BMFA 'A' Certificate questions

Glyn44

Advert

Posted by Glyn44 on 18/04/2016 11:47:17:

I'm using an iPad, is that the reason.

The page uses Adobe Flash. Flash is not available on ipads, nor on recent Android devices.

The BMFA Midland questions have been online for quite some time and do not appear to have the latest (compulsory) questions included.

Cheers all,

Thanks for the info. I know that the iPad cannot run flash, but when that is the case I normally get an on screen message telling me that I need it and to download the latest version etc. There is nothing on this page but the title.

I was hoping to get to grips with the damn questions, as I understood that there is now a BMFA interactive quiz.

Well if I can't do it it I might just not bother. I can do the flying, it's the the old memory for the answers that are the problem, so I need lots of time for them to sink in !

Oh does anyone know is it ok to fly one day, and do the theory on another, or vice versa. As per driving test. I can find nothing to say I can't .

Cheers any way.

Regards Glyn.

Posted by Glyn44 on 19/04/2016 07:42:44:

Cheers all,

Thanks for the info. I know that the iPad cannot run flash, but when that is the case I normally get an on screen message telling me that I need it and to download the latest version etc. There is nothing on this page but the title.

I was hoping to get to grips with the damn questions, as I understood that there is now a BMFA interactive quiz.

Well if I can't do it it I might just not bother. I can do the flying, it's the the old memory for the answers that are the problem, so I need lots of time for them to sink in !

Oh does anyone know is it ok to fly one day, and do the theory on another, or vice versa. As per driving test. I can find nothing to say I can't .

Cheers any way.

Regards Glyn.

The interactive quiz for the Mandatory questions is here **LINK** further interacive quizzez for the supplementary A and B questions will be added in the not too distant future.

You cannot do the test over 2 days. It's the flying part followed immediately by the questions.

Standards and guidance booklet is here **LINK**

Please don't be put off by the questions - new or old.

Most examiners will be simply looking to see that you are aware of your legal responsibilities and safety awareness - many of which you will already know from what you've picked up while learning to fly - and most will be answerable from common sense anyway! They will (or should!?) not be looking to trick you or demand word perfect responses and if they are worth their salt (although they aren't paid anything!) will target you with a selection of the compulsory legal questions relevant to your chosen disciplines and interests. There are only 20 to mug up on anyway!

Good luck - and remember that as long as you're flying competently, any decent examiner will be looking for justification to pass you, rather than trying to find a silly excuse to fail you...

P.S. The most common failure is the figure of eight, so I'd advise you to practice this as much as possible, concentrating on getting the 2 circles the same size, using your throttle to regulate height and make the entry/crossing points as near to in line with you as possible.

If possible, get used to doing it in a reasonably strong wind, learning to vary the bank angle to change the rate of turn to compensate for the effects of the wind. Done properly in a stiff breeze, the figure eight is a wonderful tool to teach you to how to use all of your primary controls in conjunction with each other - e.g. changing the bank angle affects the amount of elevator required to hold the attitude, the power required to maintain altitude and ultimately the turn radius - and each affects the other in turn! It all sounds rather complicated but practice, and the corrections will become second nature.

If you're doing it at your own club or meeting an examiner elsewhere, it's simply an ad-hoc arrangement with your examiner.

Flying in unsuitable conditions might well count against you...either with a damaged model or raising questions about your judgement.

If you are able to cope with less than ideal conditions, the examiner should make an allowance for them - but you will still need to complete all the requirements safely.

If you are not a BMFA member, the arrangements have to be made through the BMFA in order for you to comply with insurance requirements so you might need to liaise with them to re-arrange a test.

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/04/2016 14:37:32

• 6 months later...

Martin, I am so much in agreement about the figure of eight. Getting it just right in a wind is a real challenge. I passed my "A" 13 years ago but still practice the eight al least once every session, at low level like you must do for the "B", and I'm still never perfect. It feels good when you're close though.

The throttle is one of the most important controls when doing the figure 8 for A or B. Getting the plane at a comfortable distance away from you needs to be practiced as well....not too far away so the plane becomes a tiny dark spot in the sky, not too close as to risk over flying the pilots box.

With the wind from the wind from the right, you enter the 8 from the left and start a gentle turn away from you. By the time the plane is in front of the box it should be flying at a 45* degree angle from the flight line. Always make the up wind circuit as big as you can comfortably see. If its too small use throttle to extend it. Using excess aileron will only make the circuit have a series of flat edges. As the plane turns around into wind judge wether more throttle is needed because the plane will begin to slow down. 

If you think the down wind circle is ending with the plane beginning to overshoot where you started ease off the throttle and reduce the speed, this will give you more time to complete the final turn - not just ending the 8 by yanking the ailerons so the plane comes around. Hope this isn't gibberish.....why not pracitce the figure 8 just using throttle, rudder and elevator, it's great fun .

Edited By cymaz on 10/11/2016 06:42:26

Edited By cymaz on 10/11/2016 06:43:17

Don't worry about the A or B, 90% of it is what most of us do each time we fly, its just that when you take the flying tests its under more scrutiny.

As for the questions,most are common sense and if you've been flying a while and interacted with clubmates, then apart from the odd technical or regulatory question which might need some research its all fairly straightforward.

Many of the novice flyers I induct into the club and attempt to teach these days wouldn't pass their A because they don't follow experienced advice and always know best. They don't get themselves into a routine when setting up and preparing a model for flight and they don't ask questions of anyone about anything, they turn up keep themselves to themselves and go home not having said a word to anyone and therefore they haven't taken on board what others do and how they do it and that is or will be their downfall!

Posted by Steve J on 10/11/2016 08:21:21:
Posted by cymaz on 10/11/2016 06:28:06:

By the time the plane is in front of the box it should be flying at a 45* degree angle from the flight line.

Wrong.

"The crossover point must always be in front of the pilot and, after a run in at standard height and line, the model MUST be turned through ninety degrees in the first turn so that it is flying exactly away from the pilot."

Steve

Correct, but as a B candidate can i ask Why (devils advocate)

Yes the book says that, but what's wrong with other one ?

Posted by john stones 1 on 10/11/2016 08:29:34:
Posted by Steve J on 10/11/2016 08:21:21:
Posted by cymaz on 10/11/2016 06:28:06:

By the time the plane is in front of the box it should be flying at a 45* degree angle from the flight line.

Wrong.

"The crossover point must always be in front of the pilot and, after a run in at standard height and line, the model MUST be turned through ninety degrees in the first turn so that it is flying exactly away from the pilot."

Steve

Correct, but as a B candidate can i ask Why (devils advocate)

Yes the book says that, but what's wrong with other one ?

It's simply not the manouver that you are being asked to fly. The manouver is 2 circles of similar size.

The model is flown on the standard line and height into wind across the landing area, a ¼ circle away from the pilot is flown so the model is directly in front of the pilot and briefly flying directly away from the pilot, a full circle in the opposite direction is flown bringing the model back to in front of and heading away from the pilot, a ¾ circle is then flown in the opposite direction to the full circle. The manoeuvre finishes, with the model flying into wind across the front of the pilot at standard line and height, not with another turn away.

Edited By Andy Symons - BMFA on 10/11/2016 08:38:46

Crossing at 45 degrees is what I believe people call a "lazy eight". Which is not what is being called for.

Remember it is all a test, not just the flying and the questions. This includes your preparation and start up of the aircraft, recovery after the flight, calls for take off, simulated dead-stick and landing etc.

Those pesky examiners have a nasty habit of suddenly poking their nose in line of the prop just as you are about to start up etc. Be vigilant, you are the pilot-in-charge, do not be frightened to remind an examiner of prop safety etc. and then wait until they are out of the way before continuing. They are not stupid, they want to see how you handle the situation, do not assume that "they are the examiner so it must be OK".

Shaunie.