Horizon Hobbies

I am sad to see HH 'withdraw' as I cut my teeth on the Hobbyzone then Parkzone stuff. The later of the Parkzone stuff being of excellent quality, with top notch support and good spares availability.

That said, I am getting fed up with Eflite launching rejigged Parkzone airframes at exorbitant prices, even if they are retracts etc when other companies make bigger and sometimes better versions (FMS, Durafly) anyone?

My Spectrum gear has had at least 3 brownouts, so this move will only hasten my Futaba purchase.

If you have to buy HH products then your consumer rights are unaffected regardless of who or where goods come from. It is down to the seller supplying the goods to change or repair goods. Whether or not they have to send goods to Germany for repair is not the concern of the consumer.

Now I must get back to my Parkzone P-51 Gunfighter refurb.......

Advert

I know it's an old email but it's interesting to look back at the stated strategy when HHUK wrote to their UK dealer network and what it has evolved into now.

I've no issue with were the stock comes from prior to landing with a retailer, but I always found speaking to the guys and girls at Harlow really helpful when the retailer wasn't able to. Lets see what's actually put in place.

Dear Valued Business Partner,
We are writing to inform you that we as Horizon Hobby have decided to make a change to our logistics operation in the UK. This change is made in order to improve our overall logistical service levels and efficiency going forward. We have elected to use our European Distribution Centre in Elmshorn, Germany to fulfill your orders, the EU Distribution centre has a vast level of experience with logistic fulfillment and is currently serving all European markets successfully such as France, Italy and Spain. This change has several advantages also for you, it will enable Horizon Hobby UK to bring new items faster to the UK market with one delivery point for our vendors in Europe. It will also ensure that new items come to market simultaneously in all areas of Europe going forward. The concentration of the logistics operation in our EU Distribution Hub will also improve our general fill rates and service levels in all product categories across the board. We will not be forced to engage in cross shipping between both locations and as a result this will aid us in the replenishment of our inventory more frequently.
The change has been carefully planned and will be executed from 15/09/14. There will be no change in the business model or business processes for you. Horizon Hobby UK Ltd will remain the company that will cater to all your needs; you will still place your orders either with your Area Rep or through our B2B system. The sales and Service team in Harlow will be available as normal for all your ongoing requirements and are unaffected by the change.
We will continue to have a Service warehouse in Harlow. This will be used for the Service department, small parts and also returns.
In summary, there is no change for you and the way we do business together except that the parcels will come from a different distribution centre. The main advantage will be better product launches and an increased service level. We value your continued support and are looking forward to serving you to the best of our ability.
Best regards
Mark Divito and Stephen Mallinder
Managing Directors
Horizon Hobby UK

Seems fair enough, you can see the logic, even though some aspects with respect to timing may be over egged, in being better for the retailer.

Perhaps some linkage of the memo to latest move, would have been a good move. All part of a story and journey to a better future.

As to will it work, is another matter. I was only reflecting a few days ago as how transient brands and companies appear to be in this area of commerce. At the time I was thinking of Pilot, Kysho?, Enya, Sanwa, Maratuka, Profi. I then thought that some are still here, but somewhat in the distant back ground such as Krick, Sig.

As a owner of a Enya 35 set and a couple of Enya engines, life has gone on. As the market changed, i just purchased other brands, or did not consider what were once household names (to modellers).

The sales and Service team in Harlow will be available as normal for all your ongoing requirements and are unaffected by the change.
We will continue to have a Service warehouse in Harlow. This will be used for the Service department, small parts and also returns.
If the above statement were true ? why have all the staff been put on notice and are being made redundant ?

Posted by CARPERFECT on 28/03/2017 20:11:56:

The sales and Service team in Harlow will be available as normal for all your ongoing requirements and are unaffected by the change.
If the above statement were true ? why have all the staff been put on notice and are being made redundant ?

Because that statement was released approx 30 months ago?wink

Kim

I do find this a very interesting situation. Although when i reflect that for some it is more than interesting, I feel somewhat chastened.

After due consideration, I would not buy a Spektrum radio set today or tomorrow.

I am perplexed with respect to the model products in general, is there UK based sales team? Or were they also disbanded?

I certainly find no pleasure in the apparent position of HH in the UK as the Devcon link, at face value indicates problems going back to 2014. I can believe that the figures are indicative of the poor state of health of the UK retail trade, as well as the Wholesalers. Although if correct does not surprise me, as i thought that the present UK model trade business structure or model is no longer fit for purpose.

I have had a few surprises over the last few years, I had though that now is the era of the Giant Cods, Robotbirds, BRC hobies and leading the way HK. What I seem to see is the same old model just crumbling away, bit by bit. I guess that the +1000,000 modellers of all types in the UK, is just enough to let the sector slowly die. Eventually will the trade just be a few guys trading out of their garages?

I am guessing the managed market of the artists materials or Cosmetics, where suppliers are allowed by the EU to regulate prices is not viable with models. The problem being is that us modellers will cheerfully purchase from a low cost brand, when it is known that the quality is there. Which is unlike some sectors, where the label is more important than the product.

Edited By Erfolg on 28/03/2017 21:30:28

I see no change at HH, maybe an elaborate April fools as the Service section of the website still directs us to Harlow. Or perhaps it wasn't this April.

By coincidence I've a problem trying to upgrade firmware and connect an AR636 RX to my PC to reset gains etc. The LMS that I bought it from has ceased trading so I'll try HH Monday.

A very helpful lady at HH sent me 2 switches FOC 1st class which arrived today, so helpful to the very end, She did confirm they closed the doors on Friday 31st despite what the website "still" says today - Saturday.

I feel for the people who have lost their jobs but in these days of a global economy and so long as someone in the service department speaks good English (lets face it many Germans do) I don't see a problem. Even with Harlow closing I was never going to physically knock on their door and lets be honest courier services are extremely efficient these days.

I work for a French parent company and apart from minor differences in time and holidays communication and parts supply works just fine.

Everyone is entitled to their own personal opinion which others have expressed, however my DX9 with Spektrum & lemon receivers has NEVER missed a beat and I personally would buy another tomorrow. Even with Harlow closing any warranty contract is with your UK supplier, presuming it was purchased here in the UK. Outside of warranty time will tell and only then can an informed decision be made. Even that will be difficult as those with bad experiences will tell 10 people as opposed to a good experience who will share it with just 3. Ace

Thanks Denis, saw the update which says if you have a Parkzone Sport Cub then you should apply the update to enable remote AS3X adjustment. But when you follow the links there is a message somewhere saying not to update preinstalled receivers.

I ignored this but couldn't get the firmware upgrades using the Spektrum updater software but I could do it by using the Spektrum programmer software. All works well now and much easier to adjust and setup from the PC instead of the stick waggling AR635 that I have in another model.

As said before I feel for the team at Harlow and hope things go well for them. But I do think HH are being a bit tardy when it comes to communicating their changes.

Does anyone know what's going on with the crazy price hike of HH stuff? £545 for a DX9 black edition in some stores that was £350 only a couple of weeks ago and same sort of story on the models, prices increases across the board of HH branded stuff.

Is this a possible reflection on the move and will return to normal once all is settled down or something more or something else?

I certainly didn't vote for that B word =)

I'm not seeing it on a lot else though, and i fly dlg's and haven't seen any crazy price hikes in the last week or 2 (and most are European builders) unlike the HH stuff.

That DX20 recall is firing up a right storm over the pond on other forums, it's a shame as i was a huge HH fan but they seem to be really letting themselves go just lately, their new telemetry rx's are pretty poor, incorrect documents on the Spektrum website that haven't been changed in months and the 11ms issue on those telemetry rx's that has passed 6 months now with no fix.

I can't comment on other brands service but i'm just glad i'm not tied into only one brand for my radio and at least with the one i can get all the spares parts and FW i need from a UK shop to service my own radio if it needed it VS having to ship to Germany.

I really hope HH sort it out.

Well it looks like the UK website has gone.

Information

The shop you wish to enter is currently not available!

Dear customer, this webshop is currently being converted. You can now find us under the new address: www.horizonhobby.eu

Please try again later.

Posted by Devcon1 on 03/04/2017 07:52:20:

Well it looks like the UK website has gone.

Information

The shop you wish to enter is currently not available!

Dear customer, this webshop is currently being converted. You can now find us under the new address: www.horizonhobby.eu

Please try again later.

The Staufenbiel.co.uk address says the same too.