Confessions of a Bodger

Advert

Our family motor has a bonnet release which would be non-functional (and prevent the bonnet from opening) if not for the judicious application of several large cable ties.

"How they can find people with enough money to spend on such a course amazes me. To spend that much money to learn the skills of probably the lowest paid trade (and now extinct industry ) in Britain is beyond belief! "

They will learn how to produce artisan hand crafted furniture, produced from ecologically sound, sustainable farmed woodland. It will cost 10x the equivalent DFS/MFI/etc item, despite it's unique character-enhancing individualities. It will be adorned with numerous stickers and logos proclaiming its adherence to fair trade and green standards and will be sold to overpaid Londoners with weekend country places twice the size of anything the locals can afford.

The jokes on us.

Personally, I can't wait for the day the B ark leaves...

Edited By SuperNash on 23/01/2017 14:50:48

Posted by Peter Miller on 22/01/2017 13:27:14:

I was recently told this little story.

The rear fuel injector on a BMW packed up. IT seems that it had a straight six engine. They could not get it out without removing the engine, a £2000 operation.

There was no access throught the scuttle but someone (Not a BMW engineer) said why not cut a hole through above the injector so they did. Removed the faulty unit, fitted a new on and fitted a rubber hole plug in the hole which looks as it it was always meant to be there.

Poor original design, blindness to see the obvious answer and so vast sums for a simple job.

One more to the bodgers

I don't know the specific model but on most BMWs you simply, remove the scuttle.

Shaunie.

Colin,

Do not undersell yourself, anyone who has been an aeromodeller that long will have achieved significant bodging ability.

To those of us brought up in the 'make do & mend' time of the 40's bodging was an essential part of our upbringing.

It might have been darning socks , leather patches on your jacket elbows, mending your bike etc ......everyone was at it.

I had a very talented uncle who could just about turn his hand to anything. He used to say " An engineer, ie a bodger, is a person who can do for sixpence what any fool can do for £1".

Back in the day "Aeromodeller" had a monthly feature of bodges, it was called "Gadget review"

I recall, with some pride, a motoring bodge from the 70's. Two of us had been slope soaring at Moel Famau. We were going home in his Morris Marina when the engine died. This was Wales , on a Sunday, miles from a garage (which would be closed anyway) & it was starting to get dark. The problem was that the fuel pump had failed. The bodge was to fill the washer bottle with petrol, connect the washer tube to the carb & drive home on the thumb pushed washer pump. Got us back home ,50 miles.

I can think of many successful aeronautical bodges. Spitfire IX ( a mk 5 with a merlin 61) , Avro Manchester became the Lancaster. Probably the best of all, " Miss Shilling's orifice" If you don't know this one "google" it.

That just about completes the circle.

Cheers John

I have tears in my eyes. If BEB thinks I really am a bodger, then I must be! Thanks BEB, I was condemned to a life of misery until you said that. Now I see that there is hope for even a fudger like me.

Good one John, don't forget the Kawasaki Ki100, created because of a lack of engines for the Ki61, a bodged on radial engine saved the day and made an even better aeroplane. Could we not even say that the Rolls Royce decision to stuff a Merlin into a P51 was among the most spectacular bodges of all time?

Ah, Miss Shilling and her orifice! (The mods can't touch that one). She was a dab hand on a cammy Norton too. The highest standards of bodging are often associated with motorcyclists. Some of the bodges I've done with motorbikes you wouldn't believe. I have the scars to prove it.

I was on holiday some years ago in Cumbria when my Triumph Spitfire MK 1 started to make a dreadful whining noise. The noise came from the dynamo roller / ball bearing as the outer case was rotating in the dynamo housing. Fortunately in those days I always kept a set of tools in the car boot so I was able to dismantle the dynamo. So the bodge I arranged was to use some Gillette razor blades as shims to prevent the unwanted rotation. The dynamo was easily checked by linking both terminals with cable to one battery terminal and the other terminal to the dynamo body. the dynamo then ran as a shunt motor. To ensure that the dynamo charged up the battery it was sometimes necessary to reverse the dynamo field direction by flashing the battery across the dynamo terminals with the dynamo disconnected.

The car with a 4 pound Sea Trout on the bonnet!

spitfire mk1-with sea trout (.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/01/2017 17:49:45

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/01/2017 17:39:35:

I was on holiday some years ago in Cumbria when my Triumph Spitfire MK 1 started to make a dreadful whining noise. The noise came from the dynamo roller / ball bearing as the outer case was rotating in the dynamo housing. Fortunately in those days I always kept a set of tools in the car boot so I was able to dismantle the dynamo. So the bodge I arranged was to use some Gillette razor blades as shims to prevent the unwanted rotation. The dynamo was easily checked by linking both terminals with cable to one battery terminal and the other terminal to the dynamo body. the dynamo then ran as a shunt motor. To ensure that the dynamo charged up the battery it was sometimes necessary to reverse the dynamo field direction by flashing the battery across the dynamo terminals with the dynamo disconnected.

The car with a 4 pound Sea Trout on the bonnet!

spitfire mk1-with sea trout (.jpg

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/01/2017 17:49:45

Don't look like a 4lb er to me 3 1/2 at most face 1

A 4 pounder for sure John and fresh run with sea lice attached. Not the biggest I have caught, that was  9 1/2 lbs. but unfortunately my wife threw out my photos of that fish, but I did win with the photos two boxes of Mepps spinners in their photograph competition at the time (1967) -I still have the spinners (Aglia Longs 1&2).

The last Sea Trout I caught weighed over 6 lbs, that was 25 years ago. The river I fished was quite coloured unlike Welsh rivers, so spinners were more effective than flies but of course I did catch a number of large Pike on the spinners and a 2lb roach plus some big Chub.

Edited By Mike Etheridge 1 on 23/01/2017 21:19:52

It would be much easier to make the gadget with one fixed jaw but if it has both left and right hand thread there must be a reason for the more difficult design. It would seem to be to keep the item centred. If for example it was a machine vice for a drilling machine it would always drill a hole in the centre no matter what the thickness of material.

Or perhaps it adjusts twice as quickly because the jaws move together?

The jaws close as one unit, as though the original user wanted to grip two things, something that has two tails?, so that the central bit could be held. To use the tool, you twist the handle clockwise to close. Like an adjustable spanner with two sets of jaws. Built for symmetry rather than power.

Something which to me is useful, because it is stable as a clamp, but too complex as a design to justify making. But someone thought it was worth it. And as I said, I don't think it is hand made, but I suspect it is old.

Tom, my mum used to call my car 'Mr Woo' a well known song by George Formby. The Spitfire was badly damaged on a fishing trip when I had just passed through East Grinstead. An army lorry caused a concertina crash and the Spitfire was in the middle having bashed an Austin Maxi's tow bracket and then it was rammed by a one month old Opel Manta which was rendered immovable. However the Spitfire did receive a bodged repair with a fibre glass bonnet. It was eventually bought by someone who was interested in the registration number.

Posted by Donald Fry on 29/01/2017 15:13:56:

So what is this, the tool, not the wing. Old, bought in a bric-à-brac for 10 euro, think it is factory made, very good quality, turn the handle to close the twin jaws. Useful as a clamp for soldering jobs, and a mystery. A badgers special.

img_0302.jpg

I would say "hand vice" and use, pretty much as per you have found. For holding stuff as a third hand.

I have a lovely eclipse hand vice, tiny, about 4" long in total, with a tommy bar on a threaded rod to close the jaws. Only ever used it a few times, handy where the weight of the tool can keep a small solder job in place. The "handle" on mine can be clamped in a bigger vice if needed when you want to work on the piece being held, as a kind of makeshift jewellers vice.

I can't for the life of me remember where I got it from.

Posted by Mike Etheridge 1 on 30/01/2017 14:13:01:

Easy just sail the barge into a lock and drain off the water. Then someone should take the wheel!

Problem there is that every lock I've been in leaves enough water depth for the boat to continue floating. And that assumes you're have run-flat tyres or are very close to a lock when you get the puncture.

Really, you're just being far too silly...

laugh

One benefit is easy identification of the punctured tyre by the bubbles, of course.