November 2016 and Nov 2017 issue feedback

Adrian Smith 1

when the lastest RCM&E dropped on my doormat this morning I thought all my Christmasses had come at once! This month's content will keep me going for ages. Firstly, the Wizard of Oz rounded off his piece on walbro carbs, the Go Green article on wiring ( I never was sure how to solder a Multiplex plug properly) was very informative, and last but not least Dave Burton's tutorial on converting to leccys which I am a virgin on is very helpful.That said I am still a petrol head, but I thought electric might be fun to try. Well done guys!

I'm not sure why, in the current climate, the magazine continues to run ads for Parrot drones - a quadcopter last month and fixed wing this month - claiming a 2km range for the first and 1.4 miles for the second. Hardly line-of-site (certainly with my eyes), and no mention in the ads of the regulations or CAA Drone guidance etc., just a small print statement that "Maximum range depends on wireless settings and flight environment".

• 1 year later...

As ever a great read and this month excellent reporting on the Nationals in particular the scale events by Alex Whittaker. Just a comment on the reference to a competitor being hit by a model and air ambulanced to hospital. I think this may be referring to the gentleman competing in CL combat who had a coronary episode. 2 of the other competitors administered first aid before medical assistance arrived. The BMFA spontaneously held a collection and a good sum was raised for the Air Ambulance from competitors and spectators. Thankfully it was subsequently reported the gentleman made a good recovery which I very much hope continues.

In the Chuck and Duck a gentleman was hit by a wayward model and went to hospital and, to the best of my knowledge, returned to Barkston after a precautionary overnight stay. Robert Armstrong’s letter on page 32 describes well the dilemma of FF in large crowds of people and associated risks.

P

Edited By Paul H on 28/10/2017 10:07:10

I wondered why anyone would commit pen to paper in the letter which pointed out that the front cowl ring on a Lysander should be a metal finish and not painted...... at the very minimum the author should have included photos and a write up of his model which demonstrated how he achieved the correct finish - and without those... why put it in the mag??

Posted by stu knowles on 28/10/2017 10:43:23:

I wondered why anyone would commit pen to paper in the letter which pointed out that the front cowl ring on a Lysander should be a metal finish and not painted...... at the very minimum the author should have included photos and a write up of his model which demonstrated how he achieved the correct finish - and without those... why put it in the mag??

Probably hasn't got a front cowl ring on his Wot 4 Stuwink

At first I was inclined to agree with stu and Ian above, but I wasn't sure about what exactly the "cowl ring" was. I thought it might be hiding inside the outer cowl so I looked at the letter in the November mag and that intrigued me greatly, as it was well argued and pleasantly put. I then looked at the October issue cover and article. and wondered.

So . . . off to YouTube for full-size examples of both the Lysander and Gladiator, and there it was! The front cowl is indeed seemingly bare metal and seemingly part of the exhaust system, just as the letter-writer said. I doubt very much if it would have been painted in view of the heat and exposure to the elements.

I would in no way "knock" the model and builders as they appear to have made a beautiful job of it and one has to presumably draw a line somewhere to achieve a "finished" model. As my wife and I said when we were editing wedding videos in a past life the job was never finished, merely "abandoned"!

My own skill and interest levels in Scale jobs is minimal, but sometimes post catch the eye and away-we-go. The "Woodpecker" free plan in November is much more MY cup of tea - I can just visualise it pottering by no-one taking offence to in my locale. Yet another added to the list . . .

Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 26/10/2016 13:42:02:

when the lastest RCM&E dropped on my doormat this morning I thought all my Christmasses had come at once! This month's content will keep me going for ages. Firstly, the Wizard of Oz rounded off his piece on walbro carbs, the Go Green article on wiring ( I never was sure how to solder a Multiplex plug properly) was very informative, and last but not least Dave Burton's tutorial on converting to leccys which I am a virgin on is very helpful.That said I am still a petrol head, but I thought electric might be fun to try. Well done guys!

chip, this thread is a bit mixed up I'm afraid. Instead of starting a new thread for Nov 2017 folks have picked up the Nov 2016 thread and extended it! So the early comments don't refer to the current edition of the mag - they refer to last year!

We (the Mods) noticed this yesterday and we did discuss whether to try to fix it - but TBH it would be big messy job to extract this year's posts and put them in the new thread, and it still would be less than satisfactory. So, we decided to leave things as they are. But of course this runs the risk of folks getting a bit confused about what refers to what! Best guidance I can give is check the date at the top of any post, if it says 2016 it's referring to last years mag.

BEB

Referencing the 2017 mag.

Personally I do agree that it is quite an improvement on many recent months publ.

No where near as much aspirational articles, for very expensive, large bits of kit. More in line with what Joe Bloggs, the average model does and buys.

My only continued whinge is the narrow time slot of the SC plans of a very small size models. Perhaps a move forward in time to model sizes and appearances that may appeal to a broader audience, such as the P E Norman, Blister or the D Boddington, Barnstormer or for scale the P Tanfield Fokker D8. Moving to the early proportional such models as Ian Peacock Bootlace. All models which were designed to be good club models, with character, well suited to electric power or as IC as designed. Perhaps it is time to move forward to early proportional and Doug Spreng etc.

A creditable effort, non the less, which I have found interesting