painting a foamy

Countryboy

Advert

You may well need to de-grease the surface to remove the mould release agent before painting - hot water with some washing up liquid in it sponged on and dried off

Then Acrylics or house hold emulsion (B&Q) tester pots and a cheap source in any colour you want and yes they will mix specific colours - mind you it does tend to confuse them when you ask for camo colours!

Which model, are you sure it's polystyrene ?

Multiplex models, for example, are made from what they call "Elopar" foam. But other companies use foam that seems to be identical. The big difference as far as paint is concerned is that polystyrene dissolves very easily with many types of paint that don't affect Elopar etc.

I painted my MPX Easyglider using a couple of rattle cans of acrylic based paint bought at a local car accessory shop. Whilst the actual paint itself wouldn't have affected polystyrene the propellant probably would have.

Yip, the model has a blow plastic fuselage and EPO wing so you should be good to go with all acrylic and enamel paints. EPO is Expanded Poly Olefin and is a lot more durable than polystyrene. If using spray cans , hold the can about twelve inches away from the surface and build up with light coats. The paint won't effect the foam, but the accelerant in the can may - hence the reason for not getting the can too close to the model. As mentioned, you need to clean off any release agent before painting.

You can get quite a nice finish (for a foamy) on EPO. Here's my EDF EPO TA-4K sprayed with Tamiya enamel rattle cans using the blu-tack and cling film method.

scooter2a.jpg

Edited By KiwiKid on 10/11/2016 10:38:41

If it's Multiplex 'Elapor' (note spelling) or similar (like EPO or 'Epoflexy' then I swab down with meths then spray with 'Plastkote' from B&Q.

As previously stated, it can melt the foam if sprayed too heavily or too close. You can make a virtue of this (with practice) by spraying just heavily enough that the paint starts to etch the surface. A couple more coats to build up the colour results in a surprisingly durable finish.

• 1 month later...
Posted by ernie carter on 12/01/2017 10:37:04:

building display model TSR2 from plywood and depron foam. painted white as the real thing but cannot decide which varnish or laquer to use to get a real nice shine and cover decals. Any one got a good suggestion as to what to use and where to get it?

Be careful what varnish you use as many will give white a brown tinge that worsens with time. As it's a display model and weight is not an issue ,two pack white gloss may be the way to go as it will stay white. There is an epoxy paint system that would be good supplied I believe by Fighter aces .