Opinions please

Advert

Posted by Richard Ward-Davies on 21/01/2017 14:42:24:
Looking to get a reasonable charger for my lipo batteries.

I'm thinking of the above.

Don't want anything too complicated that will take weeks to learn how to use.

Thanks everyone

For up to 6s a genuibe Imax B6 is a pretty good reasonably priced balance charger - but watch out for fakes going cheap on Ebay

I have 2 of the RC6-VSP (not the "touch" jobby) chargers and they work just fine. Very easy to use. Neither of them has the internal resistance meter as advertised - or if they do, I haven't noticed.

If I were to drop one and break it I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

Ian

Have a look at the Etronix range.

**LINK**

I have had one for a couple of years now and am very happy with it.

It depends what you mean by reasonable. If I assume you mean price, then cheap is not always cheerful, particularly with chargers. You are probably better advised to go for a lower spec quality manufacturer, rather than a high spec copy, or unknown brand.

Asking on here is a good start. yes

Edited By kevin b on 21/01/2017 15:32:30

Posted by Richard Ward-Davies on 21/01/2017 14:42:24:
Looking to get a reasonable charger for my lipo batteries.

I'm thinking of the above.

Don't want anything too complicated that will take weeks to learn how to use.

Don't have one myself, but during the recent parallel/series charging thread one poster reported his RC8 from Overlander was rather pernickety and took a very long time on the balancing/CV phase of the charge, a bit uncommon complaint with cheaper chargers. For this reason I would personally look elsewhere.

To answer your question we really need a bit more info. What size and cell count batteries do you have, and how many? How big is your PSU? Are you looking to charge mostly at home before you fly, or do you need to field charge too? Do you like to parallel charge, or just one pack at a time? Answer these and we can give better advice, but if you are looking for the best value/quality tradeoff I would recommend the Turnigy Reaktor series from Hobbyking; they are based on the iCharger range, are very affordable and have an excellent reputation amongst users posting online.

Edited By MattyB on 21/01/2017 16:40:21

I would definitely second Matt's suggestion of the Reaktor chargers. I now have 6 of the 250w ones. They have all been brilliant and work flawlessly. Have been using them regularly for a couple of years with excellent results. I regularly charge Lipo 2s up to 6s 5000mah, Life packs for my transmitter, Nimh and Nicads. What more do you want?

Why 6 chargers, so I can balance charge 6 batteries at the same time and monitor each one separately!

Posted by MattyB on 21/01/2017 16:38:59:

Don't have one myself, but during the recent parallel/series charging thread one poster reported his RC8 from Overlander was rather pernickety and took a very long time on the balancing/CV phase of the charge, a bit uncommon complaint with cheaper chargers. For this reason I would personally look elsewhere.

That would be me smiley. Mine was a bargain (closing down stock) but I wouldn't get another.

looks Posted by Paul Marsh on 21/01/2017 15:33:58:

I bought a new charger, the Imax, new black one for £5 at a Swap meet. Bought another one, part of an ebay deal today for £100, including a 2.4 radio, battery, motor and esc. The RRP of the charger from Hobbystores is £79, so I got a good deal...

16143082_10154711916511210_8739079211083696241_n.jpg

Looks a good deal to me. But how do I know what is a good set of electronics and what is not? Got my charger off the big river but looks very similar, seems to work well, but how do I know, my working life was in insurance, not electronics.

What is a clone and what is not?

S

I have had 3 B6's over the years, 2 fakes 1 genuine, but after buying a rc6 wouldn't go back to them. All seemed very vague when it came to balancing, my mate tells me that you can recalibrate them, but I don,t trust myself to do that. Batteries that wouldn't balance on the b6 when put on the over lander sort themselves out quickly.

My first charger was (and still is) an RC6 Touch, I was that happy with it that I got another unfortunately it was faulty and was returned to Overlander who promptly sent me a new replacement which was also faulty and was returned. Having had one good one and two duds I asked them for the RC6 RSV - so far its been very reliable.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure to start a new thread, but as I bought some stuff above recently and bought these today, might as well run this thread.

Got a massive ebay haul today. guy was advertising all this for £110,, but gave me it for £100 and chucked everything he had into it. Litereally 10 receviers, loads of expensive batteries, servos galore, and too much to list - just have to see it for yourself. Reckon a few hundred quit here...

And 4 complete models - with rx in them all: A Sonic 64, Wing Tech, a Blanik and a another delta wing - again with another rx in it.
There are even brand new Graphine batteries in there, z benders, extension leads, plugs, chargers, etc. phew!!!

ptdc0003.jpg

ptdc0005.jpg

Chargers are so cheap nowerdays and I did pop one a few months ago, but sometimes on Swap meets - like the last two, bought brand new non-clone Imax B6's for £5 each, one being the expensive Overlander one, as above. Got another today. probably have around 30 chargers around, one for each model...smiley