Laser engine in a Hangar 9 Carbon cub

Mark a

Advert

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 11/04/2017 20:07:09:

One chap came in and we just managed to shoehorn a 120 in there but I'm not sure it really needs that much power

I was thinking of the 100 Jon the 80 would be ok I think but for a bit of extra grunt the 100 may be the one.

Posted by Mark a on 11/04/2017 20:45:03:

One chap came in and we just managed to shoehorn a 120 in there but I'm not sure it really needs that much power

I was thinking of the 100 Jon the 80 would be ok I think but for a bit of extra grunt the 100 may be the one.

why would you want extra grunt on this model? the 80 is the closest match to the recommended evolution 15cc engine

Posted by Phil 9 on 11/04/2017 21:28:40:
Posted by Mark a on 11/04/2017 20:45:03:

why would you want extra grunt on this model? the 80 is the closest match to the recommended evolution 15cc engine

Thats a very valid point Phil and your quite right why would I need the extra power when an 80 would suit the model perfectly.

The engine choice is between the 80 or the 100 for me.

The 80 will give scale piper cub performance but not a lot else, the 100 will give a more sprightly performance but will not be as easy to hide in the cowling as its a smidge taller.

Its a bit tricky as its got a big span but its not a big model, although the weight they quote (over 11lbs) seems a bit excessive. If pushed I would probably use the 100 myself

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 11/04/2017 22:23:17:

The engine choice is between the 80 or the 100 for me.

The 80 will give scale piper cub performance but not a lot else, the 100 will give a more sprightly performance but will not be as easy to hide in the cowling as its a smidge taller.

Its a bit tricky as its got a big span but its not a big model, although the weight they quote (over 11lbs) seems a bit excessive. If pushed I would probably use the 100 myself

I'll try it with the 80 first and report back.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/04/2017 09:08:47:

Sounds like a reasonable plan. I would mount sideways so the tank can stay put, if you mount inverted the tank will need to be lowered

Will do Jon thanks for the advice.

• 1 year later...

Well after much delay I finally flew my cub for the first time today. The Laser 80 pulled it along just fine with power to spare. Take off was uneventful and no trimming needed but it was a bit windy so we'll see in less windy conditions. All in all a good day.

We dont really recommend straight fuel any more. It works fine but the difference in cost to 5% nitro fuel is really small and the improvement in performance, mostly in cold weather, is worth the small extra cost.

I would be interested to hear how heavy the carbon cub ended up. I always thought 11lbs was a bit much for a model this size. Clearly the 80 is having no bother pulling it along so perhaps its lighter than they claim

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 31/12/2018 12:01:44

Posted by Paul Marsh on 31/12/2018 12:09:58:

It is quite a heavy model, although slows down, it seems to fly ok in our windy weather. MIne has got 3 batteries in, as it's using a Dual redundancy system and metal gear digital servos (HS5645MG)

Edited By Paul Marsh on 31/12/2018 12:22:42

yikes! i would use standard servos and a single 4.8v nimh. Why the added beef? Seems seriously overkill for a cub

Started off with an Eflite Power 60 470KV on 6S then changed over to an old Laser 100 in my H9 Carbon Cub. It flew beautifully . Another club member has one of the latest Laser 80's from Jon Harper fitted in his , which seems to produce similar grunt as my 100 .

I used standard digital servos (Savox 0252)

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 31/12/2018 13:02:06:

It is quite a heavy model, although slows down, it seems to fly ok in our windy weather. MIne has got 3 batteries in, as it's using a Dual redundancy system and metal gear digital servos (HS5645MG)

yikes! i would use standard servos and a single 4.8v nimh. Why the added beef? Seems seriously overkill for a cub

I always use a dual battery set up now to protect against a cell going down after loosing a nearly new Flair Leo a few years ago.. I hear doubters say "that dual battery is not needed blah blah blah " perhaps not in a small model with small investment in time and money but to see a nice larger model go in and be helpless is a bit annoying to say the least. I always fit dual batteries with diodes to prevent drain and dual switches. A small price to pay for a bit of peace of mind . Ordinary servos will be fine on a cub type model but it has the capacity to carry dual batteries so why Not fit them.

ps. I should add that I now use either twin LiFe 2 cell packs or twin 5 cell NiMh packs with 2.4 radio 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 01/01/2019 16:37:53

Posted by Engine Doctor on 01/01/2019 16:08:13:
Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 31/12/2018 13:02:06:

I always use a dual battery set up now to protect against a cell going down after loosing a nearly new Flair Leo a few years ago.. I hear doubters say "that dual battery is not needed blah blah blah " perhaps not in a small model with small investment in time and money but to see a nice larger model go in and be helpless is a bit annoying to say the least. I always fit dual batteries with diodes to prevent drain and dual switches. A small price to pay for a bit of peace of mind . Ordinary servos will be fine on a cub type model but it has the capacity to carry dual batteries so why Not fit them?

yes

Standard servos: Maybe;

4.8v battery: No, No,No, deffo a big huge No NOoooooo! thumbs down

Dual Battery: Why not, as Engine Doctor said. The model is only worth at it's weakest link. A cheap 4.8v battery is all that is holding the model together with no headroom, especially on a 2.4 Ghz system...