RCM&E August 2017 issue

David Milne

Reading Shaun Garrity's item on early mixers I remembered building an electronic one from an article in this mag way back in 97(I think) I seem to recall that I bought the components as a kit from the mag. It was completed and tested satisfactorily on the bench but never used in a model. I have tried to find it but no luck so have no idea what happened to it. I wonder if there is any one else who built one and maybe still has it?

Edited By David Ashby - RCME on 10/07/2017 19:16:32

Further to my comments on the July issue, my August issue arrived this morning and I'm glad to say that it seems much more legible this month. Every page is sharp and clear. Thanks for listening. Looking forward to a bit of electronics next month. September already!!

I have been having some reservations with respect to the recent content of the magazine.

Like many i do have a interest in the history of the hobby, although how much, and the breadth of coverage is for me up for debate. As far as i am concerned, RC modelling only found its legs when proportional systems became mainstream, even then at extortionate cost. On that basis how much interest is there really in single channel models of yesteryear now?

Then there is the very expensive large models, I know that every club has some, although most are often longer in the tooth than you initially expect. How many can, or are prepared to spend £500 or so on a airframe, and often as much on an engine. I do understand that the trade need us to buy this type of model, to be viable.

Yet at the end of the day, the tun over is mainly of the mid sized models. Often electric at this time. On that basis, I am surprised that although catered for, often this sector is not as comprehensively catered for. Which brings back to plans. Even for electrics this sector has moved from the circa 36" model towards the +50".

Dave Burtons pieces are always of interest, although he nows shies away from typical calcs to emphasise his points. A few number often add clarity to the arguments.

Today a lot of models seem to be flown using gyro set ups, yet this area is seldom touched upon, with respect to what is available, how does the novice decide on what is appropriate and how are they set up.

Something is missing from the mag for me at present, although perhaps the sales numbers say I am in the minority

Personally , having started out in the 60's, with a second hand Pal Joey and RCS single channel it is interesting to see the simple side of modelling having a resurgence. I may be a dinosuar but you had to trim models properly, not with electronics to have any chance of a successful flight, an art that has been diluted over the years. I agree with Erfolg that there is too much attention given to the top end planes. You can't please everyone with a magazine but overall there is something for most fliers.

John

I think that one of RCM&E's strengths is the diverse content. I am not particularly interested in huge models but I may one day and it is interesting to see what other people are up to. I read Andy Ellison' article on the MXS 76/83 which confirmed that I don't want one! On the other hand, like Erfolg, I am not a single channel radio fan but unlike him I did like the Gigi vintage plan as it looks like a quick build (for a biplane) and had character (for electric/3 channel though). I am not into nostalgia per se but some of these old plans are great subjects for people new to building or the hobby in general.

I also liked Max Zuijdendorp's Verhees Delta plan and article very much. It was a project that I was considering attempting a couple of years ago and got as far as emailing Bart Verees to obtain a three view drawing as I couldn't find one on-line. So Max has now done the work for me! Thanks Max, a thoroughly nice guy, having met him at Greenacres. The CNC kit is the way to go with this one but the though of an enlarged version made of Depron appeals too, if only one had the time.

I always enjoy Dave Burton's articles although on this occasion I did have some 'issues' with his piece on thrust lines... I better leave it at that as I don't want to be responsible for starting a war! wink 2

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 13/07/2017 06:08:33

I totally agree that there has to be a spectrum of topics. The intensity that some ares are covered, is also another variable. The one thing I am passionate about, I want RCM&E to continue to both succeed and remain relevant.

I can fully appreciate the desire to indulge in some degree of retro coverage. I would suggest that the mid to late 1960s onwards, is of interst to a large section of the older present day modellers (that is me), with respect to equipment and models. For us oldens, at that time most of us could do FF, and many still have an interest in models from that era. The esoteric stuff, of single channel, was for the then older modellers with some money, not us pre-pubescent modellers, by and large.

I must confess I do have a mission, in that it seems that the majority by a large margin of club flyers, who are best described as "sport flyers" are by and large ignored, as a group. Our best representatives at the modelling level have been The Tim Hoopers, Nigel Hawes (who is noticeable by his absence) and Cyril Carr. It is their plans, their way of doing things that represent, in my opinion, the average group of club modellers.

The Quads, have a massive commercial future, not as convinced for the majority of RC modellers. Even the racing may not last. Yet a lot of paper has been expended on the area.

I used to be a glider guider. I still have a role within such a club. I know from personal experience, that era of keen competitive flat field type competitions is all but over. No longer the 80s at a comp, lucky to get 6, today. People no longer flock to the slopes in the numbers that were typical i the 70s. Most present day gliding is non competitive, electric models. For most readers any, other than occasional coverage of the moulded +£1, 000 model is irrelevant.

Non of my opinions is about ignoring these areas, just a comment on the need for balance and holding us readers.

I also accept the trades need to be aspirational with respect to models and equipment, just to be profitable.

The mag is no longer pressing all of my buttons with the certainty that it did. I personally want bigger electric type models, as they are affordable and fly better, and I am interested in enough information (I did read the recent articles) to instal and set up a gyro model, knowing nothing, in reality.

Posted by Erfolg on 13/07/2017 18:52:26:.

The esoteric stuff, of single channel, was for the then older modellers with some money, not us pre-pubescent modellers, by and large.

Single channel was for those without much spare cash ("disposable income" hadn't been invented back then) who often made our own Tx & Rx from circuits printed in the RCM & Electronics, Radio Modeller & even Aeromodeller mags. We also made other electronic gizmos & used things like cheap motors (e.g. Mighty Midget) with rubber band return springs for pulse proportional rudder. The pulses being supplied by an ever active thumb. Age of the modeller didn't enter into the requirement so long as you knew how to solder & read a circuit, or at least follow the instructions.

Pat Mac

Well you must be older than this old codger, Even of my generation, there are not many of us left, it must have been the exhortation to die before you get old. I do remember seriously thinking, will life be worth living after the age of 21, being that old must be absolutely awful.

My generation could only afford to do CL and FF. For you war babies, you had everything, disposable income for SC, Rock and Roll, beetle crushers, Teddy Boy Jackets.

I still remain to be convinced that there is much demand for SC, in this era. Early Proportional stuff, like the Gangster, Vertigo, may be. Even then, unless ready to go, not so sure. Although we all like reading about our Glory Years.

Rather amusingly, I thought, I took a Mighty Midget to the field, and explained what a great acquisition it was and how it would stand along side my Mabuchi and a open framed Taylor Meteor, as part of my motor collection. Who wants vintage diesels or glo motors when there are classic electric motors. Some almost believed the leg pull.

Erfolg,

As one who was playing with 'electrickery' in its model flight infancy, there are/were some classic electric motors!

Geist, Unger, Faulhaber even (at a bit of a stretch), Astro. Heavy 'paperweights' now as probably they were then with those lumps of batteries to power them called NiCads!

Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 14/07/2017 19:46:28:

The trouble with this forum and the magazine, people are using the latest 21st century technology to wallow in a past that probably never was.

You're right that 21st century technology is being used but not exclusively or because it's always necessary.

You're wrong in you're assumption that people are wallowing "in a past that probably never was".

Posted by PatMc on 14/07/2017 20:49:23:

The trouble with this forum and the magazine, people are using the latest 21st century technology to wallow in a past that probably never was.

You're right that 21st century technology is being used but not exclusively or because it's always necessary.

You're wrong in you're assumption that people are wallowing "in a past that probably never was".

In your opinion he's wrong Pat.

Personally I have no strong view on this one way or the other - but if I did it would still only be my opinion - as is yours. Its healthy to keep that in mind perhaps. wink 2

BEB

Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 15/07/2017 05:13:07:
Posted by PatMc on 14/07/2017 20:49:23:

In your opinion he's wrong Pat.

Personally I have no strong view on this one way or the other - but if I did it would still only be my opinion - as is yours. Its healthy to keep that in mind perhaps. wink 2

BEB

I note your opinion, BEB. However since Tom made a definite unverified (IMO unverifiable) statement in general terms, therefore I posted a definite rebuttal which I feel was justified.

If his post had been stated as an opinion I would have challenged it with some facts that IMO contradict his opinion.

IMO your opinion is off target.

wink 2

• 2 weeks later...
After a short layoff from modelling and purchasing of any model mags I happened upon this issue (Aug17) enjoyed the new look and found the content was still nicely diverse and to a high standard. Particularly enjoyed Alex Whittaker's adventures at Barkston Heath. Currently elbow deep in balsa dust building a Telemaster from plan(heaven!!)

Hi All

I'll add my view, RCM&E is still a good read as it has been over the years, and as I started with a Veron Deacon PAW 1.5 powered with Mcgreagor single channel radio 50 years ago in 1967, I'm 62 now and have spent thousands of £'s and hours on the hobby and built over 120 airframes, variety is the spice of life and I enjoy the re-published designs from way back and still marvel at the money spent flying the equivalent of a family car in the jet age, but that was like us buying our first proportional sets back in the late 70's £150 was a lot of money then, long may it continue, thank god for Balsa wood

Regards Ray