Laser Engines - Technical questions

Jon H

I confirmed that the YT Hurricane is out of production now, so I won’t get one of those. I was thinking that if they do another nice Allied forces Warbird suitable for the 180 I might look at it too ( e. g the Hellcat) . Hopefully they will be at wings an Wheels again . I haven’t got time to do another full build but the YT planes look a good halfway house and the fuselage at least avoids wrinkly film.

Advert

ESM are the company that supplied YT and its ESM that have closed down. YT are now doing the Toprc models which are stunning but larger and dearer. I priced up their mustang as it looks awesome and i was over 1500 quid for airframe and retracts alone. With the engine, radio etc its easily a £2500-£3000 model. Cant get it out of my mind though.

Given that we are off topic a bit here, i wonder if it would be worth creating some sort of warbird thread for discussing the various options available to a given powerplant. thoughts?

Thanks Jon. Good idea as I’m keen to check a number of options for the 180 . It would save people having to call you up so much . Obviously Laser engines will go into most ARTFs if the modeller is prepared to do the low tank adaption work needed in some cases but it is much easier to check the “easy fit” options first.

The Tony N 72'' jobs always seem to end up weighing a ton. Not exactly sure why but im yet to hear of a customer getting one under 18lbs.

In any case this conversation seems to prove that a dedicated thread would work so I think we should create one. Shall I do the honours or does someone else fancy it?

I just fitted 2 new piston rings and removed the crank to seal flanges on the case and forgot which way the piston goes, does it matter which side the oil feed hole goes for the main bearing ?

img_2934.jpg

Have I got the cam timing correct at TDC ?

img_2935.jpg

Posted by Bob Howard on 30/05/2018 12:34:14:

Jon,

Most important question of all - how is the move going, and when will everything be back in production?

Very slow but mostly done. I had engines in stock last week and still have some now.

Don't bother trying to buy one though as im on holiday and no one else will bother to answer the phone. Sigh.

Im back on the 12th

Hey Guys,

Anyone flying a 300v on a 3D or slower stye aircraft ? I just fired mine up in my BH Storch a couple of nights ago. I'm getting 9,090rpm on a 21x6 and I'd like to get the rpms down into the 8,500 range. I could go less but I'm trying to get as much thrust as I can get and my target is in the 50mph pitch speed range.

The Storch is set up as a glider tug so I'm hoping to get as much pulling power as I can and a 20x8 pitch prop just seems too fast. I've contacted Xoar and they can make some 7 pitch props which I think may be useful.

The 50cc 3D 2 stroke guys fly a 23x8 as a common standard. Has anyone flown(or tested) a 23x8 on a 300v ?

If Jon wern't on Holiday I bet he'd say "if the 23x8 turned anything over 7,000rpm your good" lol...

I'm running 10%nitro and 10%oil.

Joe

Edited By Joespeeder on 31/05/2018 21:57:27

I would have thought the larger diameter and lower pitch prop would be the way to go assuming the airframe can swing a prop diameter you want (ground clearance). The other limiting factor will be the amount of power the engine produces over its rev range. If to put too larger prop on it will create too much load across the engine speed range and not allow it to rev out.

You could try the 23x8 (if you have one) and see how it goes (that's 2 inch diameter and two inches on pitch) which it a lot more load on the engine so it might not pull it.

Better to get a 23 x 6 if you can...or 3 of 4 blade and same pitch as they should be okay at low speed.

PS Jon might be on holiday, but he is watching wink

Thanks Chris,

Yup, I'm with you. I started with the 21x6 since it was easy to get but it's right at the edge of the upper rpm band.

When I run numbers the I think I'm headed toward a 21x7 or 22x6 WWII.... I think.

I have both on their way plus a 22x7 WWII. I also have a Wilga 22x7 carbon prop on its way. It's a weird looking thing and I'm guessing too much prop but I'm tired of guessing. lol

I thought there may be someone flying a 3D style aircraft with a 300v that may have experimented with these larger diameters and various pitches. I'm having the 21x7 and 22x7 WWII prop custom made by Xoar so I'll have tried everything I can when done testing. As always, I'm running 10% nitro and 10% oil.

The Storch is the most confusing project I've ever done. It flys well but at two completely different CG's. I have a theory on why but that would just start a huge off topic discussion here.🤣

I'll keep you posted with as much data as I can as I go.

Joe

Edited By Joespeeder on 01/06/2018 12:01:15

Edited By Joespeeder on 01/06/2018 12:02:23

Joe, you are about 1000rpm off with your expectation. Shoot for 7500, 8000 if you must. You really don't need more and you can live with a much lower pitch speed than 50 with the storch. I use 55-60mph for my WWII fighters without issue.

22x6, 20x8, perhaps 21x8. Basically, if the engine is happy and its over about 7200rpm, just run with it.

Trebor, ill get back to you later. I just got home from my 'oliday

ok im back.

First off, when you sight down the centre of the cam lobe you should see that it is aligned on a space between two teeth. So, with the engine at tdc insert the inlet (left) cam so that when you count clockwise from the centreline it engages the pinion drive on the 6th space with a tooth either side when counting the c/l space as no1. The exhaust cam is the same trick but you count anti clockwise and it should engage on the 5th and 6th space with a tooth between