twin engine model thread

Phil 9

Posted by gangster on 09/05/2017 15:10:39:

Just rigging a Ripmax Harmony that I have been given complete with two sc40s

I am wondering about batterys. The previous owner seems to have used one battery for all servos including the retracts. In theory this should be fine but if there is no bind on the retracts. What are the forumites thoughts on the rx battery/batteries for this set up

i used a 2nd battery for my retracts and it saved me twice as the legs bend quite easily on the harmony if operated from grass.

Geoff, my first comment is actually that your picture nicely proves that loss of an engine on an ic twin is not the end of the world if handled correctly, clearly, if he had Laser's fitted it is far less likely but still, good job getting it down safe :P

Brian Taylor Mosquito powered by RCV60SP engines, these have a much different sound to normal 4 strokes.

Topflite DC3, originally powered by Enya SS40 plain bearing engines then electrified. After close to 15 years stalwart service it ate the grass one final time.

Chris Golds B2 powered by 4 55mm Vasa fans, running on 6S, 1700W total power, 50,000rpm. Has flown briefly but CoG was well out, managed to get it down with minimal damage. Repaired, re-balanced and lightened, ready for the 2nd attempt.

1467readyformaiden.jpg

1454checkingcofg.jpg

dc3-3.jpg

dsc02216.jpg

This is what my Grumpy Tiger Cub looked like before it got relegated to the top of the building cupboard. As soon as I've got my glider built it's going to be finished off. I have a Scorpion Twin kit which must be 15 years old to start as well as an Extra Slim twin.

All this talk of twins has made me put an rx back in the Dual Ace and buy some glow fuel. Hopefully she will fly at the weekend. Had so much fun flying her over the past 8 years but I don't think she saw daylight last year (distracted by the smell of jet fuel!!).

Simon

My first ever twin. Is was the earlier version of the Galaxy Models Twin Scorpian, before the tail was changed. Think I put the model in the tip, as it was given to me, flown for quite a bit and was past it.

...and replaced with the newer one, which ended its days when an engine quit and had no height. Model was made into a new chuck model, with the salvaged wings....

Edited By Paul Marsh on 11/05/2017 23:40:03

• 2 weeks later...

I still have this: Made with a set of Precedent T180 wings. A guy called Victor Smith from a club I was in built it - he died many years ago, but might put a 2.4 rx in it and fly it tomorrow. Put new engines in a few years ago, as the original Thunder Tiger 40's were unreliable,

twin180.jpg

Edited By Paul Marsh on 20/05/2017 22:55:17

• 2 weeks later...

This didn't last too long either. It had a Saito front and back and an elaborate cooling system to force air over the rear engine. This involved a small ducted fan, separate battery and ESC all linked into the throttle servo. The idea was to switch the fan off above half throttle. In the end it was left on the whole time.

img_1504.jpg

I had two successful take- offs, flights and landings with the Twinstar 2 today with the undercarriage fitted as detailed earlier . The undercarriage survived but could do with some extra bracing such as a rubber band fixed between the undercarriage legs. An interesting exercise,the undercarriage structure is made with piano wire, coat hanger wire, carbon fibre tube, balsa wood and Coke tin aluminium.

p5270002.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

​A Dave Boddington 'Expo 80' converted to a twin with 2 x OS25 FP (lovely motors, ultra reliable) With a wheeled u/c it flies beautifully and will happily fly on just the one engine. With the floats it's grossly underpowered and will barely climb but great fun non the less, coaxing it along.img_4435.jpg

Edited By stu knowles on 09/06/2017 20:30:33

Edited By stu knowles on 09/06/2017 20:30:51