U-2 Dragon Lady

Chris Barlow

Advert

The slopes are for the jets I want to build but without noisey EDF's or expensive turbines! Oh and lazy scale gliding, and foamie wings in gales, and laughs with mates!

The engines are just for my nitro addiction, I can give it up any time!surprise

...And Correx isn't bio degradable when I drop it in the sea, but then again neither is Hitec! blush

u2 pilot.jpgA friend, and I also have this plan. Our aim is to build the U2 to 1:12 scale which is 18% smaller than the plan size.

The reason for this is that I am planning a Russian M55 to the same scale (123 inch span). They should look good in the air together, hopefully at one of the later PSSA meets in 2017.

Pilot figures for them both have been made, at 1:12 scale, by Real Model Pilots, so when you come to do your cockpit Chris they should be able to do one to 1:8 scale for you!

Edited By Martin Gay on 13/12/2016 20:48:51

Edited By Martin Gay on 13/12/2016 21:00:18

Edited By Martin Gay on 13/12/2016 21:00:48

Edited By Martin Gay on 13/12/2016 21:02:06

That pilot looks spot on Martin. I'll be in touch with RMP probably next week for an A-10 pilot so I might be ordering the spaceman too!

Still not 100% decided on the wing yet but as an experiment I'll set up a hot wire cutter and have a go at an F-117 PSS model first. Foam cutting and vacuum bagging will be a useful addition to my skill set/equipment but only if I can get satisfactory results. If it goes badly wrong I'll be either making a built up wing or ordering an expensive one! surprise

Another question though from a traditional balsa basher, what is the advantage of a foam/veneer fuselage like Phil Cooke's A-10 over a traditional built up and skinned one as per the drawn plan?

TBH Martyn I haven't given that much though yet but with such a big wing I hope it's lowish. The drawn plan was designed for a 90mm fan so without that is will be lighter. At some point I will have to calculate the required materials and their associated weight to come up with a ball park figure and take it from there!

I have noticed that there a a few 1/4 ply formers for u/c and motor mounts that could be substituted for a lighter alternative and the use of a 6v rx pack instead of a NiCd flight pack will require less support too.

With paint going on the A-10 this weekend would be a good time to get the note pad and calculator out. yes

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Darker evenings and less time to fly after work combined with the show/fly in season coming to a close means it's building season again!

The formers were cut some time ago so it was time to jig it up and dry fit the stringers and see how it went. Unfortunately none of the slots in the formers would line up and the stringers were taking some odd lines down the fuselage. Resisting the urge to adjust and re cut the slots I did some investigation and after nearly half an hour of head scratching I discovered that the plan sheet with the wings and side view of the fuselage was slightly smaller than the sheet with the formers and plan view on! Setting the formers to the plan view spacings the slots lined up almost perfectly! The side view measurements have to be multiplied by 1.05 to match the plan view! Fortunately this will only effect the fin and wings from now on!

So the long cigar was glued and jigged and I have made a start on the planking. 4 hours in and about another 6 hours left to go!

20170930_131156.jpg

20170930_131221.jpg

Think I'm gonna need a bigger shed!