What can I replace my Wot4 Foam-E with?

Neilma

Hi folks

My trusty Wot4 Foam E finally bit the dust today - After a couple of years of flying it has accumulated its fair share of glue/filler and steam to get the foam back in shape and after todays unplanned meeting with the field (dont fly with the S6R in knife Edge mode and then turn off the throttle switch by mistake looking for the right switch) I have decided to retire it although it would be an easy fix.

I am looking to build something that will use all the electronics from the Wot 4 (ESC/Motor/Servos/prop etc) - I havent ever put a full model together (I have done a few ARTF and plenty of foam models) so I am not sure if I fancy all the building although something like the Fugly looks achievable for me.

So, I am open to suggestions for a replacement plane? Any ideas?

Thx

Advert

Well not as stupid as me with my Acrowot Foamie. I wasn't used to my Taranis and on the first flight with it I was trying to trim the elevator (mode 2) and switched the transmitter off! fail safe worked fine but it was in the pre-trim state with down elevator - the inevitable result was new a fuselage and motor

I'm going to restrict my S6R modes to either 'off', auto-level' or 'stabilisation' for a start. 'Hover' and 'knife edge' can wait

Geoff

PS the Fugly is interesting and I can recommend both the Riot (my test model of choice) and the Acrowot Foamie

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 04/12/2016 21:46:10

Thanks chaps - I am not averse to a balsa - Just the building of one from the ground up

Since your suggestions, I have also found the Wot4-E Mk2+ which looks interesting - Can reuse all the electronics etc and wont break the bank Anyone have one that could recommend it or take a swerve?

How about Basic 3D by Mike Keay. I have not built one but it is on my build list. It is a bit like a Limbo Dancer and built for IC but would make a simple Leccy conversion. There is a CNC kit available from My Hobby Store but it seems a bit pricey and it doesn't look too demanding to make your kit of parts. Here is part of the plan to give you an idea of what is involved.

img_3128.jpg

Thanks folks - decision made. I shall repair the foam one. Run it until xmas. Then take delivery of a Wot 4-E Electric Mk2+ or whatever it is called (the balsa 80% version for electrics)- move all the bits from the foam across to it and see how that goes. I can then dispose of the foamy or keep it for the inevitable earth/plane interface that will be iminent at some point in January

Reading the spec on the back of the latest RCM&E, it seems the 80% balsa version is designed to use precisely the sort of gear that comes out of the Foam-e.

Re the latter - I agree they can be repaired flyable far more (and more often) than a traditional build (and I know whereof I speak). A cunning combination of steam, cyano and brute force is required...

The balsa 80% Wot 4 is a great model, but it is a lot heavier than the foamy version, so I'm not sure you'll enjoy the same level of performance as you'd be used to if you recycled the power train.

I learnt to fly on the balsa electric wot 4 on 3 cell 2200's however I now fly it with 4 cell 2200's and it's a different plane! I use a 60amp ESC and the largest motor that would fit in the cowl and still had to add about 110g of lead!

Posted by Ian Mathews on 07/12/2016 08:11:12:

The balsa 80% Wot 4 is a great model, but it is a lot heavier than the foamy version, so I'm not sure you'll enjoy the same level of performance as you'd be used to if you recycled the power train.

I learnt to fly on the balsa electric wot 4 on 3 cell 2200's however I now fly it with 4 cell 2200's and it's a different plane! I use a 60amp ESC and the largest motor that would fit in the cowl and still had to add about 110g of lead!

Are you talking about the old balsa version or the new 2016 version? I know there were weight issues with the earlier version; I assumed the 'makeover' version was designed to over comes issues like this.

The website specs refer to a Quantum ii 40 motor; 40A ESC and 2200 3s batteries. Motor aside, that's what comes out of the foam-e. Personally, I can't think of any reason to choose the balsa version over the foam-e. If they did an 'airframe-only' kit of the foam-e, there'd be no market for the balsa version!

Posted by iqon on 06/12/2016 21:14:04:

I would be surprised if your stuff will work in the balsa version, I would check youtube out to find out what others are using

Funnily enough, I have looked but couldnt find any videos (plenty for the foam one) but none for this Mk2 version. I am guessing as its a popular plane (Wot4 in general) in the UK that there isnt a huge amount of content uploaded from outside the UK?

For the record - This was the one I was going to purchase - http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=A-CF003A

Not this one....

http://www.ripmax.com/Item.aspx?ItemID=A-CF002/A

Edited By Neilma on 07/12/2016 15:48:59

Posted by iqon on 07/12/2016 15:25:54:

the new wot 4 ep/ gp uses 4s....nothing from a foam model will fit...

I don't have the model, so I'm relying on the ad at the back of the Dec mag and the first link in Neilma's post above.

Both refer to 3s 2200 batteries being recommended...