Super Scale Avro Anson

Here's what I enjoy most about taking RC video. I get the most pleasure from being able to share flights of amazing scratch built model aircraft such as this Avro Anson. Not kit. No plan. Reproduced based only on an article in 'Fly Past' magazine about the full size aircraft and took a year to construct with special attention to the interior. For me, just amazing.

This video taken at the BMFA Southern Area Electric Event.

Edited By Dom (Essential RC) on 09/08/2016 08:03:40

• Like 2

Dominic

I think I may be able to offer a small correction to your first post. The model is built from the Duncan Hutson plan and uses the cowl and canopy mouldings - all are available from Traplet Publications (the other side to RCME...!).

I spoke to the builder Mr Hardy last year at Wallop as I recognised the design straight away and have all the parts myself. Mr Hardy was kind enough to send me photos of his way of tackling the undercarriage which is slightly different to that shown by Duncan Hutson on the plan.

I think your reference to details from Flypast magazine only relates to the fabulous interior that Mr Hardy has built as none of this detail is shown on Duncan Hutsons plans.

You are right though, it is a lovely model and flies just right too.

Edited By Alan Gorham_ on 09/08/2016 12:32:12

• 2 years later...

I would not worry to much about retracts on this model. The full size very often flew with the wheels down especialy on short flights or when been flown solo. This was because the UC was retracted by a hand crank that needed a lot of turns.

Good feature in January's Aeroplane Monthly.

Edited By J D 8 on 17/01/2019 21:21:05

Super model and video. Takes me back to my ATC cadet flights in the mid-fifties.

I was a little disappointed that the model is electric. I would be "nicer" with a couple of
4-strokes, although I appreciate that twin power management is probably much simpler with electric power.

Edited By brokenenglish on 23/01/2019 14:23:56

• 4 months later...

Good evening all, I just finished an Avro Anson, from a Duncan Hutson plan. It may not be to perfect scale, but to me it looks allright. It's powerplant is 2 OS FS48surpass. The dry operating weight came out a bit more than hoped for: 6,200kg (about 13 lbs), and that includes a horrible 350 grams of lead in the nose in order to get the cg right.

The maiden flight is approaching fast, and I have a bit of a confidence lapse. I would love to get some practical info from people who have built and flown it: weight? controls deflection? Correct cg position? (on the Hutson plan it looks exagerated forward in my opinion...) Any further hints and tips? Thank you much!

Cheers, Jo

• 7 months later...

Hi everyone, Just purchased the plans and short kit of the Anson fromDuncan Hutson, but instead of the military style Im going to build it as the Avro Nineteen, the post war, bright blue, small passenger version, which has a different canopy and top. So I'll have to vacuum form a custom canopy and such. I think Robart retracts designed for the Top Flight DC-3 will work with some modifications, will be functional but slightly off scale. Also planning on figerglassing it and putting two Saito FG-11 gasoline engines in it because I love the 4 stroke sound and can't stand the mess of glow fuel. I haven't seen anyone online with an Avro Nineteen so maybe I'll be the first!. I"m sure it will be a bit on the heavy side :/ But i'm not trying to do any crazy stunts with it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated

• 3 years later...