When the wife/husband/partner has other ideas...

The Wright Stuff

As a light-hearted bit of fun, I wonder who else has endured a day out in place of a model show, in order to preserve marital harmony.

I was all set up to go to the Aeromodeller Event at Old Warden on Saturday. Now, the wife is usually reasonably happy to come along and sit in a deck chair and watch model planes, especially if it's just a couple of times per year.

"Weather looks nice", I mentioned at breakfast, "fancy a day out today, get some fresh air?"

Quick as a flash, she said: "It would be really nice to do something together today, just the two of us. I've always wanted to go to visit Sandringham House".

Snookered!

I didn't have a bad day out, but no model aircraft were involved! :-s

Advert

We have a member at our club who has been a long term bachelor. Then he started turning up at the club with his lady friend! who would come to watch him fly. After a few months he would come on his own again. When questioned about if he was still with the lady he replied oh yes, but she says, you go flying on your own, I wont come with you.

After a few more months he would say that she would say to him, you are not going flying again are you?

Now we hardly see him!

I'm very lucky as Mrs B has a fully worked out philosophy where model flying is concerned. She was once asked by a much younger and less experienced girlfriend of her's did she not object to the amount of time I spend going out flying - her very wise reply was:

"I know exactly where he is. He's in a field with a load of other middle aged men playing with toy aeroplanes. Believe me, it could be much, much worse!"

And yes, she does come to shows. The NATS are were her favourite!

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 25/07/2016 22:31:09:

I'm very lucky as Mrs B has a fully worked out philosophy where model flying is concerned. She was once asked by a much younger and less experienced girlfriend of her's did she not object to the amount of time I spend going out flying - her very wise reply was:

"I know exactly where he is. He's in a field with a load of other middle aged men playing with toy aeroplanes. Believe me, it could be much, much worse!"

And yes, she does come to shows. The NATS are were her favourite!

BEB

Ah, but does she still go model boating ? We never did find out if it got finished (or did I just miss the posting ?).

Re. the original posting, Old Warden is the PERFECT venue...... there is also a botanical garden on site. Last weekend I played with my toy aeroplanes and she went and looked at flowers (or whatever you do in botanical gardens crook). We met up for a picnic at lunchtime and we both went home happy! Old Warden is not to be missed! teeth 2

Paul

'Bought a bargain engine too.....wink 2

Edited By Paul Jefferies on 26/07/2016 07:49:32

My Wife asked me to go with her to this big fancy mega shopping centre about 90 minutes drive????

She said there is a good hobby shop that i could visit, so yippee off we went with me having a jolly good grin and enthusiastic about what gems i may find in this shop i had never heard of.

Board games, DR Who, Star Trek, Star Wars and other paraphernalia, along with gags and trinkets.

Not an aeroplane in sight.

Posted by Andrew Russell 2 on 26/07/2016 10:03:14:

Sadly I now spend more time doing house repairs than flying

However when i do go flying I have a very simple solution. Don't tell her I'm going and save 1 argument.

Ha ha. Reminds me of when I left the house to do my A test. Rather than wish me good luck, she said "You'd better hope you pass!"

"Why?"

"Because for the last three weeks, you've been out every evening. And you told me you were practising flying!"

eek.... no pressure!

I'm happily single and live on my own, although I do have a girlfriend, who is more than happy for me to go out and do my own thing flying wise. In fact, if we go away somewhere for a weekend she asks me if I'll be taking a model with me and will there be any flying opportunities. laugh

And when I go along to any of the PSSA events in N Wales, she's happy to come along, browse around the shops in Llandudno, then meet me up on the rock and chat with the other wives/partners.

Life is sweet! yeslaugh