Redundancy in larger models?

It really depends on how seriously and how far you want to take the safe flying of the model and the safety of those around you. I had a couple of LMA lads come down and inspect a plane that was not over the 20kg limit....turns out it was 18.5 kg.

I adopted all their recommendations without question.....they know best when it comes to lager models. The Powerbox system I have  is brilliant......not cheap. But some don't mind spending several £100's on a a model, the same on an engine, a bit more on the radio systems then stops 99% from the end by not adding redundancy, twin elevator servos, battery back up etc.

Edited By cymaz on 10/06/2017 19:42:55

Advert

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/06/2017 11:00:58:

Ace,

When a cell fails it almost invariably goes s/c, not open, so you would end up with four good cells giving a high enough voltage for 2.4 to operate. If one fails on a four cell pack the voltage will drop below the critical point and a failsafe should occur.

I thought that the large manufacturer who's receivers shut down for a long reboot at relatively high voltages had corrected this problem? Are there many systems that won't cope with voltages around 3.4 - 3.6 from a well discharged 3 cell pack? In the case of my system of choice, the receiver is designed to run between 3.2V and 8.4V and I've tested down to around 3V at which points the servos were the limiting factor...the receiver never lost connection.

My own experience of losing a cell on a 4 cell pack was that there were no noticeable effects on controllability and it was the telemetry that alerted me to the problem. Admittedly, the pack was fully charged so the pack voltage was still around 3.9V if hazy memory serves me correctly.

Just caught up with this thread, some great points, but worth highlighting:

"An internally mounted switch in a soft mount, with, say a piece of fishing line through it to turn it on and off, would go a long way to improving its reliability."

Mechanical elements are (in my day job experience) the highest chance of failure. Electrical failure is usually a much lesser problem. Anything we can do to reduce the mechanical sources is of higher value than the electrical fixes.

A FET is polarised Frank, so electronically, a reverse current could not pass by it

But in an high impact event, it would not prevent busted battery pack wires causing problems.

In normal circumstances a FET switch is a good choice, but another " but"

The FET needs power to operate

But so does the rx

Posted by Martin McIntosh on 10/06/2017 23:28:35:

jrman,

I beg to differ here because I have suffered this twice.

How on earth can an unpowered RX drive aervos to the pre-set failsafe position? Sorry, that's impossible; no RX or servos I have ever seen work without power!

In a power failure the servos will freeze in their last known position; the only variant on this is a "graceful" battery failure where the pack is nearly but not quite fully flat. In that situation the moving servos depress the batt voltage, the RX turns off, once off load the batt recovers slightly and the RX reboots and control may be regained til the next major servo movement at which point the cycle restarts. You still won't see an RX failsafe in this situation though.

Edited By MattyB on 12/06/2017 22:46:44

Funnily enough I have just had a switch failure on a new model. I just use two batteries and two hd slide switches, plugged directly into the receiver. After a recent couple of hours flying, I went to recharge the batteries today, and discovered one of the batteries still fully charged! I tried the switch and the ignition light came on and went immediately off. Second time it stayed on. Now, when I use the switch it will do the same thing, and the ignition light only stays on after the second time - very odd.

Anyway, this at least proves that at even simple redundancy works well. I now cannot trust the switches in the model and think I will buy a Boomarc pin flag switch.

The battery negative wire on the charger is not necessarily a ground. There's a fair chance that some of the peak detect circuit is snuck in between that negative connection and a nominal ground.

Hence, a bad idea to have a common connection between two batteries, when connecting them to two separate chargers. At the very least it will affect the sensitive peak detect circuitry. At worst, it might confuse the charger enough to overcook a battery (or conceivably the charger).