Hi there. Se5a question

Howard Bowen

I bought a old used Flair Se5a. Once I got the cowl off I found some odd looking fuel lines. It's my first four stroke. I'm familiar with a wot4 2st glo and a three line system. But this has what looks like an external line to a black plastic blob on the side. Could this be a filler? Can't see how it's supposed to work. I have pictures but can we post here?

Advert

Hi Howard,

Can't answer your question but to post a pic go to the top of the page and click on 'Albums', this is where you have to upload pics to before you can import them into your post, this is done by clicking on the camera symbol contained within this reply box, easier to do than say.

The black plastic blob is a filler. There is a concealed section in the plastic running top to bottom in your photo. Hook your finger nail under the bottom and lever the centre bit out. This brings out the filler pipe. When shut like in your photo it's closed and sealing the fuel pipe shut.

It is not because it is a 4 stroke Howard, tanks for IC are either 2 pipe or 3 pipe

The previous owner has just arranged the pipes so as the model can be fuelled up without taking the cowl off each time.

You can use this set up

Or arrange your own layout.

As normal, just ensure one feed pipe, from the internal clunk pipe, goes to the carb

And another breather pipe to the silencer pressure nipple

Posted by Howard Bowen on 23/08/2017 06:52:58:
Ahhh thanks guys. Never seen one of these before. I've put a new battery Rx and switch into it. All I need to do now is set it up on my tx and maiden it!

Thanks again.

Cheers H

And also after checking that the model balances correctly (CG position)wink. Second hand models have a habit of having their CG move rearwards, especially if new and lighter gear is installed or the previous owner couldn't part with a favourite lump of nose lead and removes it before sale!. Never hurts to double check in any case.

Just Googled the model and the details (apparently from the Flair Website) are

From the Flair website:
The Flair SE5A FL1032

Centre of Gravity Position. 100 mm back from leading edge of the top wing.

Control Surface Movements
Rudder 20 mm each way
Ailerons up 20 mm, down 10 mm
Elevator 15 mm up and down

Edited By Cuban8 on 23/08/2017 08:00:54

Yep this is all good stuff.
Thanks.
About the filler I didn't want to start pulling stuff about if I didn't know what i was doing.
Never seen one of these before. I took an old 35meg rx out of it. So it's probably a few years old. Rest of the gear looks ok. Bought it at wings n wheels and just got around to it.
Im off flying my wot4 tonight after work. That's much simpler.

Anyone else Essex based? I'm at Flambirds club in Stow Marie's.
Thanks again.

• 2 months later...

How did you get on with the Flair SE5A?

I've got one in my collection but I've got my control movements set way lower than suggested and it can still get a bit twitchy!

I've a few of the Flair Scout series now; 2 Puppeteers, 2 Focker D7s, 2 Magnatillas and the SE5A.

Only started flying seriously this year but love the old biplanes!

I love flying my little Flair nieuport. Its a bit of a beast sometimes but really enjoyable none the less.

I dont recommend mixing aileron and rudder on the tx though as very often you need to use them in opposite directions. I would rather do manual mixing with the sticks as you have better control.

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 09:38:35:

I love flying my little Flair nieuport. Its a bit of a beast sometimes but really enjoyable none the less.

I dont recommend mixing aileron and rudder on the tx though as very often you need to use them in opposite directions. I would rather do manual mixing with the sticks as you have better control.

yesAs Jon says . Mixed rudder aileron if you do mix it needs to be able to be switched off as when landing with  the mix switched on will make keeping model level difficult. Train your thumbs it's quicker and easier .

Edited By Engine Doctor on 13/11/2017 09:55:56

Hi Jon,

Do you find the Nieuport a little more prone to "nosing over" on landing than some of its stablemates?

I'm looking for one for my collection but have seen a few videos of poor landings.

The SE5A is fine if you give it plenty of up elevator as it touches down.

Edited By Paul james 8 on 13/11/2017 10:08:03

Posted by Paul james 8 on 13/11/2017 10:07:41:

Hi Jon,

Do you find the Nieuport a little more prone to "nosing over" on landing than some of its stablemates?

I'm looking for one for my collection but have seen a few videos of poor landings.

It wont nose over but it is somewhat squirrely on both takeoff and landing. Cross wind is an absolute no as well. Because the wheels are right up front and the rudder is so powerful its easy to do S shape takeoff runs. Some fit gyro's, but i dont think its necessary as you soon learn how to control it. I would recommend making a sprung undercarriage though.

Below is an old video of my model. Its in 2 parts, but you get the whole flight in the end. Just click the next video as you reach the end.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 10:47:12

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 10:47:23

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 10:44:37:
Posted by Paul james 8 on 13/11/2017 10:07:41:

Hi Jon,

It wont nose over but it is somewhat squirrely on both takeoff and landing. Cross wind is an absolute no as well. Because the wheels are right up front and the rudder is so powerful its easy to do S shape takeoff runs. Some fit gyro's, but i dont think its necessary as you soon learn how to control it. I would recommend making a sprung undercarriage though.

Below is an old video of my model. Its in 2 parts, but you get the whole flight in the end. Just click the next video as you reach the end.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 10:47:12

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 10:47:23

Seemed to see the landing in the 3rd video?

Here is my SE5A first flying attempt.

Edited By Paul james 8 on 13/11/2017 14:27:52

Yea the videos are a right partwork. I will have to get a better one shot for me.

Your se5a flght looks pretty good. At a few points the model was screaming at you for some rudder. If you watch from 46 seconds, you apply some power and climb in a turn to the left. The reason it looks like it going to fall out of the sky is that it needs some left rudder to keep it in that left turn. Without it, you get that awkward looking semi side slip which is not nice. Also do you have alot of expo on the elevator?

Posted by Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 13/11/2017 15:16:02:

Yea the videos are a right partwork. I will have to get a better one shot for me.

Your se5a flght looks pretty good. At a few points the model was screaming at you for some rudder. If you watch from 46 seconds, you apply some power and climb in a turn to the left. The reason it looks like it going to fall out of the sky is that it needs some left rudder to keep it in that left turn. Without it, you get that awkward looking semi side slip which is not nice. Also do you have alot of expo on the elevator?

It was a bit of a jittery flight as I was doing some trimming while flying, I will have a go at using the rudder more in the turns. It has survived a few more flights since and I'm getting my head round it gradually

Don't think I've got any more expo than usual on the elevator? I've got way less travel than Flair recommend but it still seems pretty responsive.

My video was taken on the uvver arfs mobile phone so not the ideal thing for the job.

Posted by Paul james 8 on 13/11/2017 17:31:12:

Don't think I've got any more expo than usual on the elevator?

how much is usual? on a model like this I would start with none and then work up to no more than 10% if you really have to. lower than recommended rates is a good shout as well. You should always set up the model in response to the way the model feels in the air, not what the box tells you. Only 2 of my models have expo in them and that is only on one channel.

As mentioned before mixing rudder with your pinkies is a better solution than a radio mix for numerous reasons but if you are now on top of it then its all good.

Not ken to mix the aileron/rudder on the TX as it will likely screw up my landings, which seem to be going reasonably so far (touch wood)

I'll take off the expo if you think it will help Jon, I'm still in the early stages of learning so always interested to hear what others have to offer.

Sticking with the 35mhz for now