Posted by Tony Bennett on 04/11/2017 16:01:50:

well there i was, sat at the bench cutting depron.cheeky

cup full of coffee to one side of me, pile of custard creams for dipping, pile of depron off cuts next to that.

so i reaches out for a biscuit, pick up biscuit and dunk it in the coffee.

i have to tell you that depron dunked in warm coffee does not taste the same as a custard cream.

then 5 mins later i only did it it again. sheesh.

Tony B

LOL! thumbs up

BEB

Advert

Posted by Peter Miller on 04/11/2017 13:27:20:

Geoff.

It must be accidental. doing it deliberately upsets the balsa god.

Martian.

Acetone or nail varnish remover is the answer to bonded fingers.

Thanks Peter that's good to know, I've lost count of models I've left my blood on I gonna painted them all red from now on

Carlo de Felice, the designer of the Maricardo used to tell the following story. Apparently the first Maricardos had semi-symetrical wings and one modeller came up to Carlo and said he'd accidentally built the wing upside down. What could he do? Carlo replied that the Maricardo had always had good inverted performance so the modeller should leave the plane the way it was and just fly it. He'd probably not notice any difference.

The modeller did fly the model - which flew perfectly normally.

Alistair

Posted by cymaz on 04/11/2017 21:25:24:
Posted by Martin Harris on 04/11/2017 21:12:17:

If it's symmetrical, is it possible to build it upside down?

Servos mounted on top of the wing maybe??

Ah - looks like the servo holes are pre-cut in the foam veneered wings...at least it will keep the servos out of the mud if the u/c fails!

Posted by Alistair Scolley on 04/11/2017 21:29:24:

Carlo de Felice, the designer of the Maricardo used to tell the following story. Apparently the first Maricardos had semi-symetrical wings and one modeller came up to Carlo and said he'd accidentally built the wing upside down. What could he do? Carlo replied that the Maricardo had always had good inverted performance so the modeller should leave the plane the way it was and just fly it. He'd probably not notice any difference.

Alistair

One of our club members had a Kyosho CAP 232 or some similar number.

IT had a vicious tendency to spin in. He rebuilt it the first time but not the second time.

The trouble was that the wing WAS upside down. Maximum camber on the underside of the wing.

Even kit manufacturers can have a DOH moment. I showed pictures of it in my "Miller's Tales" column

I was reading this thread in an idle moment on Friday, very entertaining. Then just this morning guess what.... in a hurry, I've just mixed a batch of 5 min epoxy.... two parts resin to no parts hardener, clamped everything up then came back 15 mins later only for everything to fall apart... I know what happened, measured out one lot, turned to get a paper towel by which time I'd forgotten which colour cap I'd just used... doh!

that's one problem with the clear stuff, you can't tell... at least with full strength Araldite it's obvious which is which!

Posted by Martin Harris on 05/11/2017 01:18:05:
Posted by cymaz on 04/11/2017 21:25:24:
Posted by Martin Harris on 04/11/2017 21:12:17:

If it's symmetrical, is it possible to build it upside down?

Servos mounted on top of the wing maybe??

Ah - looks like the servo holes are pre-cut in the foam veneered wings...at least it will keep the servos out of the mud if the u/c fails!

I think that was it from memory so had to fill in the existing and create new ones....lol smiley

Edited By Mike Stevens on 05/11/2017 13:43:09

Posted by Peter Miller on 05/11/2017 08:22:38:
Posted by Alistair Scolley on 04/11/2017 21:29:24:

Alistair

One of our club members had a Kyosho CAP 232 or some similar number.

IT had a vicious tendency to spin in. He rebuilt it the first time but not the second time.

The trouble was that the wing WAS upside down. Maximum camber on the underside of the wing.

Even kit manufacturers can have a DOH moment. I showed pictures of it in my "Miller's Tales" column

I wonder if it was designed with wash-out? Inverting a wing with some would certainly promote the likelihood of tip stalling!

A few years ago I was given 4 SAM type planes , including a Southerner mite with a Mills 75 and the 3 others were brushed motor powered

Well the Southerner and one of the leccy jobs have flown successfully so I started converting a nice little Luton Minor to brushless , should really have a Cox 020, I Put in the new motor and electrics, bound a new speccy RX just to test things out ,

Rudder left , right all OK , elevator up down , Hold on, there is only one side working !! It was then I noticed that there was only one elevator on one side only , The tail plane had been built with one side as part of the horizontal stab and the other as a movable elevator , !!!????

Never seen this before ??? And the models were from a very well known modeller, so whats going on ??? Must be right ?!! So programmed a lot of rudder /elevator mixing , just cos I thought it might help .

Then someone on this site mentioned Outerzone , Ah. they may have the plan , I searched through the Lutons and found one that matched , Sure enough looking at the little plan , with a maggi glass it shows the tail with only one elevator !!Thinking there must be a note on how to fly this odd system , I got a bigger section untill I could read the small print .

That clarified things a lot

The right hand side of the tail plane is shown as for free flight , the left hand view is shown for 2 channel radio

So there you have it , mine is a mixture of both !!!smiley

I have now cut the fixed side off and made a movable one

Nothing is as it appears !

cheers

That "well known modeller" Should be saying DOH!! now.

I have just bought a book with the full reprint of the original Practical Mechanics series on building the Luton Minor and Flying Flea plus the post war version of the Luton Minor..

I was tempted to build another Luton Minor but have been sidetracked. Beginning to wonder if I made a mistake

The "well know modeller " has only the angels for an audience now , hence thats why I have a few of his models . .

The Lutons elevators are HUGE at least 40% of the tail area so I do think it would have had a bit of one sided effect .

But I shall look up the Sonata E to gain some "interest experience "surprise

cheers

Posted by Flyer on 09/11/2017 21:01:24:

Remembers a flying wing; full elevon deflection. Launched applied right elevon, and it promptly rolled left and landed in thick grass. Fortunately no damage, and once servos' reversed, it flew well.

blush

Been there done thatblush. I managed to take out the fire wall with engine still attached angry