What's the main radio brand you use 2017?

Posted by Erfolg on 07/03/2017 22:34:40:

I may be the only one who is a little surprised at the relatively small numbers of Spektrum radios. I expected them to be at the +50% mark.

Bear in mind most club members (it our club is typical) don't participate in forums or surveys such as these, so the results of this survey are really a snap shot of forum members, which probably slants it more towards the computer minded users who use forums to get programming tips on their radios.

Advert

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It is interesting that so many Spektrum users are saying they will leave to go over to Futaba following the closure of HH's UK service centre and rejigging of their distribution - are old habits dying hard? Moving from a brand that develops new products rapidly to one that is positively glacial seems a little strange, but I guess many people are only looking for relatively basic functionality and high reliability from their radios. Futaba does still do that well (though at a price).

I suspect FrSky are now suffering from the "cheap and cheerful" tag that got them started so successfully, even though nowadays they are a lot less cheap (and higher quality in the main) than they used to be!

Marty, as you say, they say they will change brands. But some folk are never happy. It is still a surprise to me why we get that exited about radios. They all work, one seems to have sticks you are a bit happier with, the switches suit one rather than another. But they all work.

Mind, I have just donated a six channel Futaba system to a beginner, 2000 vintage. And having checked it through, was twiddling the sticks, and reaching effortlessly to the switches. And I thought, this is better laid out than my DX 9.

Basic functionality and reliability. .....Yes and yes. That is why I like Futaba. The reliability is the most important for me. Many people do not want to spend time learning to program a radio system. Building the planes takes long enough! For me the functionality of Futaba is well above what I would regard as "basic". ( I use their 14sg and FF7). More functionality than I have would be total overkill for what I do. I can see why enthusiasts like to do their own programming but I'm happy with the way Futaba does it. I do own a DX6i for BNF models but use Futaba on my larger model aircraft. .

Posted by David Mellor on 26/04/2017 17:25:10:

Posted by MattyB on 26/04/2017 16:43:45:

I suspect FrSky are now suffering from the "cheap and cheerful" tag that got them started so successfully, even though nowadays they are a lot less cheap (and higher quality in the main) than they used to be!

I think you are right, Matty.

I switched (from Spektrum) to FrSky Taranis because of its essentially unlimited programming capability.

What I find puzzling, though, is how many people are attracted by its Open Source capability. Why not just program it yourself to do what you want?? Perhaps I'm missing something.......

Ultimately I don't think most buyers care about the fact it is Open source. The main reasons they go for it are a) they get a huge amount of functionality for the money compared to big brands, and b) if OpenTX is missing a feature they want they can request it and have a reasonable chance it will be implemented within a few weeks.

By comparison the number of people who want (and have the skills) to code firmware (be that adapting/forking OpenTX or starting from scratch) is tiny vs. the number of traditional buyers who just want great functionality and reliability at a bargain price.

Edited By MattyB on 27/04/2017 11:22:19

Posted by Timothy Harris 1 on 27/04/2017 10:42:33:

Basic functionality and reliability. .....Yes and yes. That is why I like Futaba. The reliability is the most important for me. Many people do not want to spend time learning to program a radio system. Building the planes takes long enough! For me the functionality of Futaba is well above what I would regard as "basic". ( I use their 14sg and FF7). More functionality than I have would be total overkill for what I do. I can see why enthusiasts like to do their own programming but I'm happy with the way Futaba does it. I do own a DX6i for BNF models but use Futaba on my larger model aircraft. .

Reliability above all ...... some talk about high priced ..... English proverb says: "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap"

Thanks Timothy

Futaba from 1975 to 2012 (35Mhz), Spektrum from 2012 to date (DX7). Just bought a DX8 G2 which has all the flexibility and features that I and 90% of sport flyers would probably need. I suspect that the vast majority of TX functionality goes unused beyond the basic setup and mixing anyway. Never needed HH's support, so where they've relocated to is irrelevant to me. Warranty is a problem for the retailer and it's incumbent on them to deal with any issues.

Posted by Josip Vrandecic -Mes on 27/04/2017 11:46:30:
Reliability above all ...... some talk about high priced ..... English proverb says: "I'm not rich enough to buy cheap"

Maybe, maybe not. In reality all modern digital RC based on 2.4GHz FHSS protocols is EXTREMELY reliable, irrelevant of who made it. There are a few exceptions to prove the rule - physical quality on some of the very lowest price kit(such as Orange RXs and the original 9x TX) have caused problems, but step up to the FrSky/FlySky/Tactic etc and the products are just as reliable as any big brand. I am happy to state that from a reliability perspective I would be happy to use any FHSS based protocol for my models, be it from Flysky, FrSky, Futaba, Spektrum, JR, Jeti or Frsky - I view them all as reliable as each other. Ultimately the number of true radio failures nowadays is incredibly low - the bit that causes the issues is the squidgy thing that installed the gear, charged the battery and twiddles the sticks.

Like myself I think the world would be a better place without all the different types of modulation/protocols. Many of us can remember when it didn't matter what make of R/C gear we purchased it was simply 27 or 35 Mhz !! Wouldn't we welcome back those times!!! Now.... you by some gear... and the sellers jump ship... stop manufacturing... move onto something else....change modulation etc etc It's a right pickle! Just a bit of stability would be great. Of course the latest thing is to add a stabilisation device to all the Rx's... before long we won't have to fly the model... it'll do it itself

• 3 months later...

I have allways used Futaba, for approx 25 years, never a problem, Sky sport 6, Field Force 8, Field Force 9 all 35 meg. I used an Hasan module and receivers in the FF9 without problems, sold it on to a clubmate some years ago and it is still in regular use without problems. I then converted to 2.4 meg Futaba FF7 and FF10 , the only problem was when Futaba dropped the FASST protocol, but I now use a mixture of Futaba , Frsky and I hate to admit Orange 2.4 receivers all without any problems, knowing me I will start to have radio problems as soon as I post this, Regards Geofff.

A recent thread was about people having trouble with Spektrum radios.

I said "why buy one?" and got a lot of flack, one of most telling arguments being: Spektrum had more reported problems because it was so popular, well this poll shows it makes up just 30% of all radios used!

It is one of the aspects that I have noted, that non of the major brands, collectively seem to have any reliability issues, that is excepting perhaps one. Given that Futaba, JR and Hitec probably have a greater combined market share, I would expect there fault rate to be similar to another major brand. Possibly more significant is that probably most Futaba owners ( I am one) have had their sets for several years, rather than the some of the brands in use.

Although not as popular I cannot but notice that Frsky never seem to report reliability issues that effect successful flying. As an aside I use a number of Fasst Frsky receivers, which I guess are not measured in this poll, they seem to be extremely good.

The graphs show the trend is to Spekrum, although they have not yet completely dominated the market.

Cheap, but not wholly reliable.

I would happily recommend Spektrum to a newbie who wanted cheap and cheerful, but would not fly it myself.

Edited By ted hughes on 02/08/2017 02:32:59