Whinge time....so much for being a lucky shopper, 6 orders, 5 delivered before expected, 2 of those via royal mail second class, my hermes well that a different story, sat by window waiting for supposed order, dogs at gate he misses nowt n go's ballistic, teatime i look at tracking...attempt at delivery failed ? no card to say they've been...of course not they haven't been. Winged messenger got forked tongue.

Advert

Check with My Hermes to make sure they have the correct address.

However it could be that a delivery driver saw a dog at the gate and perhaps decided it wasn't worth the risk. There again if he had your phone number he should have called.

I have a great deal of success with My Hermes and to date they haven't damaged any of my parcels, which is more than can be said for Parcel Farce.

I find My Hermes very good, not had any problems receiving or sending. As far as I'm aware they use a network of local agents to deliver door to door, not there own staff and vehicles. I have a good relationship/arrangement with our local one, if I'm out it's left in a secure place and every time there is a note through the door advising. I have had 1 small package go missing, using another service (royal red one). After contacting the supplier and receiving a 2nd package from them (at no additional cost) the first one turned up 2 weeks later! I contacted the supplier and they sent a prepaid packet to send one back!

I had exactly the same experience with DPD. Waited in, tracked Mark - 'my driver' - all over the place. Got excited when he was 10 mins away!!!! Four of us in the house - all on stand by,.....next thing I know I have an email telling me that I'm not in and so they couldn't deliver!

A word springs to mind - it rhymes with "buyer", "tire" and "fire" etc.!

I was doubly annoyed - I had actually paid extra for next day delivery! Perhaps this sort of incident explains why, on another thread, I appear to have little sysmpathy for couriers.

BEB

Think that's bad. I recently bought something from Germany delivered by DHL to the UK and then to be delivered by UK Mail. The delivery day came and went. No delivery, no card through the box. Looked on line, it said address could not be found. Re-arranged delivery for later in the week. After another non-show, looked on line again and same message.

Then drove a round trip of 24 miles to collect it, to discover two DHL/UK Mail barcode labels with completely the wrong address, and sat between the two, the suppliers delivery note in the usual plastic wallet with the address plain for all to see and correct. Complained at the local office. Waste of time. Have done 5 on line complaints and they haven't bothered to respond to any, only sent a complaints numbers.

Having said that, Royal Mail have been very good, stuff always arrives promptly, and the postpeople are really friendly.

My Hermes, these are the people that left a big box in my back garden. No card in the letter box. I noticed the box by accident. How long it had been there, I've no idea, but it was very rain sodden. I picked it up with much difficulty, and delivered it to the correct address for them!

Posted by Stuart Coyle on 11/10/2017 21:26:17:

My Hermes, these are the people that left a big box in my back garden. No card in the letter box. I noticed the box by accident. How long it had been there, I've no idea, but it was very rain sodden. I picked it up with much difficulty, and delivered it to the correct address for them!

Did it have batterys and a charger in wink

For a laugh once I edited the wikipedia page for "Knock Knock Ginger" (the game of ringing on a door bell and running away) saying it was a popular hobby amongst Parcelforce drivers. Got removed within 10 minutes- no fun.....

I guess the issue with Hermes is that they don't pay well. So some people might (on principle) do a good job anyway, others take the "you pay rubbish, you get rubbish" approach.

I once sat in my front room (I was expecting a package), saw the parcelforce van drive up. They say in the van scribbling on a bit of paper, got out, walked straight up to the door and put the red card through the letter box! The doorbell and doorknocker were not involved in this process. I chased after them and asked them what the hell they were doing. They said it was lunchtime and most people were out so what's the point?

Hermes delivered my Wildthing.

Tracking said Wednesday, didn't arrive, phoned and was told it was "lost" ...... They said they would have to do a sweep of the warehouse and get in touch with sender blah blah blah.... I put the phone down in anger.

Phoned them later to be told it wasn't lost and would be delivered the following day which thankfully it was, good job it's a foamy as the box showed crush damage angry

From the other side, many years ago(over 10) my wife was a courier for mail order firms and got 50p per parcel. She had a country round which was well spread out and took a lot of time somedays to get round. If no-one was in she would leave a card and then get a call from the firm telling her she had to deliver that day even up to 10pm. After 2 years she told them what to do.

John

Im in the bunker (front room ) Steel helmet , gas mask, Bino's and broomstick at the ready . Waiting to coral My Hermes delivery man . I was informed that they turned up yesterday , rang door bell but had no response so left card. Strange as I was in all day! Awaiting re delivery.

Posted by John Tee on 12/10/2017 11:43:35:

From the other side, many years ago(over 10) my wife was a courier for mail order firms and got 50p per parcel. She had a country round which was well spread out and took a lot of time somedays to get round. If no-one was in she would leave a card and then get a call from the firm telling her she had to deliver that day even up to 10pm. After 2 years she told them what to do.

John

I've done multi drop, (pre sat nav days) it can be stressful chasing a clock when traffic messes you up, some doors have no number or just names, which you don't have on your sheet, street sign are missing or covered by a tree/hedge/vehicle, some days are a nightmare no matter how hard you try.

Posted by john stones 1 on 12/10/2017 11:59:35:
Posted by John Tee on 12/10/2017 11:43:35:

John

I've done multi drop, (pre sat nav days) it can be stressful chasing a clock when traffic messes you up, some doors have no number or just names, which you don't have on your sheet, street sign are missing or covered by a tree/hedge/vehicle, some days are a nightmare no matter how hard you try.

This is the sort of response we got on the other thread as well - basically "consider the poor courier, it's a very tough job." I don't doubt it, I'm sure the companies are ruthless. But that isn't really my problem is it?

I am offered a service - "pay this much get delivery at this time, pay a bit extra get earlier delivery". So I pay the extra. Then, when it doesn't arrive on time, as paid for, which it frequently doesn't, am I suppose to to just say "Ah well, they are very busy, I have a lot of sympathy with them, never mind"? I don't think so! And what is worse, to weddle out of any liability they lie (yes, let's call a spade a spade), they lie and try to claim it was my fault they couldn't deliver, when in reality they made no attempt whatsoever to deliver my parcel that day.

Remember, this timescale they have failed to meet is not of my design - it is service they offered me, I paid for and didn't get. Not just once, but many times.

Can you imagine any other aspect of life where we would just accept this? Suppose you went to a restaurant and it said steak was on the menu, but for a bit extra you could have fillet steak. So you order the fillet steak, and pay the extra. Now, suppose the waiter comes along and says: "Sorry about this, but the chef is really busy, and he's not paid very much. You have to feel sorry for him. So, its going to be just meat and potato pie and chips I'm afraid - but of course we'll still charge you for fillet steak because while you were at the toilet just now we did bring a fillet steak along - but you missed it."

Would you accept that? Its OK, I think I know the answer to that one! So why do we routinely take it from couriers - pay for one service - get another one defended by a cock and bull story that we know is false?

BEB

Edited By Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 12/10/2017 13:19:39

I have a friend who was made redundant a few years ago and the only work that he was able to get was to be either a Mini cab driver or a Courier . I was disgusted to find out how much he got for delivery per parcel and how many he had to do in a day. Fortunately he was able to re-train and is now a manager of our local garden centre.

Still waiting!