How do you keep track of model repairs!

Cliff Bastow

Hi all,

Well turning up at the patch for a fly the other day, I unpacked my car and started to rig my plane. Then I remembered that I damaged it the last time I flew it last year! This has happened to often I thought so decided to try and be more organized with repairs to my models.

Yesterday at work this T card holder and a load of blank T cards were getting thrown out as we are moving to a computerized logging system so I thought it would be ideal for my models.

wp_20170910_16_35_06_pro.jpg

My plan is that if I get home and a model needs work I will immediately write it on the card and move it to the Not Airworthy side until it is repaired. Should work well as long as I am disciplined!

It got me to wondering how other people keep track of their models.

Advert

nice, I need one of those!

You could also add another section on the card for deferred maintenance. As an example, over winter I need to remove the fuel tanks and gubbins from the front of my sea fury to mop up an accumulation of oil and upgrade the cowl mount screws. The cowl itself also needs a clean, new layer of glass over some cracks and a repaint. None of this is mission critical or stops the model from flying but it has been noted for attention over winter.

Edited By Jon Harper - Laser Engines on 10/09/2017 17:01:32

I've been using an Access Database to keep all my data, inspired by an article in RCM&E by Andy Ellison quite some years ago now.

Includes a critical note field in red regarding fitness to fly etc.

rc logs 2017

You wouldn't need Access to do this these days, Apache OpenOffice database can be used, I started a version for wider circulation but didn't finish it as there seemed to be little interest.

rc logs aoo.jpg

Both are relational databases so they easily allow additional data to be added for each model.

A whiteboard and permanent pens I find works quite well - it is attached to the wall in the workshop and I cross off the list when the job is done. That way it looks like I am getting somewhere on the jobs list too.

My wife saw this and now uses the same technique to keep an eye on my 'domestic jobs list' in the house - so use with caution.

A chalkboard would work well too.