Morning all,

Please read below the official statement from Sarik Hobbies in regard to Traplet.

Sarik Hobbies Ltd. are pleased to announce they have acquired the rights to sell many of the products and services previously offered by Traplet Publications, excluding magazine publishing.
A new web site is under construction and we hope to be in the position to offer these products and services in the near future.
We hope to update you again soon.

Sarik Hobbies

As and addition to the previous statement regarding Sarik Hobbies, please be aware that the company has not taken on any of the liabilities of Traplet Publications, whose creditors should consult the administrators MB Insolvency, using the contact details below:

Email:      [email protected] 

Anyone who placed a credit card order with Traplet exceeding £100 should contact their card provider to claim their money back using section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act. Some card companies also offer consumer protection using a 'chargeback scheme' that may cover lower amounts, so again, please check with your card provider.

Sarik Hobbies

Here at Sarik Hobbies we are now getting close to the point where we can begin selling the former Traplet products.  We will post here as soon as things are in place such as phone line, website etc. 

Just  a quick note here to clarify the original Sarik Hobbies statement, that we would be offering "many of the product and services of Traplet"
We can confirm that ALL the plans and parts, including wood packs will be fully available, along with vac-formed and fibreglass accessories. 
This of course includes the old Traplet plans catalogue in it's entirety featuring the Brian Taylor, Dennis Bryant, Phil Noel, Duncan Hutson plans to name but a few.  The huge range of MyHobbystore plans are also fully available too.
Though not so relevant to readers on this thread, it's perhaps  worth mentioning that all boat, engineering, railway plans, line drawings etc along with kits from Myhobbystore and the former Traplet are included as well.

Sarik Hobbies 

Edited By Beth Ashby Moderator on 08/08/2017 10:41:58

That "Official" statement came out before the last lot of "moderations" were enforced.wink

also i had a letter from the insolvency company a week ago notifying me as i am a creditor.

but i was afraid to say anything in case i got told off.

anyway.

it is a great shame that they have gone to the wall.

Tony B

I was initially pleased to see that Sarik had managed to salvage something from the demise of Traplet. But I have just looked at who runs/ran these companies and it appears to be the same people ? Can someone set the record straight please have I got this wrong ?😯

Confused

"But I have just looked at who runs/ran these companies and it appears to be the same people ?"

Perhaps so, but if Sarik are a legally separate entity, then it means a safe way to move the plans & associated assets to Sarik without risking them going to Traple's creditors, or being sold/auctioned/destroyed.

I imagine the plans / laser cutting / parts service is a fairly low-risk business proposition, vs the magazines side of the company which can't be an easy one to take on - indeed if the same company directors have moved the plans archive without the magazine side, then that would seem to suggest they have decided to stop the publication side of things.

Edited By Nigel R on 02/08/2017 12:53:34

Paul C.

That's how it works.

After the Government and the Banks, the Directors of the company are probably the biggest creditors and in a position to do a deal with the liquidators. The liquidators job is to get the best return they can from the company's assets for the creditors. Obviously the government and the Banks won't be interested in anything other than cash. All the other creditors will have to wait and see what's is left, if anything.

The fact that the Directors already had another company ready and able to purchase the assets is open to speculation. Many of us who have been in business see this happening all the time. There is nothing illegal about it. How the "Company" was run before its demise will no doubt be looked at very carefully to make sure there were no irregularities.

Hi Kevin, thanks for the info just glad I am not in business myself sounds far to complex . Just hope that the new owners will be able to help out our fellow modelers who have outstanding orders with Traplet (not me by the way) that would be great way to start off their new venture, hope it all goes well for all concerned.

Paul.

Posted by kevin b on 02/08/2017 13:09:37:

The fact that the Directors already had another company ready and able to purchase the assets is open to speculation.

They have been directors of Sarik Hobbies since 1997 and 2010 respectively, although up until 2015 it was filing accounts as a dormant company.

It's worth saying that there seems to have been 2 Sarik companies - Sarik Hobbies may be newer than Sarik Vacform. Sarik Vacform made parts for our hobby for many years I think, with addresses in Bristol & Ledbury.

A difficult one for the mods this one.

This situation is not new and has happened many times in the past. Magazines companies regularly fail all over the world. It is often due to the fickleness of the readers as well as poor management.

The difference this time is the existence of the internet and the ability for ANYONE to post opinions wherever the forums / social media will allow.

Understandably the owners of this website do not want to be involved in any potential legal arguments regarding other company's legal situations.

Too many forumites (and not just here) have little, or no understanding of the legal implications regarding their postings, which after all are written statements.

Perhaps we should hold off the rejoycing for a while, at least until we understand the full meaning of the phrase "they have acquired the rights to sell many of the products and services previously offered by Traplet"

Traplet had many different portfolios in differing hobbies and crafts - as "many" does not mean "all" we are not yet out of the woods as t were

Well I for one wish Sarik Hobbies my best wishes for their attempts to create something from this sad situation.

Hopefully they will be able to create employment for some of Traplet's staff due to their increase in turnover and production.

I think it is time to move forward and hope that the next posts on this thread are further information as to what will be available to us in the future and when. I'm sure this will not be long in happening.

I think it was my post that was deleted. Probably as i was asking indirectly if the process was essentially a Pre Packaged Administration. I do not necessarily see it as a bad or dubious move. That is mainly because the company is sold as going concern, that creditors are mainly protected.

It just begs the question, that this site could concerned about discussing, what will change. I guess it this aspect of opportunities and possibilities that can be emotive, open to far ranging speculation.

My own position is a least the employees now have some hope. The other obvious questions that even the brief discussions have alluded to, what are the relationships between the various businesses. For me it is just curiosity, yet it does appear that others see this level of transparency as intrusive, and no one elses business. Although with another hat on, I do like to know who i am purchasing or dealing with.

Posted by kevin b on 02/08/2017 17:12:15:

Well I for one wish Sarik Hobbies my best wishes for their attempts to create something from this sad situation.

Hopefully they will be able to create employment for some of Traplet's staff due to their increase in turnover and production.

I think it is time to move forward and hope that the next posts on this thread are further information as to what will be available to us in the future and when. I'm sure this will not be long in happening.

I hope so too, but I am far from certain there is money to be made in selling plans and parts in the medium/long term. The number of builders out there is increasingly small and the number of free plans available online can't make it any easier either.

Edited By MattyB on 02/08/2017 18:38:54

Matty

I am not at all convinced that free plans have any significant impact on the number of plans that are purchased from the various sources.

I see the free plans as part of the story of what is keeping this hobby going. Even then i am not convinced that many of the plans as published with RCM&E are actually built then flown. Without free plans either building from them, or just pinching building methods, I perhaps may no longer be part of the hobby.

As others have alluded to, it is possibly the declining numbers of major advertisers that affect the economic of magazines more than any other single factor.

Another aspect that is a twin edged weapon is HobbyKing, their attractive prices helps many to indulge in there chosen hobby. The other side of the coin is that these keen prices, force other retailers to lower their margins, if they wish to maintain sales.

My main concern is that RCM&E continues to be published, particularly as we are diminishing in number, many are on reduced incomes, yet others are not as keen as they were when younger.

I suppose the money is to be made from selling the lasercut parts and moulded bits which are quite expensive yet very popular with the newer builders it seems. But you need to have the plans available to sell the parts!

Were there any other publishers of aeromodelling text books or were ( are) Traplet the only ones in Britain? It's quite important as without newly published bound books the libraries wont buy aeromodelling books and the subject will disappear from libraries.