Powered by Laser, a gallery thread

Jon H

Advert

Posted by john stones 1 on 14/02/2018 19:04:44:
Posted by Don Fry on 14/02/2018 18:44:30:

Ditto, but on a sunny day with that colour scheme.

Sunny day, what's that like ?

Sunny days are fake news at this point.

Lovely models though, just don't let my Nieuport see that Pfalz!

Oh dear, maybe mine should belong in a thread ‘Overpowered by Laser’.

Took the P40 up to the field today for its maiden with the 240v up front. This was the first time I’d run the engine but it started after about 10 secs on the electric wrist and sounded superb, better than my 160v. After warming up I ran it to max revs although it faded a bit at the top end and then back to mid revs. Back up to max revs and ‘bang’, the spinner was thrown off followed by a rapid engine kill by me. This is what had happened:

7ce0fb41-febb-4b77-aff0-3f6fd90b26ff.jpeg

cdd4ee81-4a80-4198-bc10-641f1e52589e.jpeg

The bulkhead had been ripped out! Looking at it closer it is obvious that the connection between the bulkhead and the fus is very limited and a very poor design. This is a Seagull Models ARTF supposedly suitable for a 35cc gas engine, IMO this is a massive flaw in their construction. Now debating what to do!

Probably gone a bit off topic with my post so sorry for that and will close my entry.

Edited By Ron Gray on 16/02/2018 18:27:26

Yikes! that's certainly not as beefy as I would like to see for a model that size. I do wonder if the engine threw the sprinner/prop first and the sudden shock pulled the engine off. That said, its unusual for our engines to throw props and the break seems to be in the direction of the engines thrust. Still a weird one, and obviously the vibration of a single cylinder engine of almost any kind would certainly have done some damage.

It might be worth starting a new thread so that others can see the issue and make modifications to their own model. A phone call to the distributor and even a post on seagull's facebook page might also be a good idea to prevent what could be a nasty accident.

I assume the engine made it through unscathed?

• 1 month later...

Thanks Tom, I needed them to achieve the ground clearance for the props and way the grass is growing/muddy runway it was the right decision wink.

After the taxi tests with one foray into the "infield" section I did notice that the last 2 inches of the props were rather green during the post run clean so it must be assisting with the grass cutting duties as well!

At last! Our field had become dry enough to drive on, and the grass runway firm enough to fly from, even though the grass was still 3in long. It's been quite a wait from last November when I finished the 65in span 11lb Krier Great Lakes until today when I finally maidened her. I'd checked the Laser 155 out on the bench on its APC 16x8 but it had never run in the model until today. So final throttle setting up was done this morning at the field.

No problem!

Once I'd adjusted the throttle servo travel to provide a nice idle, and set up a 2-position switch to fully close the throttle and stop the engine if required, there was nothing else to do but fly her, egged on with enthusiastic help, support and encouragement from clubmate Martyn K of these forums, the only other flier there despite the ideal flying conditions.

So off she went, the 155 running well and sounding utterly gorgeous. I'd set the control surface throws on the scaled-up bipe to the same angular movements as my original Enya .46FS - powered 47in span version which I'd designed built and published in RC Modeler and RCMW in 1989; it's a good job that I had noted these movements on the plan for future builders.

Well the first flight took me back 30 years. A bit of up trim and, a bit of right on the first circuit, and the plane felt so comfortable and dialled in that with the engine running so well it would have been remiss of me not to try a few aeros. Three 10-minute flights packed with loops, slow rolls, vertical rolls, stall turns, 8-point hesitation rolls, vertical 8, octagonal loop, flick rolls, spins, avalanches and on it went. The new 155 inspired complete confidence as it purred through that lot with all the appropriate throttle variations between idle and full chat without a hiccup. Looking back and thinking about it, I hadn't even flown any model since last November, so the 'Lakes played its part very well, too; it's a natural for performing airshow style aerobatics.

Amazing.

Thanks Jon. Your 155 is an absolutely superb engine.

Gordon

krier gt lakes 001a.jpg

Great looking model Gordon. It really looks the part and its good to hear the 155 did the business.

Once its had 5 or 6 flights try an 17x8. You will loose a little straight line speed but will gain overall thrust and that should suit a draggy biplane.

Hi Gordon,

Great model!

My (modified Seagull) Bucker Jungmeister is the same size, 65", 11lb, and flies on a Metz wooden 17x6 prop on the Laser 155.

Flew both Thursday and yesterday, first time out since the autumn, and a great pleasure it was!

The 155 was turning 8200-8400rpm on the 17x6 Metz.

e23.jpg

Steve.

Edited By Steve Dunne on 22/04/2018 09:06:09