Allergic reaction

Chris Whalley

Hi chaps, after many years in the hobby I have recently started to use Aliphatic wood glue and on a couple of occasions have come out in a rash on my forehead and cheeks. After much thought and deliberation I can think of no other reason for this but a reaction to the glue. From what I can remember it has only occurred when I have used it.

In forty odd years of aero modelling this is the first time this has occurred despite all the other glues and materials I have used. Also I have had no change in general life style that may have contributed towards the problem.

Right, after all that my question is, has anyone had a reaction to aliphatic glue?

Regards Chris Whalley

I've heard of lots of cases of sensitisation to epoxy and many more (including myself) to cyano, and also to balsa dust. However I've yet to come across any reactions to PVA or Aliphatic resin. That's not to deny it's existence though but, as has been said, there are plenty of allergens in the air at this time of year that might also be responsible.

God luck in tracking down the cause - and I hope it doesn't interfere with you enjoyment of the hobby.

I have recently developed an allergy to CA and balsa dust. It starts with a streaming nose and sneezing fits followed by day 2 of a completely blocked nose. Odourless CA seems OK but cannot avoid the balsa dust. So i have just invested (borrowed from our stores!) a half face mask with active filter. Will try this this evening and see how it goes. Nothing must be allowed to stand between and my building.

As for aliphatic and PVA all is well in my case and I very rarely use epoxy.

Sorry about your problem Chris, and maybe someone else will come forward later.

There must be 1000s of us use this stuff with no adverse reaction.

A collegue of mine in the NHS told me he had come across this 2 times in his lifetime, which makes this very rare, and commented that allergy is complex and usually a result of combined gasses or compounds, although you are aware in your post that you narrowed this down.

We should keep looking into this

I have had hay fever ever since I can remember. I've had skin tests and desensitising injections. I used to take Haymine until it was withdrawn from the market. I'm most allergic to THIS... ( so the allergy doctor said) and foxgloves

June and July are my worst months. I get a tight chest and breathing problems around the second week in July ......

However, as soon as combining starts I know the season is at an end. Still, I think myself more fortunate than some.

Edited By cymaz on 02/05/2017 17:49:32

Edited By cymaz on 02/05/2017 17:50:18

The comment about dust on your clothes and in your hair is a good one. I have noticed that the symptoms are relieved a bit after a shower. We have full body disposable Tyvec coveralls at work (like Silent Witness, CSI etc!) so this, plus respirator, goggles and non-allergenic latex gloves and it's problem solved.

I am looking at fabricating an extraction booth for sanding dust. I have Proxxon miniature kit and they all have extract capability so I must look into that as well. Happy days.wink

I have real problems with both Aliphatic and Ca (which makes building in winter an issue with having to open windows to disperse fumes) . I've started to use a modified extractor unit from a small "hobby" spray booth . Its not brilliant but seems to do the job .

Hi chaps me again. First off thanks to all who posted replies. After reading through all the posts and giving it some more thought I am quickly forming the opinion that my problem does not lie with the aliphatic glue but more with balsa dust. It would appear with advancing years one becomes more susceptible to more alligies etc. It's something that has never bothered me in the past but is now another obstacle that comes with age. Once again thanks for all your replies and interest shown.

Regards Chris Whalley

PS Has anyone got a deep sea diving helmet they don't need.😃😃😃

Hi Chris, I think it's very much the same for me - advancing years and long term exposure. Yesterday I cleaned my workshop and developed mild symptoms as I was using a vacuum cleaner so the dust was minimal. I am now sure that the severe reaction is when I get a combined dust/CA dose. I also notice that alcohol, bananas, chocolate and anti-perspirant sprays trigger sneezing episodes! Oh - and also tax demands.

Stefan

The things we put up with for our hobby. Looking forward to dry weather and gentle breezes so I can carve and sand outside. However, these are also the conditions which need to see me on the slope and field. Time to retire to get the build/fly balance sorted.