black horse chipmunk

AndyD

good days flying today despite the gloomy weather and with no problems,well apart from the cheapy plastic spinner as cracked,now with a good 2 hrs on the ngh 38 its time to fiddle as shes still running rich.love the engine and its not a shaker like some have said but I think mines a late one and uses a beam mount and not stand offs like the first ones but a great combo ngh38 plus chipmunk.

Advert

first time poster but long time lurker on this one... (hello chaps, great forum!)

i have the 64incher in my build queue. absolutely itching to start it, especially now with the shorter days... but i dont want distract myself from my Goldberg Cub build which is nearing structural completion....

Have a Saito 82 ready to go in it which i think will be more than ample; I'm not looking to tear strips in the sky....

Other than the issues with the floppy main struts which are well documented and I'm mulling over, I'm curious as to how people approach the elevator - the manual states double servos... do most people accept that as the best approach? what alternatives have been used? thanks

Hi Chris. I think your BH 64 Chippie will be great with the Saito 82. Regarding the question on twin elevator servos I believe most fliers go along with this as "standard" on this kit . I do find it makes it easy with modern computer radios and trimming us no problem. The BH 64 kit is fine with two decent standard servos on elevator. The "floppy" main struts I don't really find a problem as I installed them with plenty of hard epoxy. It is worth making sure the wheels are forward a bit and can be seen protruding in front of the main wing when viewing from above. If you don't it can nose over easily when taxiing. The main mod I did on mine other than strengthening internally was using thicker tail wheel /rudder wire. The gauge supplied in the kit is inadequate and can result in the rudder slipping/ wire bending. I used a much thicker gauge and bent the tail wheel end after fitting the wire into the rudder. It's. a lovely flying plane and a great looker. I flew mine last a couple of weeks ago and really enjoy it.

apart from the asp 90 petrol conversion and strut strengthing plates mne is built as per instuctions,probally .my fav plane,at the mo. I prefer it to its bigger brother but ive not had many flights with yet so still getting used to it.with the saito it will sound as good as it flys.

Posted by chris evans 8 on 31/10/2016 20:46:44:

i have the 64incher in my build queue. absolutely itching to start it, especially now with the shorter days... but i dont want distract myself from my Goldberg Cub build which is nearing structural completion....

Have a Saito 82 ready to go in it which i think will be more than ample; I'm not looking to tear strips in the sky....

I'd be more worried about tearing the wings off than tearing strips in the sky! My 69" Airsail Chipmunk flies very well on an OS52 FS and is significantly bigger!

Saves adding lead, I suppose...

Good to hear Andy . I think it is a great practical semi scale model. I find it very aerobatic too. Mine has an OS 95v turning a 14x7 prop and has more than enough power and a lovely sound. I flew it earlier with my OS FS 81a which now resides in my Acro Wot. Both engines offered similar performance but I thought the old fashioned look of the 95v suited the Chippie, plus the 81 is a better fit in my Acrowot.

I don't think there is any danger of wing tearing on this unless you do very silly flying! Mine is plenty strong enough. Have flown it for a few years now. Just common sense needed. It's recommended by BH for 60 two stroke and 90 4s I don't think I'm rushing out to buy a smaller engine😉. Needed some lead even with the 95 FS

• 6 years later...

I picked up a BL chipmunk with a 40cc MVS engine in it a couple of years ago in a moment of madness. I'd just gotten back into the hobby and I thought it might be a good deal. 2 years later and I've still never fettled it into flying condition. I have a couple of questions if anyone in the know could help I'd be grateful.

So this one I bought has the wings secured by way of the previous owner screwing from the top of the wing into the end of the wing joiner tube. God knows why! So there are no wing joiny bolts/nuts for the tabs from the wing to the fuse. Can anyone advise or show me a picture of these bolts?

Also, at the leading and trailing edge of the wing root, there should be a stud or similar to help locate the wing into the fuse - again these seem to be missing - I thought they were M6 threaded but an M6 bolt slips in so they're not that. Does anyone know what the thread size is?

I'm sure I will have many more questions... Hopefully someone can help out. I can take some pictures to show what I'm on about if it helps.

Thanks!

Dave

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GrumpyGnome said:

That't the third different version of the manual I've seen!!! If I add all three together I almost get the full picture. Mine doesn't have those X mounted oleos though, mine are on a z shaped torque bar. I think mine is probably one of the much older versions of the artf.

• 7 months later...
On 11/01/2023 at 11:45, David Hazell 1 said:

That't the third different version of the manual I've seen!!! If I add all three together I almost get the full picture. Mine doesn't have those X mounted oleos though, mine are on a z shaped torque bar. I think mine is probably one of the much older versions of the artf.

That's the manual for the 85" span model, much of the content of the thread seems to relate to the 64" version.

Edited by Jim Bottomley
Typo.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aidan mcatamney said:

I mean the Chipmunk 60 arf.  I've wrote to numerous model shops throughout the UK and Europe and I got the same response from everyone telling me that the model is discontinued and that it won't be coming back.  

They do pop up used from time to time however if I understand correctly where you're based, that may not be too helpful.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, aidan mcatamney said:

Many thanks.  I will keep an eye out as I'd love to own that plane.  

Are you aware of Outerzone?

Plans are available in various sizes although the simple search has returned models of that name that are not of the DeHaviland plane  https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Chipmunk&Submit=Search

Disclosure - I like the BH one too, so have one I picked up some time ago the queue 😉

Edited by Graham Bowers
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Graham Bowers said:

Are you aware of Outerzone?

Plans are available in various sizes although the simple search has returned models of that name that are not of the DeHaviland plane  https://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Chipmunk&Submit=Search

Disclosure - I like the BH one too, so have one I picked up some time ago the queue 😉

I'm afraid Graham I'm an out and out arf guy lol.  I should have bought one years ago when they were available.   

On 25/08/2023 at 11:23, aidan mcatamney said:

I mean the Chipmunk 60 arf.  I've wrote to numerous model shops throughout the UK and Europe and I got the same response from everyone telling me that the model is discontinued and that it won't be coming back.  

No use to you really but I've got an unstarted one that I intend to complete if I live long enough. I take it you're not in the UK.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Jim Bottomley said:

No use to you really but I've got an unstarted one that I intend to complete if I live long enough. I take it you're not in the UK.

Thanks for your reply.  I live in Ireland and have been flying rc since 1986.  Good luck with your Chipmunk,  of what I've seen on You Tube it's a nice flyer.