Pilot RC Sbach 100cc

Rich too

Advert

I think servos are over specced a lot these days. Pilot specify a min 180 oz in which equates to only 13kg. And I am no 3D flyer!! I think on balance I will go for the 5765's which are slightly higher spec, and comfortably over what Pilot rec.

Edited By Rich too on 18/11/2017 19:22:35

A word of warning, about a week ago my DLE 120 sheared the four 5mm counter sunk set screws that hold the engine to the metal plate that then mounts to the said plate to the bulkhead via the standoffs with 6mm bolts. I was doing some 3D tumbling at the time which does I know induce fairly heavy gyroscopic loads, any way as I flew out of the tumble I was aware of a distinct change of note from the model and found that the throttle was jamned at nearly full throttle thanks to the engine moving forward in the cowl so had to promptly kill the ignition and land dead stick. I overshot the strip and took out my landing gear but repairs will not be too difficult.

The said countersunk bolts may look like they are high tensile but they are not as I drilled the remains of one quite easily, also the allen key socket is very small in them so making it difficult to give them a little more tightness and they could be longer as the holes in the rear of the crankcase are considerably deeper than the supplied bolts

I don't think I can go to bigger diameter bolts but will definitely be using high tensile bolts longer in length and not of the countersunk variety

P.S. enjoying your build thread

Edited By Ultymate on 21/11/2017 08:47:18

A bit intrigued. On the Firewall to Firewall box junction, does the balsa triangle strip actually add any noticeable strength or other structural benefit or is it there for aesthetic reasons? I would have thought that aluminium angle strip and multiple bolts would be where the strength lies.

Anyway.. Watching this. I love to see how these things go together

Martyn

Posted by Ultymate on 21/11/2017 08:45:09:

A word of warning, about a week ago my DLE 120 sheared the four 5mm counter sunk set screws that hold the engine to the metal plate that then mounts to the said plate to the bulkhead via the standoffs with 6mm bolts. I was doing some 3D tumbling at the time which does I know induce fairly heavy gyroscopic loads, any way as I flew out of the tumble I was aware of a distinct change of note from the model and found that the throttle was jamned at nearly full throttle thanks to the engine moving forward in the cowl so had to promptly kill the ignition and land dead stick. I overshot the strip and took out my landing gear but repairs will not be too difficult.

The said countersunk bolts may look like they are high tensile but they are not as I drilled the remains of one quite easily, also the allen key socket is very small in them so making it difficult to give them a little more tightness and they could be longer as the holes in the rear of the crankcase are considerably deeper than the supplied bolts

I don't think I can go to bigger diameter bolts but will definitely be using high tensile bolts longer in length and not of the countersunk variety

P.S. enjoying your build thread

Edited By Ultymate on 21/11/2017 08:47:18

That's odd, I've never come across a similar issue. Perhaps they are sacrificial? Thanks for the heads up on it.yes

Posted by Martyn K on 21/11/2017 09:22:25:

A bit intrigued. On the Firewall to Firewall box junction, does the balsa triangle strip actually add any noticeable strength or other structural benefit or is it there for aesthetic reasons? I would have thought that aluminium angle strip and multiple bolts would be where the strength lies.

Anyway.. Watching this. I love to see how these things go together

Martyn

I agree Martyn, the triangle is supplied and the manual says fit it! There is also more of it on the inside. I usually pin the firewall, I don't think I'll bother on this one! wink

Posted by Ultymate on 21/11/2017 18:03:23:
Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2017 17:07:19:

Looking good Rich. yes

Had the chance of an Sbach recently with twin in it for a really good price, too big for my car though. sad

Nah, cars too small for your S bach

Can't afford another one Brian sad Got a trailer started in my garden though. wink

Posted by john stones 1 on 21/11/2017 17:07:19:

Looking good Rich. yes

Had the chance of an Sbach recently with twin in it for a really good price, too big for my car though. sad

Cheers John, hopefully it will just fit in my car wink I certainly won’t be buying any more this size - not unless I inherit a hanger laugh