Horizon Hobbies

Going back to an earlier post. Futaba do have a service centre in the UK. Ripmax.

I recently sent them a transmitter I had broken (hit the wrong switch and an electric model burst into life and bit it) and was in touch with their repair engineer. They only have one and he is extremely pleasant and helpful. the transmitter was repaired very quickly at reasonable cost and he replaced the broken case parts as well FOC. If there is only one person dealing with futaba radio faults and he has time to converse with the customers, does that say anything about the product ?

It would be interesting to see a chart of all of the manufacturers warranty claims statistics.

Advert

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 17/03/2017 18:49:24:
Posted by Justin K. on 17/03/2017 15:46:36:
Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 17/03/2017 15:30:10:

Page 27 of the latest RCME has a pointer to the latest gen. It tells us to visit www.horizonhobby.eu Surfing that site, eventually you'll find in the FAQs that there is a service centre in UK. http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/service-advice/index.html

Hope this helps.

Gordon

Wooosshhh

Eh??

The info on the website is out of date, their entire operation in the UK is closing for the last time on 31st March and all service enquiries are being passed over to Germany as of iirc 13th of this month.

Which is the subject of this thread, hence the whoosh parrot!!devil

Kim

Posted by kevin b on 17/03/2017 19:48:56:

If there is only one person dealing with futaba radio faults and he has time to converse with the customers, does that say anything about the product ?

Yes. It says that hardly anyone buys Futaba. ALL radios have faults.

Spektrum undoubtedly have more faults, but they will, there must be ten times the number sold as all the other makes put together....

Posted by Kim Taylor on 17/03/2017 20:09:04:

The info on the website is out of date, their entire operation in the UK is closing for the last time on 31st March and all service enquiries are being passed over to Germany as of iirc 13th of this month.

Which is the subject of this thread, hence the whoosh parrot!!devil

Kim

Thanks for your much more helpful comment Kim. I had read the entire thread but in the absence of any definite evidence, interpreted the comments regarding Horizon UK's future as possibly just hear-say. The Horizon ad in the latest RCME now looks completely cynical as there's no hint of any move, though the acquisition of Stauffenbiel is hinted at.

In the same issue, David Ashby reviews the Spekky DX20, and the data table says that UK distribution of this 1250 quid outfit is by Horizon Hobby UK.

It looks as if both RCME and HH have been caught on the hop regarding the move, if the magazine info isn't up to date.

Gordon.

Posted by Percy Verance on 17/03/2017 20:13:26:

Well Kevin, my Multiplex sets have spent precisely zero time at the service agent having their nil number of faults sorted....... smiley I've not used anything else for 27 years, so I've no idea about the others.

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/03/2017 20:15:48

Well, I've had a couple of problems with my Mux3030.

First was one very cold morning it didn't transmit at all. I returned it to Germany and they replaced the RF board and I had no more problems on that score. I didn't lose a model as It failed before I even started an engine.

Second was more serious when a wire broke connecting the joystick which meant I had no elevator or aileron. Fortunately the model (Flair Puppeteer) landed unharmed. No idea why the wire broke because the stress relief clamp meant it wasn't flexed at all. I repaired it myself and it's been working fine ever since.

Even the highest quality kit fails sometimes. I've had Campagnolo seat pins break on my bike and they've been the best for years and very expensive. I've had BMW motorcycle crankshafts break as well. Perhaps I'm a Jonah

Geoff

Posted by Paul C. on 17/03/2017 21:47:19:

Any chance of explaining what a 'woosh ' 😦

The woosh is to point out that the key information on what has happened seems to have gone woosh straight over the heads of some on the thread.

It's been fairly common knowledge that Horizon are pulling out of the UK and as Guvner points out in his post redundancy notices have unfortunately been handed out. So in reality no one has been "caught on the hop" its just an out of date web page.

Oh Dear Oh Dear Oh Dear.................... For goodness sake Guys,,,,,,,,,,,, MY radio is far better than yours, it never goes wrong, etc, etc, etc, (So's my car, BTW) ........................... YAWN...................................................

Parrot? Better watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vuW6tQ02

Edited By Dave Bran on 18/03/2017 08:13:09

I have jump ship I have got fed up with all the so called problems with the DX6 ,can not be having it !.I need a transmitter that I have confidence in and knowing that I do not have to worry about will my DX6 let me down .I was going to replace it with a DX9 but I see they have issue! So I have splash a lot of cash and replaced all my models over to Futaba .Now I am enjoying my flying again .I have confidence in my radio gear and I do not have to worry if anything goes wrong with my radio gear I do not have to post it of to Germany I can post it of to North London to be repaired!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by tigerman on 18/03/2017 08:39:17:

I have jump ship I have got fed up with all the so called problems with the DX6 ,can not be having it !.I need a transmitter that I have confidence in and knowing that I do not have to worry about will my DX6 let me down .I was going to replace it with a DX9 but I see they have issue! So I have splash a lot of cash and replaced all my models over to Futaba .Now I am enjoying my flying again .I have confidence in my radio gear and I do not have to worry if anything goes wrong with my radio gear I do not have to post it of to Germany I can post it of to North London to be repaired!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look at the thread and the Horizon website you will see that you post it to Harlow which is in Essex.

Posted by Peter Miller on 18/03/2017 08:52:04:
Posted by tigerman on 18/03/2017 08:39:17:

I do not have to post it of to Germany I can post it of to North London to be repaired!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you look at the thread and the Horizon website you will see that you post it to Harlow which is in Essex.

Peter. It's Germany. HH UK closes down next week...

Perhaps you all remember my original post and query? Well, Ive had a few emails from Cathy at Horizon hobbies in Germany. She replies like "donner and blitzen" but hasnt been much help. She has contacted the French office, so they must have something still running in France. They say they never got the RX, so there is not much to argue about. They never reply to me

I'll keep you posted

ernie

Posted by Steve J on 18/03/2017 09:10:03:

Posted by Gordon Whitehead 1 on 17/03/2017 20:56:33:

the acquisition of Stauffenbiel is hinted at.

Horizon bought Staufenbiel in 2014.

Steve

Indeed, just like they were back on page 1 of this thread! 😂😂😂

Woosh!

Posted by Bill_B on 18/03/2017 09:19:12:

I wonder what thoughts Ali Machinchy has on this issue.....

A bit of trepidation I would imagine? The same as any employee who see's restructuring, closures and redundancies occurring within the company that employs you.

That's just life tho unfortunately we've all been there.