Warbird Replicas Bf 110 club.

Advert

Well... as it is so delightful outside I can get a little more building on the way, well at least until the boss says otherwise.

I had a good ol'e chinwag with Richard yesterday and also had the pleasure of meeting Glynn.

As I have previously said I am new to this building and this is my second build so when thinking of how and what to cover the rudder fins with, Richard came to the rescue and suggested solartex..... well I'm hooked it creates the fabric covering effect perfectly...

20170318_184433.jpg

and for the main fin as I used for Spitfire a slight deviation from Richards 'brown paper method' I use good ol'e Tesco's grease proof paper. Same glue as the brown paper and with a consistency of single cream,

Oh don't forget shinny side up! Once in place use a film iron to fix and shrink working from the middle outwards , presto ready for undercoat. no dope required, no sealer required and a couple of quid for 20m of the stuff laugh

20170319_091940.jpg

This is just a little aside , and I dont want to go off topic here (never bothered you before I here you say )

But just take a couple of minutes to nip over the Warbirds Macchii 202 thread elsewhere on this forum . (dont know how to do the link - There's honestly for you )

It just that its reached a rather fabulous stage today and anyone that enjoys building in wood will appreciate the beauty of this item .

Well needed to decide on how I was going to connect the tail up so before going any further decided to put the Fuselage together to a point where I could see how much I have to play with....

20170319_184655.jpg

I was lucky enough to get my hands on an unwanted piece of kitchen worktop I have a few screws holding it together underneath so stable but it allows me to put it away when needed. It turns out it's just the right size!

Oh and I bought a great adjustable spanner... top left in the picture! cheeky

I don't know what all the fuss is about on the 'Macchi' Thread I mean this fuselage is just as complex!!!

Well I am trying to post pictures for the first time so bear with if these do go wrong!

Recently I have been incapacitated with Arthritis, which is really annoying as I want to crack on but as Richard mentioned earlier in the thread I will be painting Herman and Wilhelmeena once they land here, meanwhile I think I have more or less settled on this scheme, I am busying myself with drawings of the little parts that hang off the air frame while I can and have decided to make wheel covers for the supplied wheels that will just screw on just to give a bit more atmosphere.

bf110eeduardbg_64.jpg

I will be making the bombs and bomb release with the option of drop tanks to suit whatever mood takes me when I finally do get it flying.

As is always the way with me I don't like making things too easy, I am working out a way of making the bombs spring apart and deposit french chalk on impact! We will see.

I think that is a great paint scheme Nigel , Plenty of contrast gives it real wow factor. It is qutie easy to do this one too . When we get to this stage we can talk through a simple process that get the look without being an expert with an airbrush (or even owning one !) . A lot of people are good builders but wary of finishing , I am always looking for the shortcut, so for those that want to do this scheme we will have a simple step plan.

Note also that S9 +HP squadron codes were applied to a number of aircraft as they were chewed up or worn out on operations , The same scheme went through to the later G models but with a slightly softened edge to the camouflage .

Too kind Richard but I will be interested in any way to help, and will incorporate into this build because the way I do things can put people off sometimes as I do like to experiment on how to make things difficult and long winded sometimes! laugh

So when I get there I may have to make a visit to my old stomping ground as it were!

Found out a bit more about it, two prototypes were built, they had issues with the air frame although with the extra engine they were obviously faster but nose heavy and upon release of the torpedo would tend to nose over! one was lost at low level release when it nosed over into the sea but luckily for the crew it was more of a heavy arrival so they survived.

Interesting project though it was cancelled in the end as the war moved on.

img_7059-vi 2.jpg