Need recommendation / tips on Spektrum Gear

FilmBuff

Looking to buy a 6 Channel Spektrum set - mainly to take advantage of the numerous BNF and ASX 3 models in the market. I fly electric and gliders exclusively.

Will also be good to have flight modes and four servo glider wing mixing.

I have always found Futaba to be 100% bullet proof and reliable, so welcome thoughts on:

• Which set to go for
  • Reliability and ease of operation
  • Differences in programming logic from Futaba
  • Can it do my wish list?
  • Any hints and tips

All help greatly appreciated!

Advert

I think any of their 'airware' range will do what you want.

I think this starts with the DX6e, through the 'normal' DX6 and right on up to the DX20.

If you want or need to put your wing servos on seperate channels, you'll need (at least) the DX8 Gen2, which is what I am currently using. Does what it says on the box, programming is (for me) relatively easy menu driven and quite intuitive. Can't comment on how it compares with Futaba, sorry, The only other radio I own is an ancient 35Meg Digifleet!!!blush

I've never had any issues with the transmitter - I did send a receiver back to their German service centre as I thought it may be faulty. They sent me back a new one, which did exactly the same thing as the old one did, so I used it and it's perfect in use, so I'm thinking it was not faulty at all. Oops!!

hth

Kim

But, servo exponential is, for little movement at centre a negative value on Futaba. Positive value on Spectrum.

Don't be tempted to buy new Spectrum receivers on E Bay, I reckon most are fakes, and if the manufacturer can't for shame put his name on the product, then why would you want to use it.

Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 01/11/2017 16:35:04:

Don't get the older Dx6i the mixing is very limited, also if you fly electric 4 servo wing gliders (or aerotow your gliders) you'll need at least 7 channels.

Is that because the throttle stick is used to control variable camber?, So I need another proportional channel for motor control?

Edited By FilmBuff on 01/11/2017 17:25:47

Posted by FilmBuff on 01/11/2017 17:25:16:
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 01/11/2017 16:35:04:

Don't get the older Dx6i the mixing is very limited, also if you fly electric 4 servo wing gliders (or aerotow your gliders) you'll need at least 7 channels.

Is that because the throttle stick is used to control variable camber?, So I need another proportional channel for motor control?

Edited By FilmBuff on 01/11/2017 17:25:47

If you are doing gliders properly you'll need the following channels

1 & 2. ailerons

3 & 4 Flaps

5 elevator (or half V tail)

6 rudder (or other half V tail

7 throttle or tow release

That way you can have full wing camber, crow braking and aileron-flap mixing for full span ailerons, I set mine up (not Spectrum) so each flight phase has a different mix.

Edited By Frank Skilbeck on 01/11/2017 18:43:06

• 1 month later...

So, I bought a second hand but never used DX6i tranny for £70. It does not have a receiver - so my next "ask" is to get some opinions on what's a good Rx.

I have read some reviews on "Orange" products, and many mention that they keep loosing the bind. Do Spektrum do a small, light Rx?

First port of call for this gear is an Elf DLG, so the Rx has to be small.

All help appreciated.

Edited By FilmBuff on 22/12/2017 09:45:51

FilmBuff,

I've used a variety of Orange RX's with good results and I've never had one lose the bind when using a DX6i or DX8. In my opinion they're great for small foamies, but I've used them in larger models also without problems. Additionally, I've never suffered range issues or any other problem that could be attributed to the RX.

I'd have no qualms about using an Orange RX in a small DLG like the Elf. I'm considering the HK 1.5m DLG at the moment and if I go ahead and buy one I will kit it out with an Orange RX. I can't recall which particular orange RX's I use, but they all have twin antenans which I always orientate at 90 degrees. For small models I also remove the plastic case to save weight and space.

Steve.

Gangster . The only DSM2 pile in I had was an Easy Glider at about 40 feet right in front of me , just purring along gently . Sudden motor cut followed by vertical dive a second or so later ! Mud saved most of the damage ! Investigation showed radio still working , plenty of volts . An Orange Rx . Never used DSM2 since and no problems in 000,s of flights. Lots of Spekkie RX's did the same thing at varying heights ! No one uses DSM2 that I fly with now and the problem has gone ! Just my experience . My DX9 has had the most use of all radios in 48 years and zero problems apart from the one mentioned above. Colin

Interesting to read the above comments on DSM2. Most of my stuff uses this and there are rarely any problems with it. I believe that it was banned from importing new Tx`s by the EU on this system because it grabs hold of two frequencies instead of hopping over the whole band, but you can still continue to use what you already have. Note that most bind and fly models still use this.

I use a large No. of Orange Rx`s, particularly the 9 channel ones which seem to be at least as good as the very much more expensive JR versions. I would not trust them in some of my scale models otherwise.