twin engine model thread

Phil 9

Advert

Hi Phil,

Here are a couple of photos of my twins

dsc09731 (800x533).jpg

My TN Beaufighter as yet unflown. Powered by a pair of Irvine 0.46's

dsc09520.jpg

An "Easi-Built" kit PBY Catalina, bit of a handful to fly slightly underpowered, Brushless upgrade total stab in the dark

dsc09505.jpg

My TN 60" Wellington, not completed many successful flights

dsc09135.jpg

Being a little of topic, my double twin own design Stirling.

Regards

Robert

Sadly, my Ripmax Extra Slim Twin shuffled off (or should that read splattered into) this mortal coil a few years ago but I do have an Extra Slim kit with the necessary duplicate parts copied awaiting its turn in the build schedule to replace it - this time with a pair of OS 46FXs instead of the 40 FPs that replaced the SC25s which originally flew it quite well...

devil

I hope this intent qualifies me to post in this thread!

Slim Twin

These really are the ideal first twin - with the close coupled engines and airflow over each fin they handle single engine situations with ease and I would happily complete an aerobatic flight with an early engine cut, just for the fun of it. If anyone comes across an old stock kit I can highly commend it. Just contact me for details of how to configure the control surfaces as it caused me an awful lot of head scratching and has confused others in the past!

I think its demise was due to an unnoticed inner engine cut during a low level flat spin - the only situation where an engine cut ever caught me out...

I have about 20 twins. Such as P-82 Twin Mustang to Extra Slim twin. I got this last year for a good price. They don't make it anymore, but an ideal twin trainer.

hobbico_twinstar (3).jpg

And Twin Otter, large scale, flies well.

Twin Otter

Edited By Paul Marsh on 07/05/2017 20:23:20

At the moment it's only the seed of an idea but I am dreaming of building Mike Booth's Bristol Blenheim. **LINK**The model has a 2159mm wingspan.

The original flew on a pair of OS 40 FPs. I have three pairs of engines which I could use: two OS 48 Surpass; two HP VT 49s and two Laser 70s. Alternatively I could just buy a pair of modern 40 two-strokes.

What would you recommend?

Its got to be a pair of 4 strokes David. The two lasers would be more than man enough I am sure. how heavy is the model supposed to be?

As for me, I have had many twins over the years. Sadly no photos of the beaten up pilot twin ace I taught myself with, but I do have photos of my Ripmax harmony which had no less than 3 different pairs of engines in its life. It was retired as it frankly fell to bits after many years of thrashing. My galaxy twin scorpion was fun with a pair of 30 4 strokes but I sold it due to not having any space in the hangar. I don't have photos of my ASM Hercules either as I didn't keep it long. It flew well but was boring.

My current mount is a hangar 9 pulse 125 modified to have a laser 70 on each wing. No decent photos, but you get the idea

dscn1256.jpg

p1010106.jpg

img_1861.jpg

received_10156540857380080.jpeg

p1010400.jpgp1010384.jpgp1010347.jpgp1010184.jpgI have had quite a few twins over the last 30years, electric has made it so much easier but nothing beats the challenge of getting glow motors to run well in a twin. Most of these aircraft were donated to the fire gods! I now have a hanger 9 B25 and am now busy fixing a unflown ESM B 25 that I bought after it fell from a ceiling.092.jpg

Lark 70 converted to a twin with LA40's. Took my A with this as it was the only serviceable aircraft I had on the day. Simulated dead stick resembled a lawn dart with a well timed flair - passed. Ace

djb twin 1.jpg

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 09/05/2017 08:40:24:

Its got to be a pair of 4 strokes David. The two lasers would be more than man enough I am sure. how heavy is the model supposed to be?...

I don't know how heavy the model was Jonathan. I used to have the magazine article on the Blenheim but with two house moves that seems to have gone missing. You're right of course, two Laser 70s would fly it easily but it would need a pretty substantial undercarriage as well, regardless of the engine chosen. Must stop skiving!

Here' a couple I took of a friend's YT P38 a few years ago. A pair of RCV 90 engines IIRC.

p38 00.jpg

... and now as a single!

p38 01.jpg

I'd taken a few pictures and complimented him on an unusual manoeuvre quite far out - actually is was a skilful recovery from an engine dead stick! Perhaps he should have opted for Laser engines (before Jon Harper chimes in )

Geoff

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 09/05/2017 16:38:27

Just rigging a Ripmax Harmony that I have been given complete with two sc40s

I am wondering about batterys. The previous owner seems to have used one battery for all servos including the retracts. In theory this should be fine but if there is no bind on the retracts. What are the forumites thoughts on the rx battery/batteries for this set up