experience of the fake ones being no good

I was amazed to read somewhere that There were fake Tower pro servos on the market. Why is it worth making a fake servo that retails full price for less than £3 for the genuine article

I'm not up to date on current Spekky fakes (although ISTR the AR6210 has apparently been counterfeited) but if you do a forum search on 'fake' you'll find a number of threads going back a few years relating to the problem. I think the principle point to ask yourself is why someone is offering new Rx's for a tenner when the usual market price is nearer £30?

Pete

Sorry Guys,

I just spent 30mins looking through my stuff and I couldn't find the fake Spektrum RX (probably a good thing!) Before anyone says.............. I know its not in one of my models either cheeky

Sorry again, but I cannot produce the goods for all to see.

If you type 'fake Spektrum rx's' into your internet search, you will find pic's showing the differences between fake and genuine. This is how I found out mine was a fake frown

For the record, I have two 'Orange' RX's and I have never had any problems. The only difference I have found is the 'finesse' of flying the models. The Orange RX's seem to make my stick input seem more 'clunky' if that makes sense, otherwise, no problems.

Rosco

Edited By Rosco on 30/03/2016 11:55:20

I had a fake 6200, the "O" in "THRO" is a "0" (zero), the colour of the satellite leads are paler than the originals, and IIRC the fakes were different when it cam to the "Signal" "Neg" and "Pos" symbols. I believe they were totally omitted. On RCGroups someone took one apart and really studied a fake against an original, and again IIRC there were something like 20+ differences, but more were obviously on the inside. Don't hold me to that, it is just a memory (which is currently badly affected by meds) so you cannot hold me to that, and any rebukes will be ignored, lol

There have been various references across the web about differences. Is it possible to declare one a fake just because it's different to a known genuine?

Are all genuine Spektrum receivers the same. As happens in many consumer items that different production runs may vary or they are made by a variety of contractors

I don't believe the answer is to buy brand x or brand Y I am sure similar situations exist with them as well

• 9 months later...

A range test is your 1st port of call, and 20 paces or less is a fake, normal expectation is 30 paces. The other thing J, hold your Rx up near the screen having searched the unit on the Spekrum site, and look at the printing. The fakes are fuzzy print and often miss the odd letter or symbol, and on some fakes, the embossed Spectrum is not produced.

I have returned to Spectrum after an eventful time with my Taranis. Unfortunately I have lost too many models even after having Tx checked by a Premier Dealer's technical engineer, new receivers and battery packs, which is a bit disappointing as I invested heavily in receivers and telemetry gear. Will lay aside for moment although may use it for my gliders.

I used a DX6i for some time and now obtained an early Dx7 along with Spectrum and Orange receivers which have not given me any problems. Have recently fitted a Storm S603 Rx but have yet to test along with a a very cheap "spectrum" Rx, which may well be a fake, so will wait and see.

Well, well, I would never of thought of doing a range test??????? Basic pre-flight procedure at our field. All recent losses have had new battery packs so it would be nice to think it would be so easy.

I appreciate many have no problems with Taranis but when you loose faith then you must step back. I may come back to the Taranis but will use the Spektrum for a while.

Posted by Hamish on 12/01/2017 19:54:04:

I have returned to Spectrum after an eventful time with my Taranis. Unfortunately I have lost too many models even after having Tx checked by a Premier Dealer's technical engineer, new receivers and battery packs, which is a bit disappointing as I invested heavily in receivers and telemetry gear.

Sorry to hear this as I was thinking about going from Spektrum to Taranis having lost a plane to spektrums loss of signal and slow re connection.

The thread, 'Binding and Updating' is enough to put me off Taranis. I have a friend who has one and he loves his. It is no doubt very clever, infinitely more flexible and significantly cheaper than my JR XG11. But and it is a big BUT, finding that half your receivers don't work after updating software then trying to figure out which version they are and what files to use etc. I have never had any issues with my JR radios, they just work, - a bit like a Mac. come to think of it. I will now retire to the bunker!

I don't want to start brand X is better than Y discussion as all radios seem pretty good these days. Speky have cornered about 50% of the market if we are to believe the recent poll on this forum, so they must be doing something right ( I have been tempted myself). JR had their followers but they seem to be in decline now sadly, no doubt the high cost of their products must be a factor, even if their DMSS protocol is rock solid. Perhaps if I had a Taranis I would become a fan, but then, perhaps not.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/01/2017 16:40:57

Any room in that bunker Piers, 'cos I'm with you when it comes to fiddling with the brains of my radio. My cheap and cheerful kit has been 100% reliable so far, including a £3.50 6ch rx, which now has flown for many hours and not missed a beat, and for me everything else is a bonus.

Yes all radios seem pretty reliable now, but so was my Skyleader set in 1971. The difference is, that set cost six times my monthly mortgage back thensad

Peirs in my opinion that thread didTaranis no favours in that it made what should have been a straight forward, routine, operation unnecessarlity difficult - chiefly because it turned out that the OP did not have the Tx battery charged! That isn't a Taranis shortcoming! For that one update you need to update both Tx and Rx - that is not common with Taranis - its a one off. Other updates don't require it.

Just my view

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/01/2017 18:19:39

Err, the people of the UK voted to leave the EU. The currency devalued by iro 20%. Imports will, when old stock is exhausted, be 20% more expensive to import. Retailers will try to pass that on. And will eventually succeed. That is why prices creep up in the UK at this time. Get used to it.

Updating the software is so often the cause of problems with computers that it's the last thing I want to do with RC equipment! Leave well alone is my motto - if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I stick to Spektrum and my old Futuaba FASST sets. Spektrum Rx are still cheaper than Futaba.

Posted by Denis Watkins on 12/01/2017 21:27:27:

Woe guys, I am not bashing any makes, just watch the BT advert where a guy is lifted 100s of feet into the air and " he still has his modem signal" ? These things are all around us and cause frequency hopping

Errr, no they don't! The hopping sequence is setup between the TX at the initial bind or switch on (methods vary by brand) if the protocol is based on FHSS (almost all are nowadays, but that wasn't always the case). It has absolutely nothing to do with whether the RX is experiencing interference or not.

It's high power wideband interference that is an issue for a solely FHSS system - if enough of the spectrum is being simultaneously utilised it doesn't matter where it hops too, the signal won't get through. This is the real reason why wifi signal boosters can in rare cases interfere with 2.4 systems, and why protocols that pair DSSS and FHSS (like DSMX and FASST) are in theory more resilient. In practice though FHSS on it's own works absolutely fine in 99.9999999% of cases.

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/01/2017 18:18:58:

Piers in my opinion that thread didTaranis no favours in that it made what should have been a straight forward, routine, operation unnecessarlity difficult - chiefly because it turned out that the OP did not have the Tx battery charged! That isn't a Taranis shortcoming! For that one update you need to update both Tx and Rx - that is not common with Taranis - its a one off. Other updates don't require it.

Just my view

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 13/01/2017 18:19:39

Thanks for the clarification BEB, your view is always helpful.

Sometimes the bunker gets pretty crowded Ron, especially when one starts throwing stones at Taranis, some pretty passionate guys out there!

Some might find this of interest but how accurate it is, I don't know.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/01/2017 22:46:51

Posted by kc on 13/01/2017 19:34:51:

Updating the software is so often the cause of problems with computers that it's the last thing I want to do with RC equipment! Leave well alone is my motto - if it ain't broke don't fix it. So I stick to Spektrum and my old Futuaba FASST sets. Spektrum Rx are still cheaper than Futaba.

There is a lot in what you say there KC I would agree with. If an update is just "improvement" and if it isn't safety related I'll be honest I am often reluctant to implement it - prefering the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" stance!

But in this case you were going to have to update one way or another - the new protocol wouldn't work with the "old" Rx's and vice versa - so you either:

1. Didn't buy any new Rx's - not really practical

2. Convert all new Rx's you buy to the old system by effectively updating them backwards!

3. Had both systems on your Tx - yes you can do that with Taranis as it updates fromn the SD card. So you can switch the RF protocol at the field depending on what you are flying. Now you might think that would be a safety issue - but in practice it isn't, if you have the "wrong" protocol for the model it simpy doesn't react - so you have no control movements etc. This is OK - but its a faff and you have the remember what model is on what system.

4. You can just update your current old Rx's to the new sysytem - then everything is on that. In the long run this is I think the best option - and the one I followed. In practice it took me about half a day to take the whole fleet over to the new system - it wasn't difficult and was time well spent in retrospect. I now have everything on EU-LBT

BEB

PS After I did that it became possible to buy "old system" Rx's in the UK - don't ask me about just how legal that is - I don't know. And frankly I really don't want to debate it - I include it simply as a piece of information for completness!